price hikes for suckers

papaschtroumpf

• Members

I got this email from MF about "stocking stuffers" for the musician in your life. First of all we just about never spend over $100 on out main presents, so to me a stocking stuffer I'd about $5. Nothing to do with bring smallish. Next, the email advertises a $129 ditto looper. Say what? You can usually find it at $99 any other day, and I've seen them ad low ad $69. So MF is hoping significant others and other gift givers are going to pay the inflated price because they don't know better?

• Members

It's kinda weird, I'm off of MF's mailing list lately even though the numbers of purchases I've made from them are well into the 3 digit category and in the 10s of thousands of bucks - that happens with them from time to time - but that weirdness aside ~

I got a similar catalog from American Musical Supply and indeed I noticed the same thing, i.e. overpriced, full priced items that were not even that interesting or novel. And in addition, many of the items are ones that are often in their "Daily Deal". So it's an opportunity to pay full price on bargain level gear. Happy Holidays from our on-line music gear dealers. :rolleyes2:

• Members

P.S.

This Fender Black Face-style Lunchbox is about the only thing I've seen (in a Woodwind and Brasswind Holiday ad) that caught my eye.

I think it would be fun for putting some loose guitar gear into, i.e picks, strings, string cleaners, tools, patch cords, etc.

http://www.wwbw.com/Hal-Leonard-Fender-Black-Tolex-Metal-Lunch-Box--Blackface--J08879-i3698219.wwbw

Not too bad at $15 + free shipping. Pretty damn small though. Get out your ruler before ordering.

• Members

I'm pretty tired of GC/Musician's Friend, etc. RARELY are there any real deals out there anymore. SDOTD has been reduced to CAD drum mics, BBE Sonic Maximizers, and Harbinger speakers. Whatever happen to great deals on pedals, even guitars on the SDOTD? Remember "Fender Fridays"? Too bad they've given up on those days... I'll spend my money elsewhere...

• Members

The had some good deals on guitars last week (if you like the Charvel Desolation series) but they are few and far between. I have a feeling that Fender pulled the plug on the Fender Fridays. They only do price cuts on instruments now if they are blowing them out. I'm not expecting anything good this shopping season to be honest. I'm hoping the end of the year sales are good but I'm not holding my breath on that either.

• Members
I'm pretty tired of GC/Musician's Friend, etc. RARELY are there any real deals out there anymore. SDOTD has been reduced to CAD drum mics, BBE Sonic Maximizers, and Harbinger speakers. Whatever happen to great deals on pedals, even guitars on the SDOTD? Remember "Fender Fridays"? Too bad they've given up on those days... I'll spend my money elsewhere...

Keep looking. I agree, it's funny how often those 3 items you mention show up on the SDOTD. And I already have one Sonic Maximizer pedal! LOL

I have seen some tempting guitars, but I've got enough guitars now that nothing they offer catches my interest. They did have a Charvel last week with active Duncans for under 3 bills, but I have my share of better looking EMG equipped axes. Earlier this year I picked up some BC Rich guitars at some good prices, but I probably would have been better off skipping those deals.

But pedals, I still do find some good deals on pedals. True, they are usually not the most desirable, but I've found some good deals there.

Last week I bought a Way Huge Distortion pedal (reg $180 on sale for < $70) and it turned out to be pretty cool. It's the most dynamic distortion pedal I've ever bought. Yes, OD pedals often are, but most distortion pedals only clean up well if you turn them off, but that Way Huge pedal gets a wide range of tones just from my guitar volume. Some of the other pedals I've bought recently haven't been quite as successful, but the prices have still made it kind of fun.

AMS is another story. They usually sell some cable for 5 bucks off.

• Members

No it isn't.

Lol

I'm really hoping there isn't a can't pass deal on a Tele, I have been GASing for one but don't know how I would explain it to my wife (I have two guitars, she already think that's one too many). Unfortunately it's not a matter of money, getting it for $20 would still not make it justifiable in her opinion. I guess she's the best GAS cure I know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

My problem is that I rarely buy anything new, so I suppose I'm mentally handicapped in a way that makes me immune to advertisements like this. For the things that I *do* buy new (like strings or cords, etc) I just buy them when I need them because I need them, regardless of whether or not they're on sale.

Archived