What percentage of your annual income would you spend on an axe?

billybilly

• Members

I'm not interested in how much money you make, I'm interested in how much of your income you would spend on an axe. I was inspired by the "cheap gear" thread as it's relative to your income.

Example, if you make $50,000 and would spend $500 is 1%, spending $1500 is 3% and so on.

Personally, I would spend a little over 1%, say 1.3% precisely. What about you? I'm hoping for some big percentages from the gear freaks. :D

• Members

No matter how much you make. If you can save up the money, get what you want.

I know one guy that makes a qtr mil a year and he's never spent more than $1000 for a guitar. He finds a guitar for cheap and then strips it and makes it into what he wants.

I have a friend that was only making about 15k a year but saved, scrimped, and saved every penny he could. It took him 2 years to save the cash but he was finally able to spend the 5k to have a custom shop guitar built.

It's all about what you want and what you're willing to sacrifice to get it. Putting a % limit on it just doesn't feel right to me.

Myself personally, I'm kinda frugal. I had about $1300 to spend on a guitar, found one that I wanted for $1100. But I still traded in a guitar along with some of the cash because I just couldn't get myself to dole out more than 1k in cash.

• Members

Usually, it's WAY, WAY less than 1%. Last couple of guitars I bought were around .2%. There are so many great guitars being made these days and being sold for peanuts....

I have toyed with the idea of buying something "really nice" for up to 1.7%, but then I pick up one of my inexpensive guitars and come to my senses. Gear forums have a way of warping my thinking towards "I need another guitar!" and "I need an expensive guitar!".

• Members

I know one guy that makes a qtr mil a year and he's never spent more than $1000 for a guitar. He finds a guitar for cheap and then strips it and makes it into what he wants.

I have a friend that was only making about 15k a year but saved, scrimped, and saved every penny he could. It took him 2 years to save the cash but he was finally able to spend the 5k to have a custom shop guitar built.

It's pretty clear which of your friends has any finanicial sense.

• Members

about 10% of my annual yearly income, in the last 20 years, has been used to obtain "gear". I don't smoke cigs, or drink to excess, so whatever I may have done with those "vices", I put the $ towards my "gas vice"...lol dig it. At the end of it all, I have a few instruments to f u c k with, instead of a pot full of ashes and p i s s ...dig it.

• Members
about 10% of my annual yearly income' date=' in the last 20 years, has been used to obtain "gear". I don't smoke cigs, or drink to excess, so whatever I may have done with those "vices", I put the $ towards my "gas vice"...lol dig it. At the end of it all, I have a few instruments to f u c k with, instead of a pot full of ashes and p i s s ...dig it.[/quote']

You never did say what percentage of your yearly income you would spend on a single guitar...

• Members
Usually, it's WAY, WAY less than 1%. Last couple of guitars I bought were around .2%. There are so many great guitars being made these days and being sold for peanuts....

I have toyed with the idea of buying something "really nice" for up to 1.7%, but then I pick up one of my inexpensive guitars and come to my senses. Gear forums have a way of warping my thinking towards "I need another guitar!" and "I need an expensive guitar!".

So very true. As a primarily Strat player myself, I know how many great budgets there are available - course in my case they get modded to death. After mods, I put my MIM Fender Squier Series neck and neck with my 89 American Standard (it's a good one). As I've said before, if my hands were smaller, I'd have a contemporary Squier in the collection (Classic Vibe probably).

Personally, I've never spent more than 1% if by personal income it includes spouse's income as well. Recently I've spent considerably less on individual guitars. As far as skimping and going for the budget copies from a tone and playability perspective, I've found the Les Paul budget types available to be lacking, whereas I've found the semi-hollow and "Fender" copies to be generally more faithful to the original.

Archived