All the one-hit-wonder topics...

phaeton

• Members

I mean the ones where someone with one post to their name starts a thread of "I have X guitar, does anyone know anything about it?" or "should I start on electric or acoustic?".

They're not spam, there's nothing being sold and no links to click. What do you suppose the point is? Drumming up traffic/conversation? Maybe they are legitimate newbs but I think they're kinda suspicious. I just don't know what this is up to.

• Members

Yeah. Most recently there was Ashley1! who was a bassist but didn't know whether electric and acoustic guitars are tuned the same. Started three or more threads and almost never came back to any of them. Granted, our praise band's bassist can't play guitar but I think he's probably an exception. I'm not sure what to think but I agree it's odd.

• Members

I figure it's one of two things. HC starting dummy accounts to drum up some sort of life on this site, or spammers trying to build up a legitimate account before they start spamming/scamming/phishing. I'd lean towards HC dummy accounts, since they speak somewhat intelligently regarding the subjects. Even if it's cut and paste from a script or something.

• Members

The HC Admins have consistently denied that they're creating one-off accounts. I don't think the way to garnering more posts is to create "one-hit-wonder" topics, but rather attempt to gain interest from past members again. No, it's not the members' responsibility to do that. As far as I can tell, the regular posters around here are content with each other.

Archived