Better pickups for my Mexican Strat

RockPianoman

• Members

I imagine this will get tons of opinions......what I'm looking for are pickups that let it sound like a real Strat, but are super quiet.....especially at some venues, neon and bad wiring create huge noise problems......it has the same 3 single coils and the 5 position selector switch that came stock right now.....they sound great but I want to get rid of all the noise issues.....

I've considered Fender Lace but even those come in different types and I've heard that alnico pickups are better......I have my Les Paul for those sounds and I want it to keep the authentic Strat sound.....

For a separate Strat I have I want to put 3 mini humbuckers on it and I want to get as close as possible to the Les Paul sound.....would I be better off to get a pre-loaded pickguard with 2 full sized humbuckers instead? I know it will never sound "exactly" like a Les Paul as they are built so differently and they use different woods and the sheer weight of the real Les Paul, but I want to get as close as possible.......

Is the string spacing on Les Paul humbuckers close enough that it will work good on a Strat?

Also, are rail pickups a better choice for more even sound? (especially with string bending).....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Loaded-Strat-Pickguard-Guitar-Scratch-Plate-With-HH-Humbucker-Pot-Switch-/360867887504?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item540566f990

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=loaded+strat+pickguard&_sop=15

• Members

The best strat pickups I have ever used are Fralin Vintage Hots. You want authentic strat tones? You won't get it in noiseless although Kinmans are close, the Woodstock version is nice.

You want your strat to sound like a Les Paul? Use two humbuckers with low end presence and subdued highs. It would help if your body and neck was made out of mahogany.

• Members

I play an AM DLX that has Noiseless 3's - totally silent. They have their own sound which doesn't appeal to everybody but they are quiet.

Me too! I'm still learning to work with the sound, but they definitely sound noiseless. Depending on the day I love them or hate them.

• Members
The best strat pickups I have ever used are Fralin Vintage Hots. You want authentic strat tones? You won't get it in noiseless although Kinmans are close' date=' the Woodstock version is nice. You want your strat to sound like a Les Paul? Use two humbuckers with low end presence and subdued highs. It would help if your body and neck was made out of mahogany.[/quote']We'll have to disagree on the Kinmans. I think they are the real deal. I agree about the Fralins - never used one that wasn't great.

• Members

I've been researching everything that's been suggested and some others have suggested......to me, the Fender Laces sound sterile.....I think the Fralin Vintage Hots sound great, the ISP Decimator sounds awesome but I think that any noise I can eliminate before the ISP Decimator will allow it to have less noise reduction set, and the Kinman noiseless pickups seem great too.....I'll keep listening and comparing as more suggestions come and I appreciate everyone's help.....I'm also impressed with Seymour Duncan pickups (any opinions on these?) and I was curious about Dimarzio pickups as well....

My main effects unit is a Line 6 Floor Pod Plus but I still want my tone to be right when it first arrives there and I can modify it from there.....

• Members

I have a a Decimator II, and IMHO it's not what you're looking for. I'm mostly a Fender guy, and only use the Decimator when playing one of my guitars with really hot pup's (EVH in particular) through a high-gain amp; the idea is to eliminate transient noise, not regular 60-cycle hum.

• Members

My Mexican Strat is a really nice one.....I've played many American Strats and I like mine just as much so I don't mind spending some money on it, besides, once the money is spent it doesn't matter as long as I'm sure what will work best for me first and buy that.......that's the research I'm doing now.........I'm also going to listen to a zillion demos on Seymour Duncan's website.....I was really impressed with the Fralins though.....Fender makes noiseless singles coils too which I'll check out (not the Lace Sensors....I didn't like those very much)......I'm also going to completely paint the inside cavity and back of the pickguard with shielding paint......

• Moderators
The best strat pickups I have ever used are Fralin Vintage Hots. You want authentic strat tones? You won't get it in noiseless although Kinmans are close, the Woodstock version is nice.

You want your strat to sound like a Les Paul? Use two humbuckers with low end presence and subdued highs. It would help if your body and neck was made out of mahogany.

What he said

• Members

Or 3 of these and kill 2 birds with one guitar. Humbuckers, dead quiet. They make practically any tone depending on effects and amp. I have these in a Tele(L48TL & L45S) and its the most versatile guitar I've ever owned. They are sterile only if your guitar is sterile, because they reproduce exactly what you put thru them. Again, awesome build quality at a great price @ $46 each.

http://www.wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html

fetch?id=31338049

• Members

I added this and would like you guy's opinion (I'm taking everything into consideration, and i would really like to have a guitar that is capable of whatever I need....I use a Line 6 Floor Pod Plus as my main effects right now):

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/31339314-what-s-your-opinion-of-these-strat-pickup-upgrades-for-humbucker-type-tone

Archived