where do you keep your guitars ?

gardo

• Members

I started out with one guitar on a stand in th living room ,then two guitars on stands. Next a guitar in a case under the bed (which I somehow forgot about for a while,the guitar that is not the bed)

Then another guiar in a case in the dining room . Now I try to keep them all in one place so I don't forget about them and they get played. The problem is I've got a big stack of guitar cases in the diningroom and that's not working out. My wife suggested hanging them on the wall in the livingroom but I don't want everybody who walks down the street to look in and see them and I don't want the grubby hands of visitors on them. So where do you keep yuor guitars?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In my finished basement, in stands next to the amp, which is itself on a computer cart with a laptop on it, so that I can play youtube, tracks, etc.. through the amp, as well as load/save presets to my amp. That's my "music corner" in the room that also serves as the kid's video game room, second TV room and pool room...

I have a classical guitar in a case leaning on the TV stand that doesn't see much action.

My kid's strat clone is in a gig bag next to the classical because the frets are sticking out the sides of the neck and catching strings so he doesn't want to play it anymore.

thinking about getting hooks on the wall to get them off the floor, only keeping one stand next to the amp for whatever I am playing at the time, but I still need to figure out where to store 3 hardshell cases and a gig bag if the guitars are non longer in them. (but still handy enough for when I head out to practice)

• Members
In my finished basement, in stands next to the amp, which is itself on a computer cart with a laptop on it, so that I can play youtube, tracks, etc.. through the amp, as well as load/save presets to my amp. That's my "music corner" in the room that also serves as the kid's video game room, second TV room and pool room...

I have a classical guitar in a case leaning on the TV stand that doesn't see much action.

My kid's strat clone is in a gig bag next to the classical because the frets are sticking out the sides of the neck and catching strings so he doesn't want to play it anymore.

thinking about getting hooks on the wall to get them off the floor, only keeping one stand next to the amp for whatever I am playing at the time, but I still need to figure out where to store 3 hardshell cases and a gig bag if the guitars are non longer in them. (but still handy enough for when I head out to practice)

Sounds a lot like my basement ,but I don't keep guitars there because we keep the heat low when no one is using it.

• Members
I keep mine standing on end in cases or gig bags in a corner of the living room' date=' except my first guitar and my 12-string in the basement and a POS Jay Turser acoustic lying on the couch, also in the living room.[/quote']

Is it bad to keep an acoustic guitar standing on end in a case? I've heard it puts too much pressure on the ed pin .

• Members

Everywhere. I have a hallway leading to my garage I turned into a storage area, one wall in an alcove off of the master bedroom, I turned into a storage area, the sauna, I turned into a storage area.

I'm now working on creating 2 level storage out of wire shelving. Each shelf can hold a lot of weight so it's turning out to be a good system. I've got one of two areas converted to 2 levels. More wire shelving on the way for the bedroom alcove. I hope to divest enough guitars to some day free the sauna. But hell, I'm no Swede, I'm a GAS'r, I need room for my collecting/borderline hoarding I can always sweat somewhere else.

But each room has them available within reach too. Next to my recliner in the living room, next to my desk in my office/guest bedroom, and one hanging off the wall next to my bed. Hell, I used to have one in the bathroom until my wife warned me that with her applying hairspray in that room, I might want to reconsider that placement. Sure, I'm over the edge, but one thing I do say to aspiring guitar players is that you've got to have them handy when the inspiration hits. Having to move might be too much effort. So I'm all about "arm's reach".

• Members

I have 270 sq ft condo in Thailand and around 14 guitars, plus some amps. A couple under the bed, 5 behind couch, most of the rest behind free standing closet, a couple hangers here and there. If I want a new one, I promised self I have to give one away.

• Members

Do you have a horisontal board to fasten the hangers to or just run them into the wall ?

You guessed it. Dry wall wont hold a guitar.

I use a 1"X6"X8' boards that are screwed to the studs on the wall. Then I screw the hooks into the board. This allows a secure hold on the hooks and can hang 6 guitars on that one board. I'd like to hang a second row below but I have so much gear packed in that studio I have to use the bottom of that wall to place amps against it.

• Members

I've got twenty stringed instruments in all. The ones not in use and the dead cases live on a wire shelf in my basement, upright on the bottom. The top two shelves hold various drums that aren't currently set up. I have three hangers in my den that usually hold two quick grab guitars and a mandolin. These get rotated occasionally. I have one on a stand in my office at work. One at my best friend's house. And finally, I keep 3-4 at my studio/rehearsal space, on hangers. Right now, my Starfire, Jaguar and #1 Strat are there. I'm in the process of building a man cave in my basement, where more will hang.

• Members

Is it bad to keep an acoustic guitar standing on end in a case? I've heard it puts too much pressure on the ed pin .

A good acoustic case will have a relief for the end pin and the case should fit the guitar snuggly all around. A cheap case without padding could be bad, and there are documented incidents of people dropping guitar cases on their ends and splitting the guitar. Mostly I wouldn't worry about it

• Members

In their cases. Which are either piled into closets or strung out through the living room if I just returned from a tour and have been especially lazy (like now for instance, where 5 guitar cases have sat inthe living room for a couple weeks now)

Archived