Recommend me a strat

chimi

• Members

Lately i have been on a HUGE strat kick. The thing that set it off is getting what i thought at the time was an american standard strat (which turned out to be a squier parts guitar). The deal left a sour taste in my mouth so i got rid of the guitar. I did LOVE the neck and the sound of the guitar. Actually that was my first strat, however everytime i have played a Fender or Squier i have loved the feel of the neck.

Most MIM fenders i have played i have not been able to put down. Now i am a hard rock guy, so i would love something that either has stacked humbuckers or at least one humbucker. I've been keeping my eye out on ebay and craigslist for MIM fenders as well as Yamaha Pacificas. I've also had a G&L Rampage in the past, and while i liked the quality the neck was a bit too thin for me.

I am intrigued by the Fender Lonestar

I'd like to keep it around $350 used if possible. If anyone has any other options i should look at please let me know.

P.S.- i do have my Godin LG Signature in the Classifieds section that i would be happy to trade for a nice strat.

• Members

I agree with ido, an American deluxe is a wonderful $700 guitar that Fender charges $1600 for. I happen to love Rondomusic.com, they have a one piece ash body, with a one piece maple neck one that goes for the 150 mark when on sale. How can you go wrong with that?

• Members

Here's both of my strats. They are both MIM. Both started life stock. They're great guitars and I love the way they play and sound. The black one I picked up off CL for $100. The white one I purchased new back in 2005 for $350.

Blackout Strat - Replaced tremolo, nut, jackplate, pickguard, pickups(Alnico), pickguard screws

White Gold Strat - Replaced tuners, string tree, tremolo, jackplate, strap holders, screws and neckplate(gold), bridge pickup (SD Hotrails)

fetch?id=31333174&type=fullfetch?id=31333173&type=full

• Members

I agree with the above. Find a nice used Mexican strat. Put in some pickups you like and have a setup done. I've know a bunch of guys that have sold their USA's and gone to Mexican models. With a good setup and a pickup change the mexican strats are every bit as good as the US ones for much less money. Hell, I've got a close friend that bought a Squier, put some lace pickups in it, changed the pots, did a setup on it, and it plays and sounds just as good as his custom shop strat.

• Members

Yo!

Regardless of whichever or whatever Strat you get your hands on, assuming the neck isn't a disaster, you need to find out who the best guitar repair guy in your area is and pay him to re-fret/neck plane/... whatever the guitar to make it something you would never think of getting rid of.

I had my 95 strat neck worked on in Cleveland by a guy named Jon Hill. He is a guitar luthier and builds custom guitars...

There is a guy named "Butch Armstrong" that I know that is just a bad ass player. He had Jon build him a Les Paul looking guitar and Butch let me check it out...

You would not even believe how low the action was... It had no buzz and had about 1/16" between the frets and the strings at the 12th fret!

In other words, if you like the radius of a Strat, get one and have somebody that knows what they are doing to dial the neck in.

You are looking for the lowest distance between the strings and the 12th fret without (or with minimal buzz) no matter what fret you hold down.

Then get yourself an old Mesa Boogie Mark III amp so you don't waste any time or money fookin with anything else, and focus on your strong points and your sound... NOT in that order!

• Members

For $350, I'd look for a used or discounted Standard Strat - straight up. BUT, I'd only buy one I could play first. MIMs (Standards) can be really great guitars, but they're variable. For that matter, so are USA Strats. Ten years ago I'd have said you'd have an equal chance of getting a lemon or a gem whether you went MIM or USA, but that's changed. The USA Strat build consistency has gotten to the point where it does have an edge - albeit a slight one - over the MIMs (note that I said "build consistency", not overall quality: the USA models have better components).

For the record, I've been playing for 40 years and have owned roughly 50 Strats ( and probably at least 30 Teles), including USA, MIJ, and MIM.

If you can find a good used Standard in your price range, you'll have an excellent instrument that you can easily upgrade as far as pup's, tuners, etc.

BTW, my current favorite Strats are my Callaham S (not a Fender, so technically not a Strat, but rather a boutique clone), Eric Johnson signature Strat (one of the first made), and a recent Squier Classic Vibe Strat (the Classic Vibe instruments are pretty amazing regardless of the price, but the more so considering how inexpensive they are).

Good luck with your search.

• Members

Just for the hell of it I looked at your profile and it say Jersey, but not what part. So I figured I'd take a look on craigslist.

If I was looking for a Strat for $400 or under here are some I'd definitely look at.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/4777276895.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/4787583028.html

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/4765303318.html

And go on to Ebay, in musical instruments search "made in mexico fender" a bunch come up for some nice prices.

• Members

Crownman, thanks for looking out for me! I'm actually in Central (ish) jersey. Though i did take a trip to philly last week to buy a guitar... I saw the first strat but i'm very picky about the looks. I want something interesting (i've really been digging the billy corgan black strat lately). In fact my best way forward may be to just get a MIM strat and billy corgan it.

That being said that blue one looks awesome. I may drop the seller a line.

I agree with everyone on here with regards to just getting a MIM. I'm a bedroom player so i don't see the need for something super high end (unless i get a steal) and the MIM strats i've played all seem to have very good quality.

What does everyone here think of the higher end yamaha pacificas? The resale value seems bad, but that may be a plus for me.

• Members
Here's both of my strats. They are both MIM. Both started life stock. They're great guitars and I love the way they play and sound. The black one I picked up off CL for $100. The white one I purchased new back in 2005 for $350.

Blackout Strat - Replaced tremolo, nut, jackplate, pickguard, pickups(Alnico), pickguard screws

White Gold Strat - Replaced tuners, string tree, tremolo, jackplate, strap holders, screws and neckplate(gold), bridge pickup (SD Hotrails)

fetch?id=31333174&type=fullfetch?id=31333173&type=full

Wow, i'll give you $150 for the black one :)

• Members

The only strat I can recommend out there in that price range is a used MIA fender strat or a used Warmoth. I just personally don't like the MIM specs. For me that is about pickups, the tremelo, and most importantly for me, string spacing.

There are great deals out there used, you have to be patient and a bit lucky.

Even more then that I recommend getting the strat you actually want regardless of price. Just get the thing and enjoy it for the rest of your life. When I was younger I bought so many guitars that were the more affordable version of what I really wanted. All of those guitars have been sold and I'm sure the money I lost on them over the years would have bought two of the more expensive guitars I wanted at the time.

• Members

If you run across any used Yamaha Pacifica 112M (M=maple fingerboard) for $150 ~ $200, those are killers for the money. Unfortunately, Yamaha dropped the M version of the PAC112 about 10 years ago, but there were plenty made and they do pop up every once in a while.

Otherwise, if you are looking only for new, the Squier Deluxe is the best Strat that Squier makes outside of a couple of Classic Vibe models.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/searc...r+deluxe+strat

Archived