FFS's, can we get this forum working properly?

billybilly

• Members

I'm sorry but every once in a while I get frustrated with the inability to make this forum functional. I don't get it? There are thousands upon thousands of functional forums and yet time and time again, this one fails to deliver. If it wasn't for the company here I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Get it right for FFS's... It's not like Musicians Friend doesn't have the money. Makes no sense?

Okay, rant over, carry on.

• Members

There are two sides to this - first kudos for having the best overall forum dealing with musical instruments. The discussions are interesting, the level of moderation is just right, ads are inoffensive, the price is right and most of the time it works pretty well. We forget to say "thank you" to MF and the mods for what they do for us every day.

But it does seem like so many other software roll outs and upgrades that there are too many problems and this last batch have been frustrating to me. I know they are working on it and it will all be fixed. So before I throw too many brickbats I'll just sit back and keep my fingers crossed.

• Members
There are two sides to this - first kudos for having the best overall forum dealing with musical instruments. The discussions are interesting, the level of moderation is just right, ads are inoffensive, the price is right and most of the time it works pretty well. We forget to say "thank you" to MF and the mods for what they do for us every day.

But it does seem like so many other software roll outs and upgrades that there are too many problems and this last batch have been frustrating to me. I know they are working on it and it will all be fixed. So before I throw too many brickbats I'll just sit back and keep my fingers crossed.

Your right Freeman, I was dwelling on the negative and overlooking the positive, didn't have my coffee yet. :D

• Moderators

There is a mix of discomfort and frustration amongst mods, admins and developers about many/all of the issues that we thought had gone away, but there is non stop work behind the scenes when it is known about or reported in a suitable way. I'm glad I'm not doing any of the stuff that is still plaguing the site, but the developers are all part of this community, and it appears to my limited view that this forum continues to keep it's head above water in spite of the problems, and the people who are fixing it are also writing articles, reviews etc, so we're as close as I know to an "anarcho syndicalist commune".

• Members
There is a mix of discomfort and frustration amongst mods' date=' admins and developers about many/all of the issues that we thought had gone away, but there is non stop work behind the scenes when it is known about or reported in a suitable way. I'm glad I'm not doing any of the stuff that is still plaguing the site, but the developers are all part of this community, and it appears to my limited view that this forum continues to keep it's head above water in spite of the problems, and the people who are fixing it are also writing articles, reviews etc, so we're as close as I know to an "anarcho syndicalist commune".[/quote']

I appreciate all the work the mods, admin and developers are doing and I really believe they are doing their best but at the same time, being owned by such a wealthy company, I'm not sure there is any excuse not to have a stable platform given the funding that "should" be available. Furthermore, its in their best interest too to build this community and it makes no sense that every other forum on the internet doesn't seem to have any of these problems.

• Members

The site is poorly managed. It's that simple. All of the noise about "work behind the scenes" and etc. ignores the simple point made above: this website's technical performance is markedly poor compared to others. The only way that happens over a decade is by having poor leadership. My one and only exchange with someone who presented themselves as somewhat 'in charge' was astonishing: rather than discuss any of the topics at hand, he attempted to get me to shut up by flaunting his music industry (e.g., offline) resume.

I did once make a pointed request to know the background and experience of the development team here, and that was received with hostility. As a former manager in the digital business units at two multinational companies I will assert that the CV of your development team is something most places want to boast of, not obscure with defensiveness and threats of banning.

Which is too bad, because as so many have noted (either explicitly or via their continued presence) the human factor here among mods and contributors is really of top quality.

Archived