Anybody ever own a Washburn WI66V?

billybilly

• Members

My buddy wants to learn guitar, so I sent him some links with some good introductory options. He loved the one in the local rag, a Washburn WI66V. He works out of town and really wanted me to go check it out for him. I did, it was nice, really nice. I called him and he stated to go ahead and purchase it. It was $250 and he makes $4000/week so it's no skin off his back. The problem is, I think I want to keep it, lol. I'm not over the top over the quilt but he loves it.

It's very resonant and easy to play, keeps in tune and sustains well (I decked the trem, it was terrible).

fetch?id=31343361

• Members

Yeah I've always liked the looks of those Idols but never owned one. I've had a few Washburns though and they were all very serviceable guitars. Funny how I unloaded all the US ones but kept the MIK P290. Very well made guitar including some nice resonant mahogany that gives it some really nice tone. In some ways I preferred it to a very fancy Custom Shop P4 I used to own.

• Members

I like washburns - had 3 so far and still have 2, though both are Japanese.

I tried the W16X series when they first hit these shores. Nice to play, though with a skinny neck & lightish body they weren't as Les Paul-like as I wanted at the time. The ones I tried all had Duncan PUs in, which sucked tone wise for me, and some had iffy wiring too. Quite liked the VCC, though it's not to everyone's taste I know.

Vintage trems can add a touch of reverb that makes the guitar sound a little more sparkly and sustaining, and that might be what's going on here. Looks like a nice guitar - I'd be pleased to own it.

• Members

Japanese Washburns hey, didn't know that. This one has poor wiring and average pickups and the VCC system, which I like as well. If my buddy does''t end up playing it/learning, I'll buy it back from him, change pickups and wiring but it still sounds decent stock.

I can tell its fundamental tone is very good, can feel it vibrate throughout the body and neck when played and sounds good unplugged.

It's got a flat U shaped neck which measures .83 to .91 which is skinny for me but average really.

• Members
I'm just curious what line of work he's in where he makes $4K/week.

lol, it's a lot of money isn't' it? Believe it or not, he's an iron worker who unusually works in the oil fields of northern Alberta, Canada.

Over the holidays, he'll make almost 7k/week but remember, he has 1/3 of the year off and gets taxed very heavily.

• Members

Mine was made around 2003, actually has a nitro finish, which the US plant never did and just rings like a bell. I have a Washburn bass (bantam series also MIK) and an MIK Carlos Robelli 335, all about the same vintage and all pro level instruments. I assume they were all built in the Samick factory.

Archived