Acoustic or electric guitar?

Ashley1!

• Members

Well im thinking about learning how to play a guitar and would like to know which is easier to learn. I would also like to know the difference like do they both have the same notes or chords or is the finger placement difference. another question is do you need an amp or anything extra to play the electric.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's generally considered good to start off on acoustic, not least because if you get to grips with the thing, when you transfer to electric it will seem wonderful compared with the hard work required for acoustic. But acoustic really IS a good place to start because there's no amp, effects, volume issues etc involved - just you and a hollow box with strings. It lets you concentrate on becoming musical, rather than relying on the electronics to sound good. Once you can play then consider stepping up to electric - if you still want to.

• Members
It's generally considered good to start off on acoustic' date=' not least because if you get to grips with the thing, when you transfer to electric it will seem wonderful compared with the hard work required for acoustic. But acoustic really IS a good place to start because there's no amp, effects, volume issues etc involved - just you and a hollow box with strings. It lets you concentrate on becoming musical, rather than relying on the electronics to sound good. Once you can play then consider stepping up to electric - if you still want to.[/quote']

Good advice. Learn how to get a good tone on an acoustic before going to a more sensitive electric,, plus it's much simpler as was already stated. Choose an acoustic that has a good action,the strings not too high off the frets. Many people get discouraged trying to learn on a bad guitar. If possible have someone with playing experience help you choose a guitar

• Members
Well im thinking about learning how to play a guitar and would like to know which is easier to learn. I would also like to know the difference like do they both have the same notes or chords or is the finger placement difference. another question is do you need an amp or anything extra to play the electric.

An electric is physically easier to manipulate, but music associated with electric guitar playing is sometimes harder than music played on an acoustic. The finger placement is pretty much the same. Whether an guitar is electric or acoustic doesn't determine note position--the way you tune your guitar will determine which fret has which note. You will need an amplifier with speakers (what is known as a combo amplifier) and a cable to connect the guitar to the amplifier if you want an electric. I recommend getting something modest like a Peavey Vypr or Line 6 Spider which are quite good for a beginner, and upgrade later on. A good beginner electric guitar would be something like an Epiphone SG, Gibson SG Junior, or something modest from the PRS SE line, such as a PRS SE Mark Tremonti. Schecter also has good value mid to low end guitars.

It's generally considered good to start off on acoustic' date=' not least because if you get to grips with the thing, when you transfer to electric it will seem wonderful compared with the hard work required for acoustic. But acoustic really IS a good place to start because there's no amp, effects, volume issues etc involved - just you and a hollow box with strings. It lets you concentrate on becoming musical, rather than relying on the electronics to sound good. Once you can play then consider stepping up to electric - if you still want to.[/quote']

This is one of the least intelligent posts I've come across in a while. Maybe if we had everyone join Formula 1 we'd have fewer car accidents. There's no need to learn how to play an acoustic guitar if you're never gonna play one, even if you think it makes switching to an electric easier (in fact, playing a guitar with distortion will teach you to clean up your playing quite fast).

Furthermore, one of the best ways to get a beginner motivated and keep them motivated is to have them play songs they like, which may or may not originally be played electrically

How are amplifiers, and effects--which are completely unessential, and are built in most beginner amps--an issue?

Volume? Not everyone wants cranked JCMs in their bedrooms.

• Members

I agree with the people who have suggested starting with an acoustic for several reasons. First, as you ask in you posting, an electric needs an amplifier to work correctly. This adds cost to initial purchase and means you are constrained to practicing where you have your amp. Acoustics and electrics are basically played the same - the fretboards are the same so the notes and chords are too. There are subtle difference in technique - I'll get reamed for saying this but I think acoustics are much more versatile (you can strum them, pick out individual notes or play complex combinations of rhythm and melody).

Acoustics are "harder" to play in that the tension in their strings his higher which requires more effort and strength to fret and pick them. As you build strength and callouses it will become easier - trust me we all fought our guitars at first. There are some things that can be done to make an acoustic as easy to play as possible - "setting up" a guitar is adjusting it to play its best and you can use lighter gauge strings to lessen the tension.

The thing that electrics have going for them is volume - that why they are used by rock and roll and metal and other performing groups. If you really feel you need volume there are acoustic guitars with built in pickup systems that allow them to be amplified - I'd recommend against it at first (its possible to add later).

If you decide that an acoustic is what you want, there is an Acoustic subforum to Harmony Central - I'd recommend dropping over there for help selecting a guitar. I also highly recommend getting either an instructor or a friend who plays the same genre of music that you aspire to to help you pick out your guitar.

I think you are better off starting with an acoustic. Learn your basic chords and the major and minor scales and then see if you still like it.

A used Yamaha FG-150 would be a great place to start.

I'm going to recommend NOT buying a used guitar and particularly not an old Yamaha (I happen to own an FG-150 and its a great guitar but.....). Used guitars frequently have problems and unless you or someone you know can evaluate them they are almost always harder to play than a correctly set up new guitar. It didn't used to be this way but there are some remarkably good guitars in the $5 - 600 price range, if you buy from a good store they should do the setup for you as part of the purchase.

I've been playing guitar for almost 50 years (and building and repairing them for about ten) and I've only added an electric to my collection about two years ago. I still play an acoustic 90 percent of the time. Get a decent one, get some good instruction, learn the basics and add the electric later.

And, by the way, welcome to Harmony Central

• Members

Do you know anybody with experience to help you choose a guitar. There is a fair bit to consider.

I'm for acoustic as well, any of the 700 series Yamaha are great bang for buck. $200-$300 brand new, no brainer. Solid tops, you' ll find out later but they are way better than laminated.

• Members

i would also recommend to start with acoustic, because i think there are more easier things to play which can sound good and keep you motivated. take your favorite pop song learn the chords, strum there you go...

i know a lot of people starting with electric, played the smoke on the water riff and the opening of enter sandman for couple weeks and then stopped frustrated, cause there was nothing else easy fun to play, which was not too complicated for them, and learning chords and strumming them on an electric not always sounds nice :)

anyhow, what ever you chose, it should make fun, you will get blisters and if you do not practice you will not learn to play, no matter how nice your guitar and/or your amp might be :)

• Members

Bear in mind I'm primarily an acoustic guy but I recommend acoustic as well. Among other things, you can take an acoustic camping, to the beach, to a party, etc., and you just have one thing to drag along. Electrics do have lighter (thinner) strings and are "easier" to play in that regard but the finger placement, etc. is the same. I'm with Freeman Keller in stressing the importance of a "setup" but I disagree regarding buying a used guitar. If you take a knowledgeable friend along to help with the buying decision, a lightly used guitar (vs. an old, beat up guitar) can be a great bargain. If you don't know anyone, there's probably someone over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum who lives near you. If you're in the St. Louis area, send me a PM.

• Members

What's going on here? On the acoustic page you said you want to buy a Taylor 110ce and wanted to know if an electric guitar amp will work.

Now you're saying that you don't even know how to play yet.

• Members

What's going on here? On the acoustic page you said you want to buy a Taylor 110ce and wanted to know if an electric guitar amp will work.

Now you're saying that you don't even know how to play yet.

Notice that Ashley hasn't returned to that discussion after he/she got a lot of good advice....

• Members

Here's what Ashley1! posted over in Acoustic Guitars:

I wanna buy a taylor 110ce acoustic electric amp and i was wondering do u have to buy an acoustic amp or can it work on an electric guitar amp cause i have a peavey amp that works with an epiphone les paul.

And here's what Ashley1! posted over in the Bass Forum:

I'm a bassist in a fairly new band and I'm looking for that bass with just the right amount of growl, but mostly a lot of bottom end. I have a Fender P-Bass and I'll be getting a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass very soon, but I was wondering if there was a better choice for the future?

Thank You

Frankly, I'm not sure what to think.

• Members
You should mention the type of music you listen to and what you are interested in playing. If you were into death metal, you would be better off starting with an electric. If you want to be a folk singer-songwriter, you are better off starting with an acoustic. What do the artists or bands you like mostly play? What songs would you like to learn how to play? Etc. etc.

• Members

Even so.....

I have to disagree with all you saying acoustic first........

Start with the one you WANT to start with. If acoustic music is your thing and you LOVE the sounds of acoustic guitars in the music you listen to then start with acoustic. If you like electric guitar music then start with electric.

When I was younger all I wanted to play was electric guitar. I followed the stupid tradition of "start out on an acoustic" and it was a complete waste of my time because it didn't give me the sounds I wanted to hear so I quickly lost motivation. I should have just gotten what I REALLY wanted right from the get go.

Not to mention why would anyone suggest starting out on something that is MORE difficult to play? That's just ridiculous logic. 'but it builds finger strength'....yeah.......while killing motivation. The first time you surf you don't get a 5'6 short board. The first time you try to hit a baseball you don't go to the 90mph pitching machine. You don't try to learn a video game by starting on the highest level. Starting with a guitar that is EASIER to fret is just common sense.

Besides.....everything you want to play on an acoustic can be played on electric.....but the reverse does not hold true.

• Members
... Not to mention why would anyone suggest starting out on something that is MORE difficult to play?

I take your point re not being able to get the sounds you're interested in from an acoustic - if acoustic music isn't your bag - and I also strongly believe you should start out with an instrument that's as easy to play as possible.

However there is a danger if you get an electric and a bunch of effects that you can fool yourself that you can play when you really can't. I should know; I managed to get away with having almost no skills at all in my first band. (As long as you call it avant-garde, experimental rock/jazz fusion you can fool quite a lot of the people quite a lot of the time).

• Members

However there is a danger if you get an electric and a bunch of effects that you can fool yourself that you can play when you really can't. I should know; I managed to get away with having almost no skills at all in my first band. (As long as you call it avant-garde, experimental rock/jazz fusion you can fool quite a lot of the people quite a lot of the time).

I think you just nailed about half of the people here

• Members

I WAS going to say, that I am going to buck the trend, and say start with an electric, if that's what you want to play. I started with an acoustic, and hated it, until I picked up a electric. Different feel, different tensions on the fretting hand, and different techniques.

BUT since you seem to playing with board, and the people here who are actually wanting to help you, I say screw the guitar, and learn drums.

Let the hate mail commence.....

• Members
I WAS going to say, that I am going to buck the trend, and say start with an electric, if that's what you want to play. I started with an acoustic, and hated it, until I picked up a electric. . . .

. . . Let the hate mail commence.....

I was thinking that you should learn on a real guitar before you go off playing an electric. If you can play an acoustic, an electric will seem easy. Now let the hate mail begin. :D

Archived