Is Keith Urban the next Estaban ?

gardo

• Members
Maybe he can teach you something. He can really play (in a pentatonic way).

[video=youtube;dMrmS9NvA48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMrmS9NvA48

Ah, I believe that is what you colonials call "Country" music. Or perhaps "Western", I'm never quite sure. We don't really get much into that over here :)

Not a fan of the song but he plays quite nicely actually - not too flashy or shreddy.

• Members

I think it's a hard time to make a living as a musician, unless you're Taylor Swift.

I know you're being a little cheeky as well, but I imagine he and Nicole aren't struggling. It just seems a bit crass for someone of his stature to be hawking cheap guitars. Course with all the A list stars gobbling up the commercial endorsements these days, who am I to judge. It's a far cry from when the Beatles refused to allow their songs to be used for advertising fodder.

• Members

I know you're being a little cheeky as well, but I imagine he and Nicole aren't struggling. It just seems a bit crass for someone of his stature to be hawking cheap guitars. Course with all the A list stars gobbling up the commercial endorsements these days, who am I to judge. It's a far cry from when the Beatles refused to allow their songs to be used for advertising fodder.

A lot of artists are exploring all kinds of options for making a buck. I'm sure Urban isn't hurting, but the music business is in tatters.

If he wants to sell guitars and lessons, more power to him. And if he gets more people interested in playing guitar, maybe, in the long run, we'll get more people actually putting out decent guitar music and more people willing to pay for it.

• Members

And if he gets more people interested in playing guitar, maybe, in the long run, we'll get more people actually putting out decent guitar music and more people willing to pay for it.

Perhaps, but then again maybe it's the whole DIY thing combined with push button access to every type of music on the internet that's crippling the music industry in the first place. I actually assumed that the Country market was more immune to the shake up but I guess not.

• Members
Is he really one of the greatest guitarist of our generation? [/u]I prefer not to listen to country' date=' grew up listening to the rock gods, so I don't know.[/quote']

Not hardly. He's certainly a competent professional guitarist. Plays your typical pentatonic rock vocabulary.

• Members

Keith Urban is way bigger than Esteban ever dreamed of. I think he can play pretty good. I have a friend that worked sound on some of his US gigs and said he seemed like a nice guy that was good to the crew and interested in having good sound at his gigs. I also believe he had a nice collection of guitars a lot of which were ruined in the Nashville flood.

As far as his guitar line goes I can't knock it till I try or at least see one. Senor Esteban's guitars are/were crap but were cheaper.

I think anything that gets/keeps people playing the guitar is a good thing so I am glad that he has done this.

PS He is worth around $75 million dollars and has had 11 #1 hits. Won 4 grammys and been named CMA entertainer of the year.

Archived