Slanted Humbuckers. Is this wise?

Chordite

• Members
Just saw this modified guitar on eBay. Trying to decide whether slanting the bridge humbucker SC strat style is a clever move or not?

Well, ever since the crazy old man pictured below crammed a Gibbo humbucker next to the vibrato unit in his modified red+white Strato geetar, and positioned that Gibbo humbucker at the same angle as the single coil pickup he removed, a lot of people have been doing the same thing with their bridge humbuckers ever since.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLWW1eFbxqRyJvLcJO_Tf3FRs0lyiF5D8D8gOqcUMahA-ex6Xf5Aevh-f-front-detail.jpg

• Members

It doesn't sound as good as having both sets of poles aligned. I had a botched build with a tilted bridge HB and it produced a dead high E string. I wound up switching to a Kramer dual rail Humbucker to correct the issue instead of fixing the route. What was done on that guitar is they used a regular Strat pick guard which already had a single hole and cut it to fit a HB on that same angle. They should have just bought another pick guard that had a bridge route.

• Members

I've heard people say that rail pickups sound harsh, but I think it depends on the pickup.....I think they are much better for giving even response, especially if bending moves the string from over the pole.....especially with weak pickups bending can give you quiet or "dead" spots....it also can be worse the farther the pickups are adjusted from the strings but I don't like to have my pickups too close to the strings.....they can sound bad too close but maybe they all don't sound bad too close on all guitars....when I was messing with mine on a guitar I have they did....you definitely don't want the string to touch them....that would probably sound like when you test them by touching them with a screwdriver.....

• Members

I think if your pickups are not weak, they should work fine....you probably have nice pickups in your Kramers.....if pickups are weak there can be problems....usually weak neck pickups are the worst problem as they are affected most by string bends (like if the string is being picked when it's between poles on weak pickups that also may be too far away from the strings if the guitar isn't set up right)....it's pretty obvious if there's a problem.....

Archived