NGD - Gibson Les Paul Futura Pacific Blue Fade

Brewski

• Members

I just received my first Gibson Les Paul. the Futura Pacific Blue Fade.

I am a believer in seeing the wood grain (no solid painted guitars anymore for me) so the Red or Blue were the only choices for the Futura model.

Why - I have owned a number of Single Cut Korean models that are great guitars but Not a Gibson nor a claim to be one so wanted to know the feel of an American Made Gibson Les Paul to add to the collection. I was not going to get the boss (wife) to approve an LP Standard price and needed something that could be paid monthly. I am also not a fan of Humbuckers in the neck and enjoy the P-90 tone in the neck. Love the Humbucker in the bridge though.

I pulled it out of the box and it looks great! the AA top has great grain and this will sit nicely next to my PRS on the wall. However, the battery for the mini-ETune is dead and I am trying to charge it so I can play the damn thing and I am not a fan of the Greenish color of the mahogany back. Should have been a deeper Blue IMHO

Here are the pictures of my new Gibson Les Paul Futura Pacific Blue

IMG_7422.jpg

IMG_7421.jpg

IMG_7416.jpg

IMG_7419.jpg

IMG_7423.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7424.jpg

IMG_7426.jpg

• Members
Hey Brewski' date=' that's one gorgeous geetar - I actually love the two tone back and front and the wood grain finish. Really great to see you back around these parts again used to enjoy your posts. So how does the new addition compare to your PRS and to your Agiles?[/quote']

+1 to everything in this post. HNGD! :thu:

• Members

First off - thanks for the accolades for me and the guitar!!

So the ETune is broken up for repair but before it went tango uniform I got to play the guitar yesterday.

I decided it was time for a gibson but had to be a price point that was reasonable for the boss and a versatile guitar. the Gibson Les Paul Futura was the ticket - coil tapped and a P-90 in the neck and a 15DB to boot plus the ETune.

the Bridge pickup is bright and very articulate. Much more articulate than the Seymour Duncan I have in the Agiles and with a bit more bite than the PRS CU24. the coil tap sound really good with gain and clean so its a winner.

the neck P-90 sounds great and avoids the muddy tone of the Humbucker in the neck position that always made it useless. the coil tap works clean and gain as well. the guitar sounds good in mid position either tapped or not. plus the 15DB boost works in every position as well so you get 9 different tonal voicings!! Just very versatile.

the neck on this is better than the Agiles - wider and it fits me perfect. this is my new favorite neck. not as slick as my Agile PS-970 or my PRS CU24 but I have not added any fret conditioner yet.

I like the AA top and the flame edge versus a classic LP with plastic binding.

in all it's a pretty great guitar - minus the ETune thing. I do hope it works as the fact it has two button tuning changes is just cool!

• Members

Fit and finish analysis of the Gibson versus, well everything else i have. The finish on the Gibson Futura Pacific Blue Fade has a satin finish that is very thin. The pits in the mahogany can be felt through the body and the maple grain ( not the flame ) can be felt on the top. This is most likely the point of the guitar to save money on labor. The Agiles - from AL2000 on up is thick, smooth and has been flawless. The PRS and the Schecter as well as Squier and Fender's IMHO are more to my liking. In all i am not a fan of the thinness of the Gibson finish and will most likely refinish the guitar to bring out the flame look and bring the guitar closer what i like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry to hear it. Hope you get it fixed soon. Reminds me of back when I was younger. Dad had a philosophy of buying cars with as few options as possible because anything beyond a stick shift and no A/C or power anything was "just something else to break." We had a long succession of plain four door Chevys for that reason.

Archived