NGD for me too

phaeton

• Members

Well, it was a couple of days ago actually. After doing some research (and having some help from folks here like billybilly) I determined that an LP Special is what I need in my life. I shopped around and saw a bunch, but when I saw this one in this finish I just had to have it. And I gotta say, it was a great choice.

The unfortunate part is that the guy I got it from didn't really pack it well. It was in a hard case, but the label was on the wrong side, so it shipped 1000 miles or so face down. This resulted in some finish cracks around the pickup switch and the side of the body opposite the knobs. It also popped the pickups (and their bushings) out of the body. This is a real bummer, but I don't see what good would come of making a federal case about it. I stuffed the pickups back in and am hoping for the best.

That said.. I freakin' love it. Turns out that the 60s-slim profile neck is the perfect geometry for my hand. He said it's got 10s on it but I don't believe him. It plays like buttah, sounds amazing and it is everything I ever wanted in a p90 guitar. I love everything about it- the neck, the pickguard, the pickups, the bridge, the finish, the slab body, the lack of gold and MoP that's on a lot of LPs.

This brings my guitar count to 12. While I was previously hesitant to sell others, suddenly I'm not. I'll wait till the honeymoon is over but I'd say I'm definitely ready to part with my Godin LG SP90.

What do you say, sirs?

53d67fc6389fb15214f20b55e94f9b63.thumb.jpg.b504dc3e3e5efc2fb545e6aef18624fd.jpg

• Members
I love raw-looking bodies like that. Is that a '15 model? I love that it has a bound neck ...

Nope, it's a 2010. I also love the bound neck, and how that's ALL that's been done. And yeah, when I saw this I had to have it. I love guitars that look as though they're made of wood.

• Members
The shpping inurance will probably send you a check if you get an estimate for a refinish and call and tell them you have a partial shipping claim but would like to keep it..HNDGD!

I looked into that, and

1) They (Fedex) would have had to see it come right out of the box. It had spent a day or two in a truck at -14F, and I wasn't about to open it up in a warm room (to avoid (ironically) finish checking). I brought it home and let it sit in the box for 12 hours, and then another 12 hours in the case. Probably overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

2) If they'd seen how it was packaged, I'm sure they'd deny the claim. It was basically a hardshell case in a singlewall box, with maybe 5 or 6 pages of newspaper wadded up around the sides. The box was smashed to hell and the case flopped around inside it. And of course, the guitar was face down the whole way.

I'm actually impressed that it's not more messed up than it was. IIRC once someone here said that refinishing a natural finish guitar takes top-level skill, and the difficulty nearly doubles with a set neck.

Archived