Two types of Wilkinson tremolos (with pictures and specs)

pilau

• Members

I am on the market for a new second hand guitar. Currently looking at two superstrat guitars of the same model on offer, the only difference being one has a Wilkinson VS-50 tremolo and the other a Wilkinson WVP tremolo. The links have technical specs, if you are interested.

This is the guitar with the Wilk VS50 tremolo:

ickzm8.png

And below is the guitar with the Wilk WVP tremolo:

t9co3l.png

For those of you familiar with these bridges:

1) Firstly, is either superior over the other in terms of flexibilty; range of motion; abuse tolerance; and overall keeping of the string in tune?

2) Would you recommend either one or both for heavy metal and jazz styles?

3) Can you use either to make effects like divebombs, dimebag squeals etc. a la floating tremolos?

I have been researching these guitars for the better part of the past two weeks. One of the bids ends tomorrow, so I need to reach a decision today. Thank you in advance!

• Members

I had a VS50 in a strat and liked it. Very smooth action. Setting intonation was a bit of a pain, but not that big a deal. I'd get another one.

The WVP has a steel block. While the VS50 block is full size, I don't think it is steel... made of that zink alloy stuff.

• Members

I've got that VS50 in a PRS knock-off. Very nice trem. I'm using it with a Trem Setter so the combo stays in tune quite well. You can do dive bombs but it's nothing like a recessed Floyd. The E,B & G string will not go slack like you can do with a Floyd but you can get your wound strings to collapse. Even with the Trem Setter, vigorous usage will knock it out of tune. Again, It's not a Floyd.

Archived