Making it so your strap doesn't ever accidentally drop your guitar......

RockPianoman

• Members

I use these Gibson Strap buttons:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...tons&Go=Search

I get nylon washers from Ace Hardware so they don't jingle that have the right sized hole to fit over the small part of the strap button but not the large part, and then put the guitar strap on and then put the felt washer back on and tighten the screw back in.....once you put the screw back in, other than having the screw rip out, it's impossible for your strap to ever come off (you put the strap over your head to put the guitar on)......I set up all my guitars this way.....if there are any sharp edges on the nylon washers, file them down before putting them on....

If the screws don't seem to fit tightly enough. use a SLIGHTLY larger gauge screw that is the same length.....I wouldn't use a longer screw unless you use a drill bit smaller than the screw to drill a lead hole that is deep enough (it probably wouldn't split your guitar, but I'd be really pissed off if it did).....

I replaced my screws with stainless steel screws so they will never rust....the buttons won't ever rust.....

• Members
Fender makes little rubber washers that work just like the Grolsch washers. Nice elegant solution.

Yeah, I just got a few and they work well. I've got the Schaller locks that came with some of my Fender axes, and while they work well they're kind of inconvenient. I also have some of the Dunlop Lok-Strap thingies, and while they're more secure than the Fender washers, they're a lot bulkier.

• Members

I used to use a large metal washer on the end of the strap button that was just large enough where your strap could barely fit through. It usually required a longer screw since the original screw is recessed. I used that method for years and never had an issue and I could still get the strap off if needed

• Members

I mostly use Dunlop Straplocks, along with a few Schaller strap lock setups -- such as what my Rickenbacker 4003 bass came with from the factory. In both cases, I dedicate straps to those respective locking systems.

The one thing that a lot of people don't do with strap locking systems is CHECK THE LOCKING MECHANISMS on a regular basis to see if they aren't coming loose, collecting dirt or grime in the critical locking parts, or have worn parts. This seems to be more of a problem with the Schaller locks, especially with that nut on the strap getting loose.

PS: That Grolsch rubber washer trick has been around since the 1970s. :cool3:

• Members

I've been woodshedding this for for a LONG time - I've used clanky lock systems (yes I've had them fail), beer washers, galvanized washers, fishing swivel clips rotating plastic junk. I've done a LOT of experimenting. Short of a big eye hook and a swivel, bigger screws with suction cups, or finishing washers, plastic backpack clips, seat belts, or whatever else that that looks plain stupid.

Look for my experiments in this thread: http://www.agileguitarforum.com/threads/tvvoodoos-insanitarium-slight-return.255/page-39

The result of a lot of brain-thinking...

fetch?id=31341458

fetch?id=31341459

I'm going to make these available to others in the new year. 3/4" across. Two colours so far. No ramp built in to help your strap slide off.

Looks good on any solidbody, keeps your strap close to your guitar, seem nicely secure so far on the five solidbody guitars I am running them on. These pins easily accommodate the off-the-shelf straps I have here, and my own handmade straps too.

Simple solution. Bigger pin. 50% bigger than those tiny space capsules.

Really, those straps under $10 are made to fail. I've had two bust on me.That's what sent me on a journey to build a better strap. Once I made a decent strap, the next weakest link in the chain was the button/screw, or a set of strap locks which failed me. Ok maybe the buttons are ok, but, who hasn't had a strap slip off one? I argue the tiny buttons and even more puny screws guitar manus put them in on a stock guitar are also built to fail. They really don't mind if you need to buy a new guitar.

Especially when you got somethign softer like basswood. For crying out loud. Stick a #8 in there, at least an inch deep. My pin sets come with real screws (only available to certain people right now).

• Members
I've been woodshedding this for for a LONG time - I've used clanky lock systems (yes I've had them fail), beer washers, galvanized washers, fishing swivel clips rotating plastic junk. I've done a LOT of experimenting. Short of a big eye hook and a swivel, bigger screws with suction cups, or finishing washers, plastic backpack clips, seat belts, or whatever else that that looks plain stupid.

Look for my experiments in this thread: http://www.agileguitarforum.com/threads/tvvoodoos-insanitarium-slight-return.255/page-39

The result of a lot of brain-thinking...

fetch?id=31341458

fetch?id=31341459

I'm going to make these available to others in the new year. 3/4" across. Two colours so far. No ramp built in to help your strap slide off.

Looks good on any solidbody, keeps your strap close to your guitar, seem nicely secure so far on the five solidbody guitars I am running them on. These pins easily accommodate the off-the-shelf straps I have here, and my own handmade straps too.

Simple solution. Bigger pin. 50% bigger than those tiny space capsules.

Really, those straps under $10 are made to fail. I've had two bust on me.That's what sent me on a journey to build a better strap. Once I made a decent strap, the next weakest link in the chain was the button/screw, or a set of strap locks which failed me. Ok maybe the buttons are ok, but, who hasn't had a strap slip off one? I argue the tiny buttons and even more puny screws guitar manus put them in on a stock guitar are also built to fail. They really don't mind if you need to buy a new guitar.

Especially when you got somethign softer like basswood. For crying out loud. Stick a #8 in there, at least an inch deep. My pin sets come with real screws (only available to certain people right now).

It took you a LONG time to come up with a bigger screw and washer?

Archived