Make it easier to learn really fast parts

RockPianoman

• Members

If you get the free Winamp media player and then install the free Pacemaker plugin for it, it will slow down MP3's without changing pitch so the guitar stays in tune.....I'm not sure if it will slow down other file types......

After installing Winamp and Pacemaker, go into preferences on Winamp and click on DSP.....you'll see it in there and when you click on it the control panel for Pacemaker will appear....if you drag it so it touches Winamp it will appear and disappear with Winamp.....it has a reset button on Pacemaker that returns it to neutral settings where the music isn't affected by it.....

This tells a little bit about Pacemaker.....

http://www.surina.net/pacemaker/

pacemaker_main.png

Winamp

http://www.winamp.com/

• Members

Why stop there?

It's kinda funny....I remember when my goal for my song list was 1000 (in 1982 when I started)......I'm 53.......

I'll explain.....( I didn't bring this up).....I was posting a link for Winamp.....

I started playing solo shows in Jan 1982....(I am saving this to a document so I can explain easier from now on)....

To be fair, the laptop is a crucial piece of the picture and without it, I would be looking at a lower number of songs (every song is in the laptop and the laptop is on a cast iron sheet music stand at every show).....I neatly drape a black terry cloth towel over the sheet music stand to prevent scratches on the laptop.......you have to make sure the laptop can breathe so you can't block the input or the output of the fan.....I put a really small flat piece of wood in a certain spot and airflow isn't restricted.....every laptop's fan & vents are different.....

I condensed every song down to a 1 or 2 page document and they are all in alphabetical order....I've been putting them into laptops since Windows 98 was released (17 years ago)....it's over 7000 songs now and I have a goal for passing 10,000......to be honest, I should be ashamed I don't have more songs on my list than I do now when you consider how many years I've been playing shows and how many years I've been condensing my songs into documents.....my current laptop has a USB footswitch for turning pages back & forth....

Another thing is I have always been in relationships with one lady or another over the years and we both worked away at getting this job done at the same time either on two typewriters or two computers .....before the Windows 98 computers when we used two typewriters we used sheet protectors and I wrote in the chords......I welded the 3 rings in the notebook so my pages could never fall out.....I still have those notebooks....all my exes got copies of all the songs too.....for notebooks and sheet music books you should also use a cast iron sheet music stand and you can angle them so your books stay open....the laptop is way better though (especially at windy gigs outside as long as it's not too bright outside to read the laptop).....I made a clip on shade for my laptop because I used to play a restaurant once a week in the afternoon and the laptop was hard to read.....I'd probably still be playing there but I moved to a different state.....

I suppose it's possible that if I really busted my ass that someday I wouldn't need the laptop but I already have too many stuffed in my head and I'm not crazy about it.....even without memorizing them, there is too much that needs remembering (licks, leads, weird chords, which sounds to use, etc)......I put notes on the documents but it takes an enormous amount of work to keep them polished.....(they are all wordpad or rich text documents with chords & lyrics and any information needed to play the song)......

It's turning out to be too much but I keep collecting more and I keep putting them into the laptop......it isn't as bad if they're in the laptop but with more in my head (rubber room, hear I come).....sometimes I think that.....

Seriously, especially when I wake up every morning chord progressions and lyrics are speeding through my head because I have to keep them all tight and they stay in my head through the day too.....I like to get involved in demanding projects to get a little relief....it is not good for my mental health.....

I would not recommend this to anybody.....seriously.....I use it as a gimmick when I book shows but IT ISN'T WORTH IT.....

What sucks even worse is the morons at the bars request the same 30 - 40 songs.....it seems like it's been a huge waste of time.....I use the list and play what I want too but I always play their requests first so it sucks.....it always sucks because of that......unfortunately most of the songs I play are requests....

I have a lot of work and bookings but I hate playing the same songs all the time and that's what it really is when you play requests and that's what my shows are....people really like making requests (even if they are the same songs everybody requests) and without requests, I'm not sure if the shows would be as successful....

That's what sucks.....it's kinda like a never-ending cycle of shows playing songs I'm super sick and tired of.....I must be an academy award winning actor because I would rather vomit on them than to play "those" songs......and I always act like their request is the 1 song I would love playing more than any other......what's funny is I think they believe I'm as happy to play them as I act like I am......they have a look on their face like "Good.....I picked a song he likes"......

When someone picks a song I actually like to play I almost go poo poo in my panties from shock.....

If I had a dollar for every time someone requested "Piano Man" or "Sweet Caroline" I could have retired wealthy 20 years ago....(my shows are guitar and keys).....most of my requests I have to play keys.....

• Members

Ytd. Youtube downloader does it with the video and audio - in conjunction with vlc player. Be careful dowloading ytd though or you will be agreeing to loads of advertising crap.

I used to use it but I can play all utube from memory now.

• Members
That's what I hear......

It's kinda funny....I remember when my goal for my song list was 1000 (in 1982 when I started)......I'm 53.......

I'll explain.....(I didn't bring it up).....I was posting a link for Winamp.....

I started playing solo shows in Jan 1982....(I am saving this to a document so I can explain easier from now on)....

To be fair, the laptop is a crucial piece of the picture and without it, I would be looking at a lower number (every song is in the laptop and it's on a cast iron sheet music stand at every show).....I condensed every song down to a 1 or 2 page document and they are all in alphabetical order....I've been putting them into laptops since Windows 98 was released....it's over 7000 songs now and I have a goal for passing 10,000......to be honest, I should be ashamed I don't have more songs on my list than I do now when you consider how many years I've been playing shows and how many years I've been condensing my songs into documents.....my current laptop has a USB footswitch for turning pages back & forth....

I suppose it's possible that if I really busted my ass that someday I wouldn't need the laptop but I already have too many stuffed in my head and I'm not real crazy about it.....even without memorizing them, there is too much that needs remembering (licks, leads, weird chords, which sounds to use, etc)......I put notes on the documents but it takes an enormous amount of work to keep them polished.....(they are all wordpad or rich text documents)......

It's turning out to be too much but I keep collecting more and putting them into the laptop......it isn't bad if they're in the laptop but more in my head (rubber room, hear I come).....sometimes I think that.....

Seriously, especially when I wake up every morning chord progressions and lyrics are speeding through my head because I have to keep them all tight and they stay in my head through the day too.....I like to get involved in demanding projects to get a little relief....it is not good for my mental health.....

I would not recommend this to anybody.....seriously.....I use it as a gimmick when I book shows but IT ISN'T WORTH IT.....

What sucks even worse is the morons at the bars request the same 30 - 40 songs.....it seems like it's been a huge waste of time.....I use the list and play what I want too but I always play their requests first so it sucks.....it always sucks because of that......unfortunately most of the songs I play are requests....

I have a lot of work and bookings but I hate playing the same songs all the time and that's what it really is when you play requests and that's what my shows are....people really like making requests (even if they are the same songs everybody requests) and without requests, I'm not sure if the shows would be as successful....

That's what sucks.....it's kinda like a never-ending cycle of shows playing songs I'm super sick and tired of.....I must be an academy award winning actor because I would rather vomit on them than to play "those" songs......and I always act like their request is the 1 song I would love playing more than any other......what's funny is I think they believe I'm as happy to play them as I act like I am......they have a look on their face like "Good.....I picked a song he likes"......

When someone picks a song I actually like to play I almost go poo poo in my panties from shock.....

If I had a dollar for every time someone requested "Piano Man" or "Sweet Caroline" I could have retired wealthy 20 years ago....(my shows are guitar and keys).....most of my requests I have to play keys.....

A link to your website would be nice.

• Members

I had a website but no longer do.....it never seemed to help and I do fine without it.....I only use my email and phone on my flyers & cards.....I take extra flyers when I book shows and then I don't have to go back until the show....I actually have more shows than I really want......

I bought Microsoft Front Page (if I remember right it was about $150.00) my ex has the box with the installation key so the disc is worthless.....that program makes websites...... but honestly, I never saw where it did me any good when I had a website ......people phoned me or emailed me.......(both were on my cards & flyers)......I had my website on my cards and flyers when I had it and no one ever seemed interested in it and we did a nice job on it with a lot of photos......they just used my email or my phone number.....

My wife wishes I was home more than I am.....they try to book me a lot more than I can accept.....people love the "piano bar" thing.....

I bought Video Download Capture and I can download videos from sites all over the place....pay for it once and use it forever....you have to contact them if you ever want to install it on a different computer....."1 computer only" but they said it's no problem to switch to a different computer.....I got in on a special with about 10 programs (it was one of the ten) for $50....I should try out some of the other ones.....they are all "1 computer" but if you want to switch computers, call them and they change the computer associated with your account....

Winamp does work really good with Pacemaker to slow down MP3's.....it stays in tune with your guitar.....here's the Pacemaker control panel:

pacemaker_main.png

I like to play with the radio......there's no second chances or playing things over and over......it's like playing live with a group only the list is totally unpredictable.... songs come on that you know (or maybe not depending on the station)......

Jazz radio is a nice change from rock sometimes....or blues......when I was a kid I always assumed playing blues was easy since the chord structure is often more basic but you have to be able to be sooooo expressive and you want your phrasing to be fresh and not sound the same......it's very challenging......

• Members

I use Audacity for the same thing. That and shifting older recordings up/down a few cents because they're sometimes all over the map tuning wise. Makes it so I can create a whole CD of stuff to play along with that doesn't require 3-4 guitars tuned just a little differently ;)

• Members

When I convert out of print cassettes to CD I run the cassette deck into my Sony CD recorder.....I make it as loud as possible without peaking out.....you can use re-writable "music" CDs and they can be re-used forever.....they need to be finalized when they finish recording......they end up being two tracks - one for each side.......I use the Switch converter and convert the two tracks to wave files on the computer and I use Nero 6 to split them by inserting track split points and I delete any blank space or noise from the beginning and end of each side.....

What's cool is if you use Nero to insert split points AND burn the CD, the split points are totally invisible (except on ultra-cheap CD players) even when songs flow together......I switch to Nero Express to burn and I check a box for no blank between tracks......it also makes the CD have CD text so enter song titles and the album title well....

The finished copy sounds BETTER than the original....it doesn't seem like it should be possible but the CD recorder grabs EVERYTHING.....they are very amazing sounding CDs when they are made this way....

When it finishes burning I use Nero to make a CD image of it.....it's like insurance where if anything ever happens to the finished CD, another copy can be made from the image file that is IDENTICAL....

I burn CD images to DVD and DVDs always seem to last forever with no issues....audio CDs last too but data CDs definitely go bad over time unless it's large data.....small data on CDs goes bad.....I've determined this to be a fact from experience.....audio CDs are huge files comparable in size to wave files....I have lost CD text off old audio CDs but the CDs play fine.....CD text is probably very small data....

Maybe data on data CDs will go bad even if there are large files too just because of all the small files that are going bad....I haven't determined this yet.....I have had many data CDs though that are totally unreadable now....

One thing that's interesting with using my Sony CD recorder is it doesn't erase songs when it erases them....maybe it's because I'm using re-writables but it always takes 9 seconds to erase any song whether it's 2 seconds long or over an hour long.....I think it just erases the beginning and end points of the song and it gets recorded over the next time you use the disc.....

I really like my Sony CD recorder and have had zero problems with it....it is a Sony RCD-W500C......it displays CD text, and it has a single disc drawer on the right that is the CD recorder and it has a 5 disc changer on the left that will play MP3's on CDs......they force you to use "music" CDs but I bought a box of TDK "Music" CD-RW's years ago and I just keep using them over and over and over.....

One thing about the CD recorder....don't let it record clear to the end of the disc....it kinda freaks the disc out and I had to use Nero on the computer and erase it when this happened....the disc worked fine afterwards but it seems like a fluke that it does that.....

It also has an optical digital input but whenever I use it the disc isn't loud enough....I master recordings I make on my Motif through the analog inputs on it and have no problems and it's as loud as you need it to be and is super quiet......with discs made using the optical inputs I've never been able to make them loud enough without adding clipping (distortion)....

• Members

I havent had much luck with cassettes that way. I use Audition for home recordings, or did until my computers input s screwed up. Its pretty sweet, you can mixdown with it, master, allows some 260+/- tracks, blah, blah, the list goes on of filters, compressors, etc. Save in virtually any format - wmp, CDA, mp3, wav, .......... But I'm not sure if I can slow music down with it like youre talking. I like the idea of the winamp and vst, or similar program

• Members

Pianoman, why so brief? I'm sure you could have a post where the word count rivals your "song list."

The temptation to "cool story, bro" this is strong, but just to be plain: most people relate their personal experiences to threads. I feel that you relate threads to you, ceaselessly and endlessly, and ... well, I'm not that interested in reading 20 minutes worth of the World According to Pianoman.

If you think you have something very interesting, a link to a two-minute something-or-other would be swell.

Otherwise, best of luck with your glorious pursuit of fakebook mastery.

• Members

I did that with vinyl records 40+ years ago, lower the speed to learn licks. I didn't know you could do that with software. I thought you had to buy one of those expensive multi-effect thingys that did that for you with recorded music.

This is good to know. But I also didn't bother reading your long posts, sorry.

• Members

So, Rock (The Spock) Pianoman, how much money do you spend on cocaine and meth per week? You're an unstoppable freight-train of words aren't you? :blah: :blah: :blah:

See post 13 - that's to the point...

... Naaa, you're alright. You seem enthusiastic - that's cool; but you need to edit yourself a bit... no, maybe a lot smiley-wink

• Members

I'm bouncing off the walls 24 / 7......I'm hyper beyond belief.....I've kinda learned to live with it....kinda.....hyper is the understatement of the year....I don't do drugs but I work about 18 hours a day....it uses up my energy....it makes me long winded and I apologize for that....it's not like I intend to be....I'm pretty screwed up......

I apologize for pissing everybody off but honestly I'm doing my best to keep my s__t together.....it's kinda been this way my whole life....

I'm not asking for anything from anyone.....I just wanted you to understand the train wreck that is my life......my wife is wonderful though.....I'm a very lucky man.....it's kinda hard for you to understand that things are moving 1000 mph here 24 / 7 but I've had to learn to live with it....

I actually get an enormous amount of stuff done so that's a plus....due to drug allergies I can't take any medicine to help me....I'm allergic to a lot of stuff.....

• Members

Name one thing I've ever asked for from anyone.....

I actually like people and if someone I meet does make some kind of mistake, who am I to say anything as many mistakes as I've made in my life.....

It's all casual to me.....live and let live....life is short.....

When I try to handle things as I should, people often seem to realize that I'm not the enemy and I'm not out to get them.....

Life is too short to not have a little patience with people....we could be around in 50 years or gone tomorrow....no one usually knows.....I think when we're gone from here, we're gone forever.....

• Members
Name one thing I've ever asked for from anyone.....

I actually like people and if someone I meet does make some kind of mistake, who am I to say anything as many mistakes as I've made in my life.....

It's all casual to me.....live and let live....life is short.....

When I try to handle things as I should, people often seem to realize that I'm not the enemy and I'm not out to get them.....

Life is too short to not have a little patience with people....we could be around in 50 years or gone tomorrow....no one usually knows.....I think when we're gone from here, we're gone forever.....

No website?

A link to your youtube channel would be nice.

Archived