What would you spend on a guitar?

billybilly

• Members

Hypothetically, if you had a reasonable income and a little extra money to spend on a nicer guitar, what would you spend? Is it worth spending 5K or could you get the same for 2K or even 1K?

Personally, I cap at about $1500, and that's for an acoustic (electric maybe $1200). I feel after $1500, the difference is minimal. For example, IMO, spending 5k on a guitar is throwing money in the trash.

What about you?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree.

There are two kinds of guitar players, those that hang the guitar on their wall to show it off and those that hang the guitar on their wall so they can easily grab it and play it. The latter type know that more than $2000 is nothing more than marketing hype and diminishing returns.

Also, I have a hard fast rule NEVER to buy a guitar model with someones name on it - Fender's Eric Clapton Model, Gibson's Billy Joe Armstrong Model and the such. The extra cash these companies are asking for these is just ridiculous.

• Members
I agree. There are two kinds of guitar players' date=' those that hang the guitar on their wall to show it off and those that hang the guitar on their wall so they can easily grab it and play it. The latter type know that more than $2000 is nothing more than marketing hype and diminishing returns. Also, I have a hard fast rule NEVER to buy a guitar model with someones name on it - Fender's Eric Clapton Model, Gibson's Billy Joe Armstrong Model and the such. The extra cash these companies are asking for these is just ridiculous.[/quote']Too binary. There aren't two types of guitar players. I play the crap out of my Anderson and gig with it. Turning complex situations intro "this or that" is pretty common though.

• Members

If money was no object the 2 guitars on my "wish" list would be a rick 12 string & a gretsch country gentleman (so I guess about 3K would be my max).

I couldn't see myself spending that kind of money for a strat/tele though. there seems to be a bunch of great guitars of that type in the sub 1K range...

• Members
Too binary. There aren't two types of guitar players. I play the crap out of my Anderson and gig with it. Turning complex situations intro "this or that" is pretty common though.

Of course there are other types, but most (90+ percent of guitar players) either buy guitars to collect them or buy them to play them. The other 10% give up and play Bass Guitar :music014:

• Members

It costs me somewhere around 4- 500 to build an acoustic, maybe 900 for an electric. That seems about right. I've also picked up a couple of nice older guitars that have appreciated more than my 401(k) and are a lot more fun to play.

And if you have guitars hanging on the wall you better have a significant investment in a room humidifier or you will be paying me or someone else to fix them

• Members

My mind is a bit blown on the matter as I recently picked up a used Warmoth partscaster and it's the best guitars I've ever owned. I payed $250 for it.

I really like used gear. Mostly because I like to set up guitars, but also because I know that most players don't know how to set up a guitar and then end up thinking that theirs is junk after a season or two. They'll sell them off at a loss just to get rid of the thing. I guess that is part of the fun for me, getting the most for my money.

Some of the older Ibanez made in Japan stuff represents a high water mark in electric guitar craftsmanship and design. These guitars from 1987-'91 (or so) can be had for $500-$1000 and I think they are some of the best guitars available.

So there is my boat, I'm a Warmoth Strat (compound 10 -16 radius with smaller stainless steel frets are a must) and a MIJ Ibanez guy. That puts me in at under a $1000

• Members
I'd be fine with a Squier Strat with 2 busted pickups' date=' but since I made the mistake of trying an Anderson...[/quote'] I'm in the same boat since I tried Vigier guitars. Trust me, you can get a lot more than what is the average gibon on fender. A Vigier is an instrument of incredible quality amd precision, and you'll have to pay over $2000 for that.

• Members
..... and a MIJ Ibanez guy. That puts me in at under a $1000

You might like this 2405 that was in for a setup. It looks like a basic Lester blinged out with a bunch of mother-of-toilet-seat, a mandolin headstock and a butt ugly pickguard. Some sort of weird bone plus metal nut and a big wide ToM that was adjusted completely wrong. Other than those things, a nice guitar...

IMG_2169_zpsc4665cd6.jpg

IMG_2168_zps6d51eff7.jpg

• Members

I will preface this by saying I never buy anything brand new that can be found in near perfect condition used. This applies to guitars, amps, cars, clothes, etc.

I have a handful of Affinity-grade partscasters that I put the most mileage on. Like Floyd Rosenbomb, I picked up most of the guitars and parts second hand and dirt cheap. I think $150 is the most I have in one of them, and the other two barely crack $100. They sound great and play great so this is a 'value' argument and for better or for worse, they've become my reference point whenever I pick up another Stratocaster. MIM strats are no better, and I really have to look hard to find a MIA Strat that would justify the price difference. Trust me, I dig the Strat platform and I really *want* to someday pick up a MIM or MIA Strat that is everything I love about Strats times 1000. Hasn't happened yet, so for now I can't really see paying much more than say, $250 for a Strat-type guitar. Especially one in a regular non-noiseless S/S/S configuration with nothing really special about it.

There are a LOT of used electrics in the $500 or down range that I would be extremely happy with. I've really liked the neck on just about every Schecter I've ever played, and I don't think a single one of those was over $750 new, so used I'd be tickled with a used one. I've played a lot of $400 Jacksons that I thought were great, and for my purposes you can't go wrong with an Ibanez RG, and you can find great examples of those all over the $300-$500 range. And then there's Godin. Whenever people talk about "what Gibson used to be" it kinda looks like what Godin is now. YMMV

Acoustic guitars are a little different though. There seems to be a definite dividing line around the $600 (new) mark. It seems as if there is a huge jump in quality and tone once you cross that line. I hear there is another one when you hit $1200-$1500 but I'll never spend that.

One of the other thing that dissuades me from higher-end guitars is that they get really 'showy' at that point. Gold plating, MOP inlays, multi-layered bindings, sparkly pickguards, etc. I'm really not a fan of that stuff and I wonder sometimes how much of a $1000 guitar is just brightwork. Some people love it, and that's great but I'd never look twice at a guitar like the Ibanez Freeman Keller posted. I really like plain, subtle looking guitars. There aren't a lot of higher end instruments that are fairly 'plain' looking (and also not just brootz-black everything). Some exist, but not a lot.

• Members

Acoustic guitars are a little different though. There seems to be a definite dividing line around the $600 (new) mark. It seems as if there is a huge jump in quality and tone once you cross that line. I hear there is another one when you hit $1200-$1500 but I'll never spend that.

The above statement is exactly what I've found in playing acoustics. Usually, $600 can get into a solid body and top, and it makes a difference.

My large bodied take on the Martin 15M (it's a 12 fret 15M), was bought like new condition for $800 with a case and it’s pretty nice, great for singing with and big fundamental tone. I would spend up to $1500 on a used one and will. Currently searching out a rosewood/spruce dread. I’ve liked the Larrivees I’ve been trying. Love the journey.

• Members

Just like when I buy a synthesizer, I plan on spending $3000 - $3500.....that's not out of line.....but naturally if I can something for less, that is good

Pro quality isn't cheap.....I have bought cheap guitars & synths as well, but for my main piece of gear, you spend more....it seems with guitars you don't have to spend near that much but nice synths are very expensive and I like top build quality.....not some plastic piece of crap for my top synth.....I just bought this which is a good example....top build quality and $3200....it's my best synth right now but it's still just a rompler, but it's the best rompler I've bought yet....in 1991 the top Yamaha synth was the SY77 for $3000......it can't even compare to the Yamaha Motif XF7 I bought for $3200....not even close and the SY77 only had 61 keys and the Motif XF7 has 76 keys....prices are still fair....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...%20XF7&index=2

If you buy a new Gibson Les Paul Custom, it'll cost more than that.....a new Gibson Les Paul Standard would be almost as good for a lot less.....

If I was going to buy a new Gibson Les Paul, without a doubt, it would be this one but I'd put locking Grovers on it for fast string changes:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

502.jpg

• Members

@RockPianoman, your signature is both profound and awesome. I love it. Thinking I might have to do something like that, too. Maybe I'll copy the latest 1600 page spending bill that congress just passed and make that my sig.

Keep up the awesomeness, Brother. V

You might like this 2405 that was in for a setup. It looks like a basic Lester blinged out with a bunch of mother-of-toilet-seat, a mandolin headstock and a butt ugly pickguard. Some sort of weird bone plus metal nut and a big wide ToM that was adjusted completely wrong. Other than those things, a nice guitar...

IMG_2169_zpsc4665cd6.jpg

IMG_2168_zps6d51eff7.jpg

Yes, the headstock and pickguard are pretty awful, other then that though.

• Members

I'm in the same boat since I tried Vigier guitars. Trust me' date=' you can get a lot more than what is the average gibon on fender. A Vigier is an instrument of incredible quality amd precision, and you'll have to pay over $2000 for that.[/quote']Totally agree. Vigier are in the elite class. Not necessary, but it pisses me off when people suggest a $200 partscaster is "just as good". No, it's good enough and that's OK.

Archived