HNGD to me Part Deux - Vintage LE Content (with inlays)

travisty

• Members

HNGD to me. As a long-time collector of 20th century Japanese woodcraft, this spoke to me. Above and beyond being an instrument.

So I did something stupid. I bought it.

1988 limited edition (of 20) YEG-100a.

Curly maple top, Honduran Mahogany back and neck. Ebony fingerboard. Cool carving on the upper horn and headstock.

Little LEDs on the fingerboard along with the dots.

Yamaha's first use of its passive/active hybrid 2-way pups (H.I.P.S.) which later showed up on a number of guitars.

One can get almost the same thing from the Image Custom brought out a year later (same pups, same fb, etc) under the 'auspices' of being a Martyn Booth design. Martyn Booth quit Yamaha the following year and set up shop himself making almost the same thing.

Sounds nice. Looks the dogs dangly bits IMHO.

Kind of scared to play it, but playing it anyway.

13a3e7ae6928e133b477068ec217e447.thumb.jpg.ad5a261c353953944578942c04921baf.jpg

814a39e2d3580184df75892a3241222d.thumb.jpg.52de893c40ce3145faa70a91fa9c803f.jpg

2a9a66f74498528931340089c188876c.thumb.jpg.a5bbe43d49ed258b5f12fa7da11c2436.jpg

f1ca72e6d91f1fe2a0856472c98917c9.thumb.jpg.414ac6546f4062611418a1ceefb38aa4.jpg

• Members

Thanks gents. I like it but I come at this one from a different perspective - from the POV that it represents the 'zeitgeist' (which was, in the very late 80s, that of conspicuous wealth creation and consumption, with a slight tilt towards nationalism (the phoenix is 'Chinese', but the Japanese use it as a classical intellectual symbol of national rebirth).

But believe it or not it sounds really great. Sustain for miles, and the pups are wonderful.

• Members

Wow, again, never seen one. Still, I love the contours and the headstock, I think it really does work as a piece. Almost more a piece of art than a guitar, in some ways. HNGD! :thu:

Thanks gents. I like it but I come at this one from a different perspective - from the POV that represents the zeitgeist' (which was, in the very late 80s, that of conspicuous wealth creation and consumption, a slight tilt towards nationalism (the phoenix is 'Chinese', but the Japanese use it as a classical intellectual symbol of national rebirth).

But believe it or not it sounds really great. Sustain for miles, and the pups are wonderful.

Great analysis, and glad to hear it sounds good. :rawk:

• Members

Thanks Les Paul Lover,

The materials, body shape/styling with the curleycues, body inlay, and headstock piece were unique to this model - which was a 100th anniversary of Yamaha Group model (by the way the LEDs turn on and off (I had them turned on for photo 'bling') and if they are not turned on, you can't see them - they are little matte black dots on an ebony fingerboard).

The technical bits were repeated in the short-lived Yamaha Image Custom from a year later - which was a Martyn Booth 'design' of an SG body.

The only other body shape and material which looks 'similar' to me is the Yamaha TSG, which also has a 'curl' on the upper horn, and was also a limited edition (from '85), and also introduced parts and technology which later became standard on Yamaha's higher end guitars. It too is something of an acquired taste, but it is truly a beautiful guitar as well.

Archived