Did you start playing guitar to impress girls?

groovezilla

• Members

I'm too ugly.

Actually, I started because I wanted to play music and be in a band. I don't bring it up to girls unless they ask what instrument I play. It doesn't hurt, but since I'm not playing three chords on an acoustic or standard rock fare, it doesn't always help. It's difficult enough to find a girl who would sit through my music anyway.

• Members
On a some level everything a man does is to impress a woman, unless he is gay, then it's to impress other men.

Big trucks, protein shakes, hair jell, car rims, shinny guitars, loud amps, it's all about "Hey, look at me!" We are slaves to biology, like it or not.

Amen Brother!

• Members

I started performing live by the age of 9. Girls weren't much of a factor at that age, its was the fun of playing I loved. Its a good thing too because you really need a better reason for playing if you want to survive. The rest is just well deserved reward. I would have never worked that hard just to get a girlfriend.

• Members

All kidding aside, I saw The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show and I distinctly remember all the girls screaming in the audience and immediately thinking I want to be able to do that! It wasn't their music as much as it was the reaction to their music.

So of course, initially I did it for the girls just like every other musician I grew up with. That was why we put bands together, that's why we did gigs. For the money? What money? But then you get more appreciation for your instrument, more chops, recognition, better gigs and then your love for music turns into something entirely different.

• Members
All kidding aside' date=' I saw The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show and I distinctly remember all the girls screaming in the audience and immediately thinking I want to be able to do that! [/quote']

I'm sure you could have if you'd tried. You just have to take a deep breath and then let it out with all your might.

Oh, you didn't mean that eh? Sorry.

On a more serious note, I seem to remember thinking more along the lines of "playing guitar is cool" than "playing guitar will get me girls". Actually I think it's a bit of a myth that girls are impressed by guitars. Cars or motorbikes maybe, a little but not guitars. Of course it was never a problem for me as I had to beat them away with a stick anyway, but that's what I hear was the case for ordinary folk :)

• Members

I'm sure you could have if you'd tried. You just have to take a deep breath and then let it out with all your might.

Oh, you didn't mean that eh? Sorry.

On a more serious note, I seem to remember thinking more along the lines of "playing guitar is cool" than "playing guitar will get me girls". Actually I think it's a bit of a myth that girls are impressed by guitars. Cars or motorbikes maybe, a little but not guitars. Of course it was never a problem for me as I had to beat them away with a stick anyway, but that's what I hear was the case for ordinary folk :)

While it's true that not all girls/women are impressed by the guitar, there are plenty that are, enough to make it worth your while. Same can be said for Corvettes or big pickup trucks, not all women are impressed by those but enough are that there will always be a market.

Archived