It's the good old hot or not routine...

billybilly

• Members

To be honest, I've never played a Michael Kelly but I like the look of this one. $399 bills which seems pretty good, I love the finish. I see they have moved to Indonesia, which may or may not be a concern from Korea. I'll leave the specs below.

Michael Kelly Patriot Decree Coral Blue

fetch?id=31297084

Features : Set Neck Construction Mahogany Body 5-Ply White - Black Body Binding Flame Maple Top Mahogany Neck Single-Ply Neck Binding Rosewood Fretboard 12" Fretboad Radius 22 Frets Pearl Bone Inlays Traditional MK Electric Headstock 2 Volume, 2 Push-Pull Tone (coil tap), 3-way Toggle Electronics Michael Kelly PAF-Plus Pickups Standard Nut Synthetic Graphite Nut Material 43mm Nut Width Grover Tuners Tune-o-matic/String Thru Bridge Chrome Hardware

While the ad reads "editors pick" I haven't' found any evidence on the net.

• Members

I'd be about in the middle with that guitar. The hottest thing about it (for me) is a Guitar Player endorsement (even though I know to be skeptical about such things). I'd be interested if I didn't have too many other guitars similar in build.

And I actually have bought some good tone rigs that were made in Indonesa, like my 2 recent Silvertone Reissues, my Epiphone Worn Wilshire, and my Yamaha SA503 TVL. But other than the Yamaha, the others (while sounding good) seem prone to quickly developing issues with the input jacks or p'up switches. I blame that more so on the quality of components spec'd versus the origin, but the two seem to be linked. It would be better if manufacturers would stick to "cheaper labor, but with quality parts" as was originally done with the Brawley guitars (2000 - 2002). But it's all relative. Back then the cheap labor was S. Korea. Now S. Korea is like the new MIJ, i.e more highly revered. But from the perspective of one luthier I know, the Korean productions (mostly Sammick) came from a more traditional luthier trained/heritage factory, not just built from ground up, like some of the newer facilities in China (e.g. for Epiphone). But I also think it has a fair amount to do with which company is doing the oversight; for example, I've had no problems with my Indonesian-made Yamaha. But those damn things were expensive, despite being made in Indonesia. The actual street price was $1,000 (the MSRP was $1,500) but I grabbed mine on the close-out for $400. Helluva guitar at that price.

But the review from GP is pretty decent: http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/michael-kelly-patriot-decree/12857

That one issue they note about the tone getting murky when the volume gets turned down would be a bit of a pain. I've gotten more into low watt amps these days where I can go from clean to grind using just my guitar volume or even just my attack (my Marshall 1W Offset is amazing how much dynamics in tone I can get just from the attack on the strings), and on my guitars where the volume pots cut the treble/articulation, that can be a bit of a pain. For the longest time, I used to noodle with my guitars with everything wide open and just tweak at the amp. Once I got more into using the guitar's volume and tones, I found that some guitars (for example my Squier Telecaster Custom II) went from being a favorite guitar to throw in the trunk for heading off to jams with friends, to a bit more of a dog.

But OTOH, if you don't mind breaking out the soldering iron, that would not deter.

• Members

The only thing I don't like is the Guitar Player endorsement. I subscribed to that magazine for years and don't believe the reviews. They don't lie outright, but they're really selective about what brands they "review". Plus there always seem to be full page glossy ads elsewhere in the mag for the "best in the test" gear/brands. How coincidental! So I'd get an Agile instead. :)

• Members

I have a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom made in Korea. Tiger quilt, 24 frets, ebony fretboard, EMG 81/85 pickups. I like it quite a bit -- the quality is fabulous and it is just beautiful. It feels right, and it plays right. But, one thing I've learned in my old age is that i'm not so fond of EMG pickups anymore. Doh!

Archived