Do you ever wear ear plugs?

phaeton

• Members

No. I've never been in a playing situation where I needed them. As a member of the audience I've wished for earplugs a few times but that's another discussion. I did make my ears ring recently at home alone trying to see how loud my amp would get but that's it.

• Members

Anytime I'm around live or just loud music. Hearos blue currently or anything that provides 32+ db attenuation. It can make things sound bass heavy but by the same token I can be in the same room as DJ subs. Speech isn't a problem either. The foam filters the din and normal speech becomes audible and coherent. Not when I practice though. I like hearing as much of the actual mix as possible and I've learned to reel in the pounding . Win , win.

• Members

Whenever I'm gigging I wear earplugs, and I gig for a living.

When playing louder I use passive Westone or Etymotic plugs with custom ear molds

When playing under 95dba I use active Etymotic MusicPro earplugs with the long eartips.

If I think the volume is going to be loud anywhere else, I bring them, and I have an old set of passives in the car at all times.

I'm protecting my most important musical instrument, my ears.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Bought a set of hearos a few years back when I was jamming with a very aggressive drummer on a regular basis. Play with another guy now that shows a little restraint and haven't popped em in since. Hearing's probably not the best (I'm getting a little long in the tooth) but I don't have tinnitus, at least that I know of and hope to keep it that way.

• Members

Always at practice because drummer is loud-ish in a tight space. Standing right next to cymbals.

When I go see other bands almost always. Almost everyone plays too loud or the soundman is deaf.

usually when I play- depending on aforementioned factors.

It also helps me sing...even with a good PA, but especially with a sketchy one- you get that head voice that helps stay in tune. No...I am not a natural or trained pro singer. :)

• Members

If it is louder then a TV then it is hurting your ears. Hearing damage is cumulative, so little bits here and little bits there all add up. Your lawn mower for example.

My ears always ring from years spent playing and recording in too loud of a situation. Now I always have to wear ear plugs, even at a movie, or my ears will scream bloody murder at me for a few months. Tinnitus is not good you don't want it. Wear plugs.

These are pretty good for musicians -18db,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...RQP7SN44JCRWR6

I just use the -30 db ones at lowes.

• Members

I wish to God that I had been wearing ear plugs about 12 years ago when I went to a concert by a Pink Floyd tribute band. Back then, ear plugs were not in people's awareness like they are now. The concert was really loud. I left with my ears ringing and its never stopped since that night. I suffered permanent hearing damage from that exposure and the Tinnitus has gotten worse over time.

Its a nightmare, especially since I work in the music industry. Its really affected what I can and can't do as far as listening to music, going to concerts, playing guitar, etc. - not to mention the annoying high pitched sound in my ears 24 hours a day, 7 days a a week, which never stops. As I found out, hearing can be permanently damaged very quickly, and there is no cure. I can't recommend highly enough protecting your hearing while you can!

• Members
I've worn them when watching TV with my Dad, otherwise, no.

Ha! My dad is the same way.

I have and almost always worn earplugs when in loud situations. People have made fun of me, but I notice that some of my old bandmates from yore are hard of hearing these days. I too have found that wearing them actually improves the sound quality of really loud stuff. Even though it's a little muddy sounding, the alternative is "SHSHHHSHSHHSHSHSHSHHSHSHSHH"

Of course, the one time I forgot them was the time I needed them the most- A friend and I saw a Metallica cover band (called Battery) at a pretty small bar near Chicago. Both guitarists had not one, but TWO Marshall stacks each and they were just ungodly loud. I really wish I would have thought to stuff my ears with paper towels, or simply leave. My ears hurt and rang for two days after that, and I can tell that I've lost some top end to my hearing :-/

• Members

Earplugs and filters have been around and readily available for more than the past 12 years. ignorance of their existence has been around even longer.

I always wear filters. Have been wearing 'something' for years. Even as a sound guy, I'd mix the soundcheck and pop the earplugs in and get used to how that sounds so I could do the show with plugs in (unless i need to 'catch' something or do some critical listening).

The filters I use are Planet waves Piccata, they don't kill the high frequencies as much as foam plugs, and the attenuation is not 29dB, but my ears don't ring after playing or mixing a show.

For gigs I went to IEM's (even for crappy low-paying bar gigs) and could not recommend anything more. great way to hear what you need and not blow your brains out!

I had my ears checked earlier this year and the audiologist said my hearing was 'GREAT!!' - He actually asked me if I was 'cheating' some way because for a guy who does music and sound and is 37 years old, he didn't think my hearing would be as good as it is. I still have really fine hearing. Because I wasn't afraid to be the guy wearing earplugs. Bright orange foam shooters plugs if that is the only thing around. and when I go shooting, I do foam plugs and big ol' cans. I should try the cans for a gig some time... that would be different (not headphones, just shooters protective cans)

• Members

Unlike the Hearos the Westone and Etymotic plugs have an almost flat attenuation curve, so they don't make everything sound muddy - it's just like turning the volume down.

If you sing or play a wind instrument, getting them custom molded by an audiologist will keep the internal voice from drowning out the reduced volume in your ears.

You can get a cheap sound level meter at Radio Shack, and if you want your ears to be safe measure the volume levels so you know what size ear plugs you need. 85db, slow response, "A" weighted is what you want to shoot for, so if the sound measures 100dba, 15db filters will put you in the safe zone.

You only get one set of inner ears for your life, and when the hearing is gone, it's not coming back.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
Unlike the Hearos the Westone and Etymotic plugs have an almost flat attenuation curve, so they don't make everything sound muddy - it's just like turning the volume down...

Thank you, sir. I have made a note about this, because I have never particularly cared for Hearos.

Archived