Need advice on Les Paul...

Saig55

• Members

Just got back into playing after a layoff. Always played acoustic but looking for a nice but inexpensive electric. My friend works at a pawn shop and they have two Epiphone Les Pauls. The first is a 2009 Standard, and is in good shape and they want $165. The second is a 2008 Studio, I think ivory with gold hardware. They want $175. I've look online for the studio but can't find one like this. That's why I'm not sure of the color. The price seems right for either. Your thoughts...

• Members

Most definitely it comes down to comfort and playability. They both are equal in this regard. I actually thought the Studio version may have been something different since I couldn't find that particular color combination. Thanks for the input. I spoke to my friend yesterday and he is willing to let me have the Standard for $150. Sounds too good to pass up.

• Members

Can't really go wrong at that price, better snap it up quick at this time of year. Epis seem to me to be fantastic workhorse guitars - very solidly built. This way you see how serious you really want to get at an affordable price. Seems odd to me that they want more for the studio than the Standard though.

• Members

I'm not too familiar with each of those models but I believe the Standard has a bound fretboard (and the Special is not bound?). If the frets are badly worn be aware that refretting a bound board is very difficult and can be expensive to do correctly (I repair guitars and more or less refuse to do it). I'm also always suspicious of pawn shop guitars - in most cases you won't find the great deals that you did in the past (they have very accurate ways to price their merchandise). With all that in mind, I would say buy the one that appeals to you and budget enough money to have it properly setup by someone who knows what they are doing.

• Members

Track down an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro FX......it has a Floyd Rose.....I have one and once the strings are done stretching, it never goes out of tune no matter what I do on the whammy.....it's very similar to an Epiphone Les Paul Standard but it also has push / pull pots which gives you single coils.....it has Grover tuners but with the locking nut you tune from the bridge anyway....mine is the same as the one in the photo....the one at this link is a different color.....I really enjoy the Floyd Rose and miss it on my other Les Pauls.....

By the way, I never liked Les Pauls with 3 humbuckers......the middle humbucker is right where I pick and I always hit it with my pick....

I changed the 4 knobs to speed knobs.....I like those better than top hats with the coil taps....they're the same color and they look good....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPIPHONE-LES...item462f172f0f

epi_lpstdpt_fx_db_1.jpg

Speed knob:

Speed-knob-gold2.jpg

These are the top hats that were stock on it:

1380224804338-P-23071.jpg

I think I'm going to put locking Grovers on mine to speed up changing strings. Make sure to always keep an allen wrench with you that fits the locking nut and extra strings so you can change strings if you break one:

502.jpg

• Members

The Floyd Rose makes a big difference....I can set up guitars myself, but because of the Floyd Rose

I had mine professionally set up.....make sure what gauge strings you want permanently before you get it set up....I use .009's on mine....it would need to be set up again if you change string gauges.....

I'm glad you found one new......I really like mine

Check out how good it stays in tune:

• Members

I've played some of the cheaper Epiphone Les Pauls.....I didn't like them....some are totally flat and thin like a Gibson Melody Maker

One other thing to take into consideration....the pickups on the one you're getting sound great.....you won't need to change them.....

Look at how expensive the alternative is:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

That's a better price than I got.....I got mine a 2 or 3 years ago and paid $550

Archived