How Stairway to Heaven was written

• Members

Was it written on an elevator?......Or on a freight train to hell?

Some people argue that part of Stairway To Heaven was stolen from this song (this song did come out first)....listen for yourself.....(the Spirit song "Taurus" came out in 1968 vs. Stairway in 1971...Zeppelin didn't even release their first album until 1969, but had two albums that year:

Led Zeppelin is in my top 5 of my favorite groups, but I felt this needed mentioning....

I play that (and many others) on piano too, but my favorite on piano is The Rain Song.....it works well on

piano.....I layer orchestra type strings on the acoustic piano sound I use....

When I play Stairway To Heaven on piano, I use my Korg Karma synth to play electric guitar lead with my right hand while my left holds the rhythm on acoustic piano....that electric guitar sound does a good job at it, but that sound doesn't do a good job when I play electric guitar rhythm with it so I only use it for leads......at my solo shows the Korg Karma adds sooooo much and so many types of sounds.....it's my favorite right hand synth.....the Korg Karma has the same samples and sound set as the Korg Triton but it gives you the Karma technology instead of sampling and a touch screen....

Karma technology is pretty cool.....it does a million things.....all types of expression from it....there is no

way I could play my guitar and add keyboards and have it sound as good.....it is possible to play guitar with one hand, but as a whole, the end product wouldn't be as good as using that electric guitar sound when needed.....

I never use any other guitar sounds from any other synths.......they suck......this one is pretty good for a synth.....

For acoustic guitar, I have heard quite a few sounds that work in many synths, but the only reason I would ever play any guitar sound on keys is for my solo shows to add color as I don't have a guitarist available....

I can also record real guitar and play along, but people don't like that......they look at that as being more fake than me using a guitar sound in my synth.....I knew a keyboardist that played with backing tracks but in my experience, when I tried a little of that at shows, people hated it and looked at me like I was fake.....my shows are 100% live.....I don't even use drum tracks.....

I should try to sample my Les Paul and make a synth sound from it......I'd have to sample all the keys with different amounts of picking force for every note......it would be a big job to make it work well and sound natural but it would be cool when it was done.....the Yamaha Motifs I have do a spectacular job of sampling from any source.....I'm sure it would be a huge file when I was done......samples are wave files and they are huge.....

• Members

Led Zeppelin is just a little of what I do......I have my request list for my solo shows at over 7000 songs right now (everything from mellow to metal....on harder rock songs there are no keys....just guitar)....it does take a lot of coffee to keep them tight.....eventually it will be over 10,000 songs....

• Members

Rock... I am impressed with your knowledge of songs..... not.

And this lame attempt to highjack a thread to make you look like something special, doesn't work for me. Maybe others are more polite, or want to ignore you, and I respect that. Me however.... with 5 days with no cigs, .... you are striving for attention, and I apologize to the others for feeding into it, but you are coming across like a narcissistic idiot. This was a post from Rae about the work they went into the song, not your ego, or showing off your "vast" abilities. There, I said it for all.

• Members

Actually, when I'm not doing shows I'm a completely private person.....I have no "need" for anything.....the only reason I play shows is because I love music and it pays my bills, but certainly not for attention.....online or offline if I see something interesting I like to comment on it......and certainly not because I'm looking for some sort of approval from anyone......the people at my shows are the thing I like the least because most are drunken idiots but I smile and act like I'm very happy to see them all.....it's all part of it......

I have more real friends than I could ever ask for, and I love my wife....she is awesome and the best person I've ever met.....I'm happier than I've ever been with her and have zero regrets about anything in my life.......absolutely zero......

I love guitars and synths and I love music......

So whatever dude.....you have no idea who I am but you can keep telling everyone that you do......THAT is what's ridiculous.....you don't know me from Adam and you never will.....and I don't need to insult people or be a dick wen I comment on here......that tells people a lot more about the quality of the human at the other end of the wiring than anything someone can type......

• Members

I honestly don't care who you are, or who you hint to be. Really don't care. My point was that on something that Rae posted, you decided to go thru your vast abilities on the keys and guitars, in making music. Otherwise,. you seem like a decent enough human.

• Members

Sometimes I do share some of my music-related goals on here because I don't want to burn my wife or my friends out talking about music and gear all the time (my brother does that all the time).......this seems to be a better place to do it and I think a lot of people on here are the same way......they love to talk about music and gear and music-related goals too......

I make an effort to talk as little about music around my wife and friends as possible and instead I try to learn from them and focus on what they're into and talk about that.....it seems to be a good way to keep things running smooth in my life and I learn a hell of a lot from them.....

• Members
I honestly don't care who you are' date=' or who you hint to be. Really don't care. My point was that on something that Rae posted, you decided to go thru your vast abilities on the keys and guitars, in making music. Otherwise,. you seem like a decent enough human.[/quote']

Rock is a good guy. I've never heard him post bad things about people, and when he does post he brings up so good topics and makes decent contributions to this community. I recognize him immediately as being a player and not just a bag of wind just by the few conversations we've had. Guess it takes one to know one because there are things you cant fake, and having worked in the business is one of them.

I too heard the thing about Zep borrowing the song. There are dozens of bands who have done that throughout history. For some it may be a revelation but allot of the early rock bands played other peoples material. Zep did some other song on one of the early albums. Some song about a hangman/ (think it was Zep, may have been the stones) in any case, that was definitely an old folk song everyone from the Kingston Trio to PPM were playing back then. Zep just did a rock version of it and changed a bunch of the words. Anyone who was around back then knew what they had done, but since the original song was considered to be Anonymous, there are no legal issues, no royalties or any of that stuff/.

A lot of people were doing that. How bout this. Do you ever wonder why the song Blowing in the Wind by Bob Dylan was so different than any of the other songs he wrote? Its because he didn't write it. He bought the song and put his name on it. You can do that if you buy the song outright. My sister was in college back then and was into the whole theatre thing and knew the guy who wrote the song and sold it to Dylan.

Doesn't matter much. Bob eventually became a very prolific song writer in his own rights, and look how many people have used his songs.

The fact is back in the day, this kind of stuff was the way the business worked. If you sold the rights to a song, or someone stole it and copyrighted it before you did you were sh!t out of luck. Today you only have to record the song and its considered copyrighted. Sending a copy to the national archives is just legal protection "if" you can afford the lawyers to fight the case for 10 or 20 years which few people can afford. You have to remember the recording company would have to give up all their profit too and few are going to allow that to happen so most settle with pennies on the dollar if they can get that.

• Members

Thank you.....I love music and music trivia and gear and music-related goals.....I can vent on here.....I joke around a lot but I try not to do it at someone else's expense.....

WRGKMC is one of the most knowledgeable people on here and in his posts that I've read he's given such good ideas to approach problems with gear from different directions and he's shown much more effective ways of getting things done....

• Members
Rock... I am impressed with your knowledge of songs..... not.

And this lame attempt to highjack a thread to make you look like something special, doesn't work for me. Maybe others are more polite, or want to ignore you, and I respect that. Me however.... with 5 days with no cigs, .... you are striving for attention, and I apologize to the others for feeding into it, but you are coming across like a narcissistic idiot. This was a post from Rae about the work they went into the song, not your ego, or showing off your "vast" abilities. There, I said it for all.

Maybe you need to take a few deep breaths, because you are coming across as unnecessarily aggressive. Chew some gum or something; that's what I did when I stopped smoking 9 years ago after puffing for a quarter century. No need to take it out on others.

• Members
Led Zeppelin is just a little of what I do......I have my request list for my solo shows at over 7000 songs right now (everything from mellow to metal....on harder rock songs there are no keys....just guitar)....it does take a lot of coffee to keep them tight.....eventually it will be over 10' date='000 songs....[/quote']

Led Zeppelin is just a little of what I do......I have my request list for my solo shows at over 7000 songs right now (everything from mellow to metal....on harder rock songs there are no keys....just guitar)....it does take a lot of coffee to keep them tight.....eventually it will be over 10' date='000 songs....[/quote']

7000 songs, that's a bunch of WRGKMG

• Members

7000 songs, that's a bunch of WRGKMG

I suppose, technically, if you read music you can play anything.

But I agree billy,, 7000 ? We have another care in the community project on our hands. WrkEGO never said he had kids.

Archived