What do you consider a "practice" guitar?

phaeton

• Members

The other guitarist in the band mentioned earlier today that he doesn't intend to use the Squier Affinity (sparkle red, S/S/S) which I gave him, because it's "just a practice guitar" and it's just not good enough and won't get loud enough to play live. He says "maybe I'll use it for slide at small shows" or that "maybe it's good enough to put heavy strings on to build up finger strength" or "something to practice scales on without wearing out the frets on a nicer guitar" but I'm just convinced that he doesn't know how to play. Even without pickup swaps, I feel that this guitar is fine for small gigs and sparkly enough to impress the wimmenz. I'm used to thinking of a 'practice' guitar like a First Act or Sam's Club Starcaster, or maybe even the old Teisco with 3 strings on it you found at a yard sale when you were 12, but at the other end I know there are guys who 'practice' with chromed out hot rod guitars, with dual-overhead humbuckers, double-wishbone whammy bars, lake pipes, hi-lift tuners, straight axles, high compression truss rods and cadmium-oxide dipped strings.

• Members

Maybe one of those fold-up travel guitars. Back in my youth when I was touring I would do all my practice before the gig on a heavily strung 3/4 body acoustic. When I played the gig my electric played effortlessly after playing the acoustic.

Other than that I find the best way for me to practice is with an electric unplugged. It'll pretty much show you everything you need to fix.

• Members
you got some nice toys!

Thank you. The black Deuce is not mine - it belongs to a friend but both it and the old 'bro are 1932 so they seemed to go together

I'm a motor head as well as a guitar nut. These are mine and I believe in taking them all out to play.

'75 BMW and a couple of old Martins

IMG_0185.jpg

'63 Morgan and a couple of my home builds

IMG_0171.jpg

and the noise makers

Sportybro-1.jpg

• Members

I don't own any "practice" guitars. I don't practice on something I wouldn't use on stage. I want to feel familiar with what I play when gigging.

I suspect your friend is just being nice to you and doesn't want to tell you the guitar is not gig-worthy - wrong sound/feel/action/tone. I wouldn't take it too hard - he's being professional by insisting on using a better guitar to gig.

• Members

The other guitarist in the band mentioned earlier today that he doesn't intend to use the Squier Affinity (sparkle red, S/S/S) which I gave him, because it's "just a practice guitar" and it's just not good enough and won't get loud enough to play live........

The other guitar player is an idiot. "won't get loud enough...."????? Maybe he should be the practice guitar player, not good enough, or smart enough to use on a real gig.

If the intonation is in, and the action set up so it doesn't buzz, who the hell is going to notice it's just a Squire?

My practice guitar, is the one closest to my hand. There are times I want to practice on a hollowbody, or a tele, so I grab one.

• Members

No such thing.

Well except maybe one of those sawed off travel things with a headphone jack.

But even then you could gig with it if you had to.

If its playable its playable in any situation.

If its a POS its a POS. Not worthy for practice or a gig.

Evidently you thought it was decent enough.

Hes just hung up on the " Squier Affinity" logo.

Take it back and enjoy it yourself and let him buy his own guitar.

• Members

Thanks, guys, you made my day. This thread is hilarious. FWIW, my "practice guitar" is a Jay Turser POS acoustic that I picked up used last year. I was going to fix it up and give it to a kid for Christmas but it turned out to be so crappy I kept it. The intonation is 'way off, the action is about 1/4", the bridge is lifting, and the neck heel is coming away from the body. It's the guitar that stays on the couch and I pick it up and strum it when I feel like it. I wouldn't gig with it unless my life depended on it.

• Members

Its interesting to me that many musicians won't use their "good" guitar for a gig because they are afraid of damaging it - they save it for recording and maybe playing around the house. Unless its a priceless vintage Gibson or something, take it out and play with it for cripes sake.

But I also think there is a very big difference between a player/practice guitar and a beater/beach guitar. I have one that goes with me on climbing and ski trips, I'm not afraid of leaving it in a hot or cold car and while I don't like to see any guitar get damaged it wouldn't bother me that much if it did. However it is still carefully set up and it really does sound pretty good

• Members

I should mention that I started this as a parody thread. We still do those here, right? Meanwhile, there are some good responses anyways, towards my fictitious 'friend'.

Its interesting to me that many musicians won't use their "good" guitar for a gig because they are afraid of damaging it - they save it for recording and maybe playing around the house.

I know a very talented and very down to earth lady that plays a 1952 Gibson Goldtop out whenever she can. She gets constant offers to sell, and constant chides about playing such a 'priceless' guitar out, but she'll never sell it and it's the guitar she plays out because it is the guitar she loves. Haters be damned.

That hot '32 Ford yearns to be driven. That Dobro deserves to be played. This is why these things are made and I don't at all believe in things living behind glass in pristine condition. To live is to do, and all inanimate objects are tools to that end.

• Members

If he doesn't want to play it, ask for it back and give to someone who will appreciate, not denigrate, that guitar.

I sometimes feel sorry for those guitars stuck in a glass case because they are 'too good/valuable to be played". In my opinion, every guitar is a beach guitar (that's where I play every day). I paid for them, I take care of them, I bought them to play....and when I'm dead and gone.... someone else's problem.

• Members

on the other, how much practice is involved?

if you play/practice 8 to 10 hours a day 365 days a year, it means a lot of play and sweat and moisture and and and...

i could see the need for a "practice" guitar here, so my number one does not get that beat up...

on the other hand i like beat up guitars, real bet up not relic'ed ones, so my argument again would be void :)

• Members

I practice on my Jay Turser POS because if I can play on it with its high action, etc., I can play even better on a decent guitar. I don't shy away from playing barre chords on it and I'd like to think it improves my ability to play them on my regular guitar.

Archived