Request: please stop auto-censoring our posts

niceguy

• Members

Profanity shouldn't be censored. I want to type bull{censored}. And see these damn asterisks? That's total bull{censored}.

This is possibly one of the major reasons I post less frequently here. I'll post less and less and eventually stop posting altogether if this auto-censoring isn't fixed.

I'm not a kindergartener, and I don't need some nanny monitoring my {censored}ing language.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is the website of a family friendly store and sets it's parameters accordingly.

I'm sure there are hardcore sites out there if you want to cuss.

I have spent a chunk of my life in biker gangs and can swear like a trooper but I recognise there are places like here and my mother's home :) where it is not appropriate.

I am gobsmacked that anyone posts less here because they can't swear, I think that is hyperbole to be honest.

• Members
This is the website of a family friendly store and sets it's parameters accordingly.

I'm sure there are hardcore sites out there if you want to cuss.

I have spent a chunk of my life in biker gangs and can swear like a trooper but I recognise there are places like here and my mother's home :) where it is not appropriate.

I am gobsmacked that anyone posts less here because they can't swear, I think that is hyperbole to be honest.

Oh you must not have been here when this forum was alive and active. See, back in 2001 when I joined up, this place was so alive. People don't like being censored.

Everything you just said has pushed me from 95% "I'm gonna stop coming to HCForums" to 99.99999999% sure I'm going to stop.

Family friendly store? What has this place become, a digital hangout for Hobby Lobby?

Well, I guess this forum is going to lose one more longtime member.

• Members

Oh you must not have been here when this forum was alive and active. See, back in 2001 when I joined up, this place was so alive. People don't like being censored.

Everything you just said has pushed me from 95% "I'm gonna stop coming to HCForums" to 99.99999999% sure I'm going to stop.

Family friendly store? What has this place become, a digital hangout for Hobby Lobby?

Well, I guess this forum is going to lose one more longtime member.

Yeah, soon please.

• Members

This site is already down to crickets chirping....yes, no one likes to be censored but this site is practically dead, not because people can't swear, there are plenty of places to do that if you so wish, but I really doubt your threat to leave, or actually leaving, is going to have much impact on the traffic here one way or another

• Members

niceguy: We haven't had profanity here in over 2 years. It isn't something new. This isn't censorship. This is a privately owned community. It is the desire of the owners to help people of all ages "make better music" and in the process we do not care to be the place to decide when someones young guitarist is subjected to "backstage" language. Parents can make that choice. People are allowed to post here and if not being able to curse causes you to want to leave, then so be it. That is the great thing about a free place to hang. You can come and go as you wish. Obviously, you're a "niceguy" so hopefully you'll stick around. :)

• Members

I understand the language policy and can see why the owners would want it implemeneted.

I do think though that the "flavour" or character of the forum has changed and this is the main driver for the drop in traffic.

The " old" forum was much more robust in nature. I think this was driven by the majority of members having an opinion and not being scared to express it. Now the forum is so much more P.C. With lots of grey opinions and lets not upset anyone by disagreeing. I am sure this is just a reflection of society in general and particularly the new culture of waiting to be offended on social media.

Its politically correct and child friendly, but in the most, boring.

Yes I read a lot of posts and I learn a lot but the things I choose to comment on are getting fewer and fewer.

Some will cheer and applaud that fact, but thats my point, people dont want confrontation, debate or an oposing opinion. There is actually a member who has me on ignore, because I disagreed with his opinion. Nothing factual, just his opinion. Says it all really.

Maybe its a generational thing but in the past one would argue black and one argue white, and heatedly discuss it. Now the concensus jump in and agree on the "nice" answer, grey. Zzzzzzzzzzzz:angry37:!

• Members
I understand the language policy and can see why the owners would want it implemeneted.

I do think though that the "flavour" or character of the forum has changed and this is the main driver for the drop in traffic.

The " old" forum was much more robust in nature. I think this was driven by the majority of members having an opinion and not being scared to express it. Now the forum is so much more P.C. With lots of grey opinions and lets not upset anyone by disagreeing. I am sure this is just a reflection of society in general and particularly the new culture of waiting to be offended on social media.

Its politically correct and child friendly, but in the most, boring.

Yes I read a lot of posts and I learn a lot but the things I choose to comment on are getting fewer and fewer.

Some will cheer and applaud that fact, but thats my point, people dont want confrontation, debate or an oposing opinion. There is actually a member who has me on ignore, because I disagreed with his opinion. Nothing factual, just his opinion. Says it all really.

Maybe its a generational thing but in the past one would argue black and one argue white, and heatedly discuss it. Now the concensus jump in and agree on the "nice" answer, grey. Zzzzzzzzzzzz:angry37:!

Knotty: I honestly think the traffic dropped because we went through two versions of platforms that, well *******ed. :)

But don't forget, we also during this time had the advent of Facebook which replaced and/or caused a great lull in forum participation. Many are now "over" Facebook or other social media as they realize that a primary objective is to sell ads and target your personal information (ever notice that you are served up ads about the things you recently visited online!) :angry21:

We have really been working hard to restore the community user experience back to the pre 2010 era. (sans the language).

In another post I explained it like this:

Harmony Central was this tremendous town. The town government lost focus so the streets didn't get cleaned, the water wasn't safe to drink and the infrastructure was tattered. The government finally realized that they didn't completely understand the town, so they stepped aside from making the core decisions regarding your experience here, and they late concerned and caring citizens take over the responsibility to restoring the town back to being a placed that was great to live in. We are working on it and slowly but surely if you have hung with us since the new launch in April 14' you've seen things get cleaned, painted, tidied-up and improved. Now, the citizens just need to start believing in the town again and start knowing that it is safe to come back in and participate.

Maybe a corny way of explaining it, but my best shot ...

D

• Members

Knotty: I honestly think the traffic dropped because we went through two versions of platforms that, well *******ed. :)

But don't forget, we also during this time had the advent of Facebook which replaced and/or caused a great lull in forum participation. Many are now "over" Facebook or other social media as they realize that a primary objective is to sell ads and target your personal information (ever notice that you are served up ads about the things you recently visited online!) :angry21:

We have really been working hard to restore the community user experience back to the pre 2010 era. (sans the language).

In another post I explained it like this:

Harmony Central was this tremendous town. The town government lost focus so the streets didn't get cleaned, the water wasn't safe to drink and the infrastructure was tattered. The government finally realized that they didn't completely understand the town, so they stepped aside from making the core decisions regarding your experience here, and they late concerned and caring citizens take over the responsibility to restoring the town back to being a placed that was great to live in. We are working on it and slowly but surely if you have hung with us since the new launch in April 14' you've seen things get cleaned, painted, tidied-up and improved. Now, the citizens just need to start believing in the town again and start knowing that it is safe to come back in and participate.

Maybe a corny way of explaining it, but my best shot ...

D

I agree Dendy. The initail drop was undoubtedly due to the clunky machinery.

Whats more worrying though is that when some of the old school do pop back they go again quickly or lurk and dont post.

Maybe we have just dropped below the traffic level needed for interaction to take place. So people go again.

A bit like popping into an empty bar with no atmosphere.

• Members

I agree Dendy. The initail drop was undoubtedly due to the clunky machinery.

Whats more worrying though is that when some of the old school do pop back they go again quickly or lurk and dont post.

Maybe we have just dropped below the traffic level needed for interaction to take place. So people go again.

A bit like popping into an empty bar with no atmosphere.

Believe it or not traffic is WAY up but it is all visitors. Regulars may come back if they realize that the bar is being renovated and that "everyone still knows their name". In the mean time, we'll just 'keep on keeping on' at restoring the place and for those who lurk ...we'll leave a light on for ya.

• Moderators
OK bye everyone! Enjoy the herbal tea and Bible readings.

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the longest-time forumites who was still trying to salvage whatever was left of this forum. I see now that it's truly dead here.

Dude, if I can can operate without profanity, anybody can, besides a tad of though and it's all fúckin good

• Moderators
What about saying things like... "I'm naked and touching myself" or "Hitler did a lot of good things"...?

is it actually Hitler that is touching you, and he did quite a lot of good things,......VW Beetle, autobahns, aquaducts, law an order, education.....or was that the Romans. I like some of his paintings too, and I'm happy that you're feeling comfortable enough to let us know about the touching yourself thing

• Members
So' date=' traffic is down, because we can't curse? Really......[/quote']

Other than the terrible software changes, the Admins didn't help by making promises they couldn't keep, generally ignoring loyal posters, and even neglect on their part concerning various matters on the board. Basically, the only forum I see adequate moderation is the Political Party, and that's because Phil likes to post his own opinions in there all the time. That's not a knock on Phil (*Rolleyes*), but certain Admins/Mods just aren't doing a good job.

And yes, I know from my own experiences as a mod and admin on other forums. I know all too well what keeps users coming back and what drives them away. An admin can scare an entire forum away if they mess up.

Archived