Interesting for Peavey fans ...

Surrealistic

• Members

http://northamptonbands.com/2014/11/peavey-electronics-announce-massive-sale-excess-stock/

Have you guys seen this?

Not sure what's going on at Peavey but it sounds like there might be some bargains to be had.

On offer is an extensive range of ex display, B grade and returned stock by Peavey, Trace Elliot and Budda, Including electric, bass and acoustic guitars, drum kits, combo amps and speaker cabinets, amp heads, PA enclosures and mixers, pedals, spares, flight cases, accessories and much more.

• Members
Hum' date=' Could this be more of that sucking sound that occurs when companies move their operations over seas or are their sales down forcing them to close some operations?[/quote']

Yeah I wondered about the reasons for closing this down. As it's a distribution centre I can't see how it could make sense to move it overseas. Seems more like it might be a downsizing of Peavey operations in the UK.

• Members

Most companies don't have large distribution centers any more. They use what's called "Just in time" pipeline restock levels. They keep a running subtotal of what's being sold and predict what's needed for restock based on those numbers. Its like Buffered memory in a computer. If you have a quick processor there's less need to put that data in temp storage.

When you have dealers restock levels linked up to the manufacturer, the manufacturer has a much better idea of what needs to be shipped from their factories straight to the dealers. Instead of dumping all that stock in a distribution center (often times winding up becoming obsolete when over ordered) it goes straight to a dealer and if the market drops off, they slow the product down at the assembly line.

• Members

There's two things with Peavey, firstly I don't think their UK market share was all that large and secondly, although they make fine guitars (I own one) the name remains primarily associated with amps.

My intuition is that they would have been better off launching the guitars under a new brand name back in the 80's. It was "take 2 " like seeing a Marshall guitar or Orange drums.

• Members
There's two things with Peavey, firstly I don't think their UK market share was all that large and secondly, although they make fine guitars (I own one) the name remains primarily associated with amps.

My intuition is that they would have been better off launching the guitars under a new brand name back in the 80's. It was "take 2 " like seeing a Marshall guitar or Orange drums.

That's what turned me off on their guitars before I played a few. I had allot of experience on their old blackfaces SS gear dating back to the 70's when we had a Peavey PA mixer that was pretty horrible. I also owned several of their amps back then and knew how they were built so I how never thought much of their gear other then it was budget stuff. I revised my opinions after owning a fewer high end pieces of gear since then but Peavey on a guitar headstock still doesn't light me up like other brand names just because of those old associations I had developed.

Archived