NGD: Real Fender strat?

chimi

• Members

So this morning i see a Fender Strat pop up on my local craigslist. The picture of the headstock shows made in US... I texted the guy and he was nice enough to hold it for me all day until i got out of work. He mentioned he got about 10 calls about it, which i believe. Apparently his wife bought it for their son a few years ago who gave up playing.

The guy knew exactly what he had, it's not like he didn't know anything about guitars. But the price was amazing. Even less than a MIM Fender goes for these days on craigslist. From what i could find online it's an early 90s one. I know absolutely nothing about Fenders so if anyone knows anything i would appreciate any information.

Anyways, it has a few tiny imperfections, what guitar this age doesn't? I plugged it in and WOW what a gorgeous sound. I have never had a real strat, i've liked the looks and i've always loved the necks on fenders and even most squiers but have usually had humbucker equipped guitars. I've had ones with coil taps but they were not the same. The cleans on this thing are just amazing. The neck is super comfy and smooth.

f46fed1e835aa79197300ed56b83f336.jpg.0d994a2e17fdf092ff0521de25d1d988.jpg

214b1fdab3ed7abcee2237703a7b02c0.jpg.d4984ee0408dd88df016bd4762583948.jpg

7982517261dc876f23bd6a03e423e464.jpg.e6e356c9998b3c2d4d56af930e52708b.jpg

31d4c392e315c143011b1af60a7c3d10.jpg.6838fdf72a0bc1d3bfa394748e059785.jpg

• Members

It's got the 70's headstock and a Vintage style trem.

The only guitars that I know that have that are the Fender American Special Stratocasters.

However, I don't remember these coming in black. The Fender American Special Stratocaster was a line that came out a couple years ago...so. Also, yours has the older style string trees.

Be interested to find out what it is myself.

Are you for sure it was a 90's model?

• Members

String tree type and placement are wrong. The E&B string tree is supposed to be placed further from the nut between the D & A tuning pegs on all fenders. The G&D string tree gets placed even with the A tuner, If it had one which the 1993 American Strat doesn't. The tree for the E&B is low also.

Its likely someone bought a counterfeit neck, and stuck it on a cheaper body, then put the string trees on themselves and didn't know where they were supposed to be placed.

This doesn't mean its a bad guitar. The quality may be very good, but you shouldn't get soaked for it being anything other then it is, a forged build.

• Members

I don't think a conversation with the seller will change much. I like the guitar enough to keep it for a while (though i rotate my gear pretty frequently). When i do get rid of it i will make sure the person buying it knows what they are getting.

• Moderators

Go with Dale's advice, as that rosewood plug makes that either a Fender neck or a Warmoth neck, there is one other possibility but I doubt it.

Pull the neck and look for Warmoths bigass branding on the heel, then it'd be good to see a pic of the neck pocket too, and finally as Dale says, pull the guard and see what's you fin don the pickguard and under it. If it's all good on the guard and the body is proper fairy blessed tonewood, then you have a good guitar, albeit not what it's trying to look like

I'm betting you find a set of CS69s in there.

Also is it a 3 or 4 bolt neck?

• Members
I would pull the neck and guard to see what I could find.

Looks like a rosewood plug in the truss rod hole. Perhaps warmoth. Squier has plastic and most cheapies just have a hole.

Yeah, I was thinking it was a Squire neck as they do make large headstock model that has 22 frets.

But you are saying plastic truss hole only the Squires. ...a Warmoth neck would be cool, and it does look like a nice piece of wood from the pics.

If you do get some more pics, I'd like to see one of the backside of the trem to see what the block looks like.

• Members
I don't think a conversation with the seller will change much. I like the guitar enough to keep it for a while (though i rotate my gear pretty frequently). When i do get rid of it i will make sure the person buying it knows what they are getting.

You're a class act Chimi. If it plays good and sounds good, it is good. Your opinion is the only one that matters. Still, I'd probably let the seller know he's a lowlife douche for misrepresenting.

Archived