J Robbins

esphil

• Members

Any one here fans of his? I literally just discovered him and his stuff a few months ago. This popular bands were Jawbox and Burning Airlines, they were from the 90s. Since discovering Burning Airlines I listen to the stuff almost daily now, hes such a badass guitarist. Its a shame they split up. Apparently they were on tour around 9/11 and places stopped booking them because of the name of the band. Highly recommend you guys checking them out if you haven't heard them. Check out the song A Lexicon, Carnival, Pacific 231. A newer band of his is called Office of Future Plans too which has good stuff.

• Members

I was friendly with a guy who drummed for Jawbox for a while; the 90's were full of fantastic guitar bands that many folks never investigated. Amphetamine Reptile had a ton of loud, nasty, interesting noisemakers. And if you like quieter, I could list you a few indie-ish guys who really worked miracles in terms of creating odd moods with just a little gear and a six string:

Roy Montgomery

Loren Mazzacane Connors (sp?)

Alistair Galbraith

Alan Licht (Run On!)

The totality of brutal sound that was Bailter Space circa "People In Projects"

... and I'm always a sucker for the first Mercury Rev album, before they became a totally different (although just as beautiful) animal.

If you are look for more "tuneful but abrasive" bands, have you heard the Wrens?

Archived