NGD

Floyd Rosenbomb

• Members

billybillys post on LP's got me to thinking.

Found a 2011 Gibson Studio Deluxe in Ice Tea finish and thought it was a fair price a $750 so I gave it a go.

Like all used guitars that I come across this one needed complete set up. Something you hear a lot when buying used gear is "this guitar was just set up by my luthier" ...which in the real world means "this guitars set up is a disaster."

Here is a guitar that is just said to have been set up buy a pro but the intonation was totally off. You can never emphasize enough what a night and day difference that makes for a guitars sound and most guitarists don't seem to know how do it properly.

That is a discussion for another thread. On with the pics,

10922775_10152661284245488_2315194453665267446_n.jpg?oh=c7af53d2ff4f2b1bfe887cb116e586c3&oe=5541C559&__gda__=1430283501_ae6409ef8ad4afef9a52f8e3690723bb

This was more or less the stock look. In the stock form these came with zebra bobbin tops. The first owner put chrome covers on it. Something you can't really see in the pics but that ended up bugging my eye is that chrome has a blueish cast to it. If you know color theory at all you know that blue and yellow clash/contrast. A better choice for this color guitar would have been nickel covers as they have a yellowish cast to them. At any rate I wanted to know what it looked like with the zebras so off went the chrome.

10906157_10152661285040488_2321159471428504224_n.jpg?oh=75b4975bcea57eebd3cffc64cc3ce398&oe=553D2D32&__gda__=1429525284_fca931bd44bbc254317c5d1937ea2445

The first owner gave me some extra plastic and knobs (black ones) so I tried those on and decided to ditch the poker chip.

I like it this way and will likely keep it in this look.

The Studio Deluxe '50s was Guitar Center special with '50s style neck. The construction uses traditional weight relieving vs cambering which I think is a good thing. Haven't weighed the guitar but I'll guess it at 9.5 lbs. Two piece mahogany body with two piece top. The neck is chunky but very comfortable.

Pickups are a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge and a 490r in the neck. Both have coil splitting. It was a job dialing in the bridge Burstbucker Pro. It really took a lot of work. For a couple of days it seemed certain that that pickup would go. Ended up with it really close to the strings, at an eighth of an inch gap on the treble side and a touch more on the bass side. The middle coil screws raised up to follow the neck radius, the two treble side screws just under flush with the bobbin tops. It's been a 180 degrees with that pickup and I'm actually finding it to be quite good.

A cool guitar that I'm grateful to have as part of my collection. So, thanks Billy for sharing your appreciation of the lp and to Knotty for pointing me to the studios.

• Moderators

Happy New Les Paul Day, and well done for sticking with the pickup adjustments.

As a note on setups, depending on yuor playing style and wheteher you want to noodle slick blues solos or bang out big rhythm chords, there is no really right setup, just the one that suits that particular player. I got a LP Junior DC a like y'day, the neck is flatter than a pancake and the action is so low you can't play it, but clearly someone took a lot of time to do that and if I wanted to play quick runs through a handbuilt amp in a studio it'd be awesome, but I don't so it isn't

• Members

I gave you the traditional NGD boobs Floyd but they got deleted. Probably because it showed nipples.

My apologies to all the 12 year olds on the internet who have never seen boobs.

I will find a more appropriate picture. Bambi maybe?

• Members
. . . The first owner put chrome covers on it. Something you can't really see in the pics but that ended up bugging my eye is that chrome has a blueish cast to it. If you know color theory at all you know that blue and yellow clash/contrast. A better choice for this color guitar would have been nickel covers as they have a yellowish cast to them. . . .

Okay, I'm at home now and I can see what you're talking about. The "problem" for me would be that the pickup covers don't match the bridge and tailpiece. I'm guessing those are nickel finished? Personally, I prefer covered humbuckers and I would've simply found different covers. But as long as you like the guitar that's what matters.

• Members
I gave you the traditional NGD boobs Floyd but they got deleted. Probably because it showed nipples.

They were nice and I appreciated them while they lasted.

They were most excellent boobs. Thanks

• Members

Okay, I'm at home now and I can see what you're talking about. The "problem" for me would be that the pickup covers don't match the bridge and tailpiece. I'm guessing those are nickel finished? Personally, I prefer covered humbuckers and I would've simply found different covers. But as long as you like the guitar that's what matters.

And covers are pretty easy add. Rumor has it that they can effect tone a little bit. I don't know. Chrome is said to be the biggest offender with gold coming in second place and nickel being the covers that effect tone the least (well, no cover would be the least).

These chrome ones were soldered on, but I've read that you can take a little hot wax and just quickly stick them on the bobbin tops and your good. I might end up getting some nickle ones as they do age in a cool way and they are only $9 a set on Ebay.

• Members

It's weird that, given the first thing any of us saw was a vagina.

Archived