Planned gear purchases for '15?

hellion_213

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My friends and family will have me committed to a psychiatric hospital if I buy any more guitars.....unless I sell a few. So, that's what I need to figure out. Which guitars do I get rid of so I can buy something new?

I would really like an SG.

I would also like one of these:

250-4811-553-2.JPG

or one of these

2013_gretsch_g5620t-cb_green_semi-hollow-body_electric_guitar_1060172-2.jpg

Never owned a Gretsch.

• Members

See the CraigsList thread (http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...8-clist-finder). A new guitar amp or possibly a reverb pedal to use with my bass amp. Like peskypesky, I'd dearly love to have an SG. A local pawn shop has a used Austin Les Paul and that's probably as close as I'm going to get if anything. Budget gear in any case so don't get excited.

• Members

I have a trade deal in the works - one of my Strats for my first Tele a CIJ 72 Deluxe style. Other than that, it's going to be mostly studio stuff - a new laptop, mic pres, and maybe a word clock. I'm making my studio modular and mobile, as I'm going to be doing some live band performance multitrack capture for a documentary style TV show. I also really need to sell some stuff and unclutter.

• Members
. I'm making my studio modular and mobile' date=' as I'm going to be doing some live band performance multitrack capture for a documentary style TV show. I also really need to sell some stuff and unclutter.[/quote']

Killer idea! A friend of mine looked into doing that, bought a kick ass camera and mics, etc, but hasn't actually done anything yet. Hope you get it up and running. Will the vids be avilable online? Or are you doing this for an actual TV Show, on cable/satellite?

• Members
None' date=' but it will happen.[/quote'] What he said, but is should be small stuff. Maybe a small mixer. A mic stand. Some V-picks... I had an opportunity to buy a guitar a few days ago (tele, don't have one) and was able to resist. I need to play more, worry about gear less.

• Members
Killer idea! A friend of mine looked into doing that' date=' bought a kick ass camera and mics, etc, but hasn't actually done anything yet. Hope you get it up and running. Will the vids be avilable online? Or are you doing this for an actual TV Show, on cable/satellite?[/quote'] Depends on how the deal goes down. Hopefully both, and maybe radio too. Ultimately though, we're shooting for regional TV distribution.

• Members

I am planning on getting rid of things, and thinning the herd. More than likely moving back to the west coast this year, and don't want to spend a few days just packing gear.

That being said however, if something cool pops up, and I have the cash, it's mine.

• Members
Depends on how the deal goes down. Hopefully both' date=' and maybe radio too. Ultimately though, we're shooting for regional TV distribution.[/quote']

Awesome man! Best of luck to you :thu:

Seems like most folks are not planning on adding a lot to the collection this year. I'd kind of like to pick up a good second for live playing, but who knows. I ran through a Mockinbird this past year, just couldn't get happy with it. Maybe an old Mantis or another Beast.

Penguin - good luck with the move, but isn't leaving the gear behind kind of like forgetting the kids :cop: just kidding man, moving sucks.

Papaschtraumpf - playing more inevevitably leads to GAS which in turn leads to a purchase.:idea: It's a vicious cycle.

• Members
I need an acoustic guitar' date=' maybe this Seagull Heart of Wild Cherry dreadnought: . . .[/quote']

Seagulls are nice guitars. One thing: Are you aware of the 1.8" nut width? Might be a bit much if you're used to an electric. In case you didn't know, Seagulls are made by Godin, which also makes Simon & Patrick acoustics. S&P's are similar but with a narrower 1.72" neck. They also make Norman acoustics. A friend has one and I like it a lot. Very thin neck if that matters. Yamahas get a lot of love over in Acoustic Guitars. So does the Guild GAD line.

• Members

I was looking at a Blackstar Fly3- until my other half bought me one for Christmas:staticphil: It's a fantastic-sounding and responsive little amp, and I will be micing it up in the near future. Other than that, I'll probably be changing strings and getting on with making music.

• Members

Well, I already popped the GAS cherry for 2015 the second day in with an LP Special. I also keep meaning to look at the quality/cost/value ratio of used drum machines. I had an Alesis HR-16 in the 90s but I don't know what's good now. Like Badpenguin though, this will be the year of letting stuff loose. I have more stuff than I need or want and I think it should all go on to someone who will use it.

Right now, on the chopping block:

2x Squier Affinity Strats

Oscar Schmidt OE-30 (335 copy)

Cheapy Fullerton bass I got for $50 from a tip off here on HC

Yamaha Eterna Acoustic

Godin LG SP90

Epiphone LP Jr

H&K Edition Blue 60 amplifier

Fender BXR bass amp (probably just pull speaker n parts and throw the rest in a dumpster)

Roland Cube 60 keyboard amp

Yamaha P95 Digital Piano

1956 Hammond M3 organ

I'm probably forgetting stuff.

I have humbuckers in the Squiers and I'll probably have to revert them to stock before anyone would be interested in them, if at all. I probably just need to find some promising kids to give them to or something.

Getting the LP meant that I wouldn't need the Godin or Epi anymore, but I jammed with the Godin last night and I think I should hang on to it anyways.

• Members
These threads can create GAS. Monitors would be cool. Congrats Uncle Bastard! Phaeton - pretty good list to unload. Unloading sucks' date=' I always hate selling stuff, part of it though I guess. What are you going to be asking for the strats? [/quote']

No kidding, this could create GAS.

I see Affinity Strats on my local CL from $80-$100 so I figure that's the going rate. GC quoted me "about $50 each in good condition", and while I'd take a hit on them it might be worth it just to unload them hassle-free. There is a handful of guys around here who I call "turd sharks". They're trying to play the eBay game of "buy a guitar, part it out for profit", but they're 1) doing it with cheap Squiers and not real Fenders and 2) doing int on CL, in a town of about 400K people. Not a great market. And then there's this guy who cracks me up: http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/4786056183.html

He started listing that guitar last spring for $250 and it's been slowly coming down.

I can't seem to find a FMV for the Oscar Schmidt. Those things are all over the map- from $150 to $400 on ebay. Last summer I put mine up on CL with its hardshell case for $200 and all I got was one guy who repeatedly emailed me asking if I'd take $50.

The rest of it... I dunno. There was a group of folks that were associated with all the local churches who were looking for Hammond organs to buy up. Turns out they would have gutted mine for parts (and the guy was a dick) so I told them to go pound salt.

• Members

Did you tell him the case was worth more than $50? That's crazy man. Might be interested in a strat. Not sure - my daughter wants me to teach her to play and is wanting an ESP, but I'm thinking Squier strat to start off, so if I can sway her, I'll hit you up.:thu:

• Members

I finished a job redoing two guitars for my buddy who plays in a local band this weekend. I was only going to charge him $100 for the materials, hardware and new pickups I installed. I did fret leveling on both and some finish work on the other, but nothing too difficult.

He gave me a $100 tip so between that and a gift card I have $250 to spend on something. I spent the day looking for something I could use music wise but couldn't find anything I really needed. I saw a bunch of great buys, but nothing that would make me want to blow the money on it. $250 doesn't buy anything really good and I have plenty of mediocre stuff around which I really don't need.

My gut instinct is to buy myself one really good 12" speaker and stick it in a portable cab I can use with one of my heads that can be easily transported, but even that isn't a must with all the cabs I already have. I do have my two vintage Altecs I'd like to get re-coned. I've had them since 1967 and blew them out accidentally when some output transistors in a Peavey went DC and sent 120 V AC through them. It really bummed me out when that happened because those were the best set of speakers I've owned.

I figured I could get them re-coned for about $100 each. I just have to contact my buddy and see if he can contact his buddy who does them. Its an investment because they are worth double that in working condition.

Archived