When you get a super great deal...

Floyd Rosenbomb

• Members

on craigslist it makes one think that perhaps the guitar is stolen.

I picked up up a guitar last week. It was listed as one thing, the seller really didn't realize what he had, said he got it in trade.

It had been sitting up on CL for almost a month. I doubt a thief would have the nerve to post gear that he personally stole on Cl, so I doubt this guy thought it was stolen (really nice guy, too). And maybe it wasn't, but when you get a custom guitar that would have cost someone at least $900 to make, and see that whoever put it together knew a lot, and that it's selling for just over $200 you have to think someone is missing their baby.

I've been looking for stolen notices in my area but that seems like a needle in a haystack.

Who knows. All I know is that I have an amazing new to me guitar and that I was just looking for something cheep that I could mod out a little and what I got was something that is totally tricked out already with high end pickups, components, and mods. This guitar is as close to perfect as any of my other guitars, all I had to do was set it up and fix a wiring problem. It had a full on rookie set up in place.

Not sure what to do, really.

I'm going to enjoy it, if I find the owner I will for sure get it back to him.

I guess for now it's HNGD*

I'm not going to post a pic of it just yet.

Your thoughts?

• Members

"Custom" things generally sell for less than they are worth.

Same goes for modded guitars. Even if the mods make a guitar "better", it's worth less than stock and probably less that the sum of the components' prices. It being on the site for a month at a low price just reenforces that point. No interest even if it is a great guitar, without a strong brand and model number behind it, it's hard to attract many serious buyers.

• Members
"Custom" things generally sell for less than they are worth.

Same goes for modded guitars. Even if the mods make a guitar "better", it's worth less than stock and probably less that the sum of the components' prices. It being on the site for a month at a low price just reenforces that point. No interest even if it is a great guitar, without a strong brand and model number behind it, it's hard to attract many serious buyers.

I agree

• Members

When I search CL I look for deals, but stay away from the ones that are too good. Yeah, I know, its a tricky line to not cross. You have to feel the seller out too. A guy that doesn't know anything about guitars selling a signature model Gibson = red flag. There's counterfeits, scams, thefts, etc - lots of potential bad but plenty of honest people just buying and selling stuff too. If an ad has been up for a week, item likely not stolen. If there's no pics or the pics lack any detail and the write up is very vague = red flag. If the email coorespondence is questionable - red flag. That said I bought an amazing set of custom bass cabs off CL once. They sat there for about a month with the guy lowering the price each week. Once I saw them in person I knew how much $$$ must have gone in to them. Got them for a song. In the end you just try not to get burned. Deal as safely as possible, get phone number or even home addy of person you are buying from, and cross your fingers.

• Members

You do have to do your homework. I've had great luck with craigslist, just over the last few years i've gotten the following:

Ovation GP (Josh Homme guitar, not a copy) for $700

ESP George Lynch Kamikazee- $350

Ernie Ball Luke- $400

and just the other day Godin LG Signature for $250

With that being said i did get burned on an 'american' fender strat that turned out to be a parts Squier. Also right now it is a buyer's market. I've never seen so many guitars going for way below value in the last few years.

Archived