I can't sell my guitars.

Virgman

• Members

This is my problem too. I have a bunch of mediocre guitars, even ones that haven't come out of the case in probably YEARS. But in spite of the logical reasons, I can't (for emotional reasons) let go of them. I over-think this so much and I could write a huge wall of text, but you know.

I was especially bad with the truck I sold last August. I bought it new and drove it for 15 years. 197K miles on the odometer and I put all of them on myself, and I had been a lot of places the first time in my life with it. It was difficult for me to even list it and when it sold I was devastated. I felt like we had a relationship and I had let it down, as if it were a beloved pet or a wife. I didn't care about the money, or that now I don't have to hassle with parking 2 vehicles and all that.

I still miss it, sometimes.

• Members
Even the mediocre ones. They are like friends.

I can sell mine at the drop of a hat if I need something else. That said, I have a couple that I love dearly. Sometimes when I'm playing #1 I think, " When I'm dead some dummy is going to get this guitar and F it all up. It's so perfect...Man, I wish I didn't have to die."

:)

4492831a475837aef69d1ca8b486d0db.jpg.6a628d842a2854d86f563426b72dec8a.jpg

• Members

I have sold guitars that I wish I had never sold but I needed the money.56 Blonde & 58 Lavander Strats, Firebird 1,2 SG Customs and a 60 Mary Kay slab board Strat many Gibson, Fenders, Mosrites, Ricks , Ect. . I told myself I'ld never sell a guitar because I needed the money again and I havn't. Now I have 38+ guitars and I should get rid of some that I don't used or play anymore. I'll never find or be able to replace any of them if I sell them but they should be played. It a lot tougher to sell than just keep them.

• Members
I'll never find or be able to replace any of them if I sell them but they should be played. It a lot tougher to sell than just keep them.

This is the other thing: "Someday I may pull one out and enjoy it, and and in the meantime it doesn't cost me anything to store them up against the wall in my bedroom."

• Members

I almost sold a sunburst Strat because the pickups sounded crappy, but I bought a loaded pickguard for it and I'm glad I kept it now....the screw holes didn't line up right but I took a small drill bit and re-drilled them because I'm never going to change it again anyway....

• Members

I can sell mine at the drop of a hat if I need something else. That said, I have a couple that I love dearly. Sometimes when I'm playing #1 I think, " When I'm dead some dummy is going to get this guitar and F it all up. It's so perfect...Man, I wish I didn't have to die."

:)

This. I could never sell the beast, but have bought/sold/traded eeverything else and had no trouble doing so. Now, if I ever bond with another one the same way, may be different

• Members

To be serious for a minute, the problem with keeping the old stuff is that you will lie on your death bed thinking of all the instruments you never had because you kept the old socks racked up on the wall.

Frankly the more guitars you flow through your life the more likely you are to find the best ones for you. You will know them when you play them. Keeping the old stuff that you don't play is pretty pointless against the millions waiting for you to find them. Keeping them has an opportunity cost and maybe for lack of the "right one" even a career cost.

• Members

It's not like I've only have had the guitars I presently own. Over the years I've bought and sold many ( I've owned about 250 different Guitars ). The ones I have now have been in my collection for a long time. Yes I do regret selling some but not all. The ones I have now are guitars that I have bonded with on some level and if someone call me for a session I most always have a guitar that is perfect for what they hear in their head.

• Members

OK, here's my take on the subject: I've been through quite a few guitars in the past twelve years, but it was more about replacing stuff that either sucked or didn't really work for me personally and replacing it with stuff that I really enjoyed picking up and playing. I'm now at a point where I seriously doubt that I'll ever buy another electric guitar. I feel fortunate to have ten electrics that are just a joy to pick up and play. I don't feel like I have any "mediocre" guitars although some were picked up for a song on Craig's list and some are heavily modded in order to optimize their potential. I'm working with a new guitar player that is a bit of a gear junkie with forty something guitars, mostly top-shelf and he's blown away by my Carlo Robelli 335, my MIM Fender Squier Series Strats and my Washburn P290. I have four relatively top-shelf American guitars (Gibson, Fender, Hamer) and I don't put them above any of the workhorse cheapies I've acquired. Truth is that I barely touch some of my more valuable guitars like my Hamer Mirage II but when I plug it in to see if I can sell it, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Archived