How do you balance solo vs rhythm volume/tone

papaschtroumpf

• Members

Newbie/beginner alert!

I'm having trouble either not sounding too loud in my rhythm or getting drowned by the rest of the jam band during a solo. One setting definitely doesn't fit all.

since the informal jam I go to requires you use house amps, setting different channels/presets and using a foot switch is not an option. I need to use the guitar controls.

Since I have an ES335 style guitar, I have 3 switch positions and and 2 volume knobs to play with (and 2 tone knobs). Having 2 volume knobs may be a disadvantage in this case since it's a pain to roll both of them to switch. I could use a single pickup, but my guitar sounds best (at least for solo) in the middle position.

So I need to play with either switching pickups between lead and rhythm, or somehow find a way to only roll one pickup volume to switch between the two.

Also, I like my lead more distorted than my rhythm, but I naturally strum harder than I pick solos.

What do you guys do? I suppose some booster pedal before the amp may be the easiest solution?

• Members

it seems it`s the amount of sustain at solo volume which is the problem . when you plug into the amp get the volume and sustain to the correct level for your solo ,thats it, then back your volume off on the guitar from there for the rhythm on either the neck or bridge pickup ,as long as you haven`t got ridiculous amounts of sustain it should clean up ok if its decent gear,it`s a jam and using other peoples gear you can`t expect the best, thats all you can do without getting too anal and bringing your own pedals.

• Members

My amp has a "boost" footswitch that bumps the volume, so I often use that. It also has 2 channels, so if I want a higher gain lead sound I hit the gain channel switch and the boost switch. I also use an OCD pedal for a clean boost in some tunes. I also have a Zendrive pedal for medium gain leads for single coils and a Zendrive 2 for fatter medium gain humbucker leads. So my answer is "a whole bunch of stuff ". in your situation, if I didn't want to throw more gear at it I'd set the amp up for the best bridge pickup lead sound I could, then switch to the neck pickup and turn the volume down to clean it up and reduce the volume to rhythm level. I realise this knocks out your 2 pickup sound, but being able to quickly adjust your volume for solos is way more important IMO. No reason you can't go to both pickups and just ride the bridge pup volume as necessary.

• Members

1.Set your Lead sound than see how low you have to turn down the Volume Knobs to get a clean rhythm sound just get use to turning up and down volume knobs..2. Set 1 PU volume down (rhythm} and the other on 10 switch to both (for lead/solo) and roll up the lesser volume knob, when your solo is almost over turn the one you use for rhythm down and switch to it when your solo is over.. You'll also have to work on picking and strumming Dynamics.

• Members

Honestly, if it's an informal jam and you have to use the house amps, if these guys are drowning you out during your solos then it sounds like either they really don't want to hear you play or they have no clue how to play themselves.

I would find new guys to jam with, guys with a little more etiquette. Typically when someone is soloing you play at the level that they are playing, it's called balance. The last band I was playing with, we played loud but there were times I might want to take a low key quiet solo and my band mates would respond in kind. You've got to listen.

If these guys are drowning you out then you could simply ask them, "Hey, I can't get any louder for my solo, can you come down a little when I solo?" If that doesn't work then I would question whether it's worth it to play with them again. Seriously. There are a lot of musicians and some of them are not so fun to jam with.

• Members

I'm not great player-pro, so for me, an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9 works best for me. I'll set it to where it's thickening the notes enough to balance out going from chords to note progressions, plus with enough level to make it rise out of the mix where it needs to be. The characteristic "mid-hump" folks talk about with the TS-9 for me makes it a natural for coming out with a solo. If you can get it done with just your guitar volume, then - all the better, but that's not a totally easy skill either. Especially when you want to quickly spin the volume back down - and not go too far. With a pedal, you know exactly where your two levels will end up. Add a second OD or Distortion pedal if you want to get a 3rd and 4th level and tone. i.e. Clean, + pedal A, + pedal B, and plus pedal A&B

• Members

What I would try, no need to buy a pedal so no harm...

Set your lead volume middle pos with both volumes dimed on the guitar. Now switch to the neck and roll back the neck volume for your rhythm parts. It will clean up and volume will go down.

Now for lead switch back to both pickups, leave the volumes alone. In all likelihood you will get a volume bump and also a treble bump. Rolling back the neck pickup in the middle position will not immediately lower the volume much, but will add high end. Might work.

• Members
What I would try, no need to buy a pedal so no harm...

Set your lead volume middle pos with both volumes dimed on the guitar. Now switch to the neck and roll back the neck volume for your rhythm parts. It will clean up and volume will go down.

Now for lead switch back to both pickups, leave the volumes alone. In all likelihood you will get a volume bump and also a treble bump. Rolling back the neck pickup in the middle position will not immediately lower the volume much, but will add high end. Might work.

This.

But failing that, a clean boost pedal or an OD pedal with the gain set to zero and the level set about 1/2 way.

• Members

I use a Digitech RP- 1 and RP-12 going into a Digitech 2112 rack unit.

I have CC toggle 22 from the RP-12 trigger the RP-1's effects loop with BBE Stomp Sonic Pedal, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster ,an MXR 10 band eq to boost the upper mids and the upper frequencies while the 2112 unit boosts my signal up 6 db's for soloing.

While raising the volume up just a hair, my setup boost frequencies that will make it stand out more in the frequency department.

• Members

I'm a longtime 335 player and I find that the best way to get a clean sound when there is overdrive on the amplifier is with both pickups on and carefully blending the volumes of the two pickups. I would suggest you not shy away from adjusting the two volume controls but embrace it and get good at it.

I also recommend an overdrive pedal and suggest the Boss Blues Driver. It works well with the 335 and can be adjusted to simply give a nice boost for solos or dial in as much distortion as you feel you need. The good thing about having the volume controls turned down on your guitar is that when you use the overdrive as your volume boost you can turn up the volume control(s) on your guitar to increase the amount of overdrive from the pedal.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. Last night, I used an OD pedal I made and customized myself (based on this Premier Guitar article http://www.premierguitar.com/article...r-own-stompbox) and it worked quite well for now. With volume set to 8 and gain to about 3, It boosted the volume sufficiently and added a little extra something to the lead/solo tone that was very pleasant but didn't take it into full overdrive.

I may look at the Blues Driver or some Tube Screamer clone in the future, but maybe not, I was quite happy about the tone through my homemade pedal.

• Members

Very simple: pedal. But, you'll do best to place the pedal in your effects loops, so that you get an actual volume boost, not just more saturation.

Just get an MXR Micro Amp or EQ pedal, stick it in the loop, and you'll now have access to a true lead boost.

• Members
you're right' date=' although there is something to be said about the simplicity of adding a pedal before the amp, especially when messing with house amps that you're not super familiar with.[/quote']

And this is precisely WHY you should be putting the pedal in the loop. Some amps will give you an actual volume boost when using a pedal into the preamp; other amps won't-- they'll just saturate your signal and perhaps even make your guitar "disappear" due to muddying of EQ.

But a clean boost pedal into the power amp will always work! :thu:

Archived