Let's see your under $100 guitars!

Virgman

• Members
Not into doing mods on guitars so I don't buy cheap guitars which always need to be fixed in some way.

That's ok.

I've never modded any of my guitars period. Setting up a guitar properly is not considered modding a guitar. Modding would be replacing pickups, tuners, hardware, etc.

Some people just like to mod their guitars no matter what they cost which is ok too.

But why make a negative post in a thread that does not interest you?

• Members

Mine are all acoustics - my first guitar, new in 1969 was a hundred dollar Yamie which I still have

Yamaha1970.jpg

and the little guy in the middle was ten bucks at an estate sale (yea, it says Martin on the headstock)

Martins.jpg

I also buy guitars at yard sales, fix them up as best I can and donate them to a local music program. Gives me practice at repairing and gives some kid a good playable guitar.

• Members

Here's an old pic of my Fernandes Strat:

fetch?id=31288459

$50 on CraigsList with a gig bag. It had a cracked nut, a loose jack, and a butt ugly discolored white pickguard. I've since replaced the pickguard with a tortoise one and all the hardware with black to match the Mini Grover tuners I put on it. I have more than $100 in it now but it was playable as it was except for the nut.

• Members

Here are some of my cheapos; though they were all decent guitars, all but two have gone on to other homes for various reasons.

MIK Squier (WITH Duncans & 7-way switching) that was given to me b/c the frets were worn down to nothing. I threw on a 'Golden Gate' (aka Saga) neck that I got on sale for $30 and it was good to go! Ended up giving it away to my brother after his girlfriends son stole/ pawned almost all of his guitars:

4872207821_6859f243fe_b.jpg

My 'Garbage-Caster' that I built out of leftover parts; gave it to a friends kid for her to learn on:

2083249475_9667b1db95_o.jpg

A '64 Silvertone that I bought for $30 in the mid/ late 80's. I finally decided to unload it earlier this year and it sold for over 10X what I paid for it:

1402253686_edfcb89ca5_o.jpg

Douglas 'Halo' Explorer/ Destroyer clone. Bought it for $100 on sale & made a few tweaks (different pickups, fret level, fretboard dye, etc), but never gelled with it, so I sold it for $100:

3793293579_2344cd63ab_b.jpg

$100 'Hog Squier that I completely ripped apart, re-routed it to accept a pickguard (was originally rear-routed only), added new pickups, and installed an LR Baggs X-Trem w/ CTRL-X preamp. I recently swapped the neck for a maple one and added a black pearloid pickguard:

4713761013_d9a57c8658_b.jpg

First Act Sheena (MIK) that I picked up during the big factory sale a few years ago. I put a GFS VEH in the bridge and a Mean90 in the neck. It's my main backup guitar for one of the bands that I'm in:

17297690-f54c-41f1-9e6e-fe692c1e529e_zpsb2d58579.jpg~original

• Members

First Act Sheena (MIK) that I picked up during the big factory sale a few years ago. I put a GFS VEH in the bridge and a Mean90 in the neck. It's my main backup guitar for one of the bands that I'm in:

Did you put blue knobs on this one? Looks nice. I should have grabbed one of those in addition to the Lola.

• Members

fetch?id=31288696&type=full

Mine are all acoustics - my first guitar, new in 1969 was a hundred dollar Yamie which I still have

Yamaha1970.jpg

and the little guy in the middle was ten bucks at an estate sale (yea, it says Martin on the headstock)

Martins.jpg

I also buy guitars at yard sales, fix them up as best I can and donate them to a local music program. Gives me practice at repairing and gives some kid a good playable guitar.

Nice scores! That Martin Uke is worth some doh.

fetch?id=31288696&type=large I sold this one for $600

edf57daeee8428a1e10941a2d97c2188.jpg.9b701fc197bb56042517bc556a19b2f4.jpg

• Members

Did you put blue knobs on this one? Looks nice. I should have grabbed one of those in addition to the Lola.

Yeah. They're anodized aluminum ones that I picked up on Amazon; can't believe how well they match the color of the guitar.

I came >this< close to getting one of those Lolas as well.

• Members

:thu: Big time, still loving my Sheena, nitro'd the fretboard and plays and sounds great.

20141023_122305_zpsnqnkk9ce.jpg

• Members

This is my Jay Turser Les Paul goldtop-copy that I bought used for $80. I got it to use as a backup/ beater guitar but I found that I enjoyed it way more than I expected it to and wound up eventually upgrading it with some parts I had laying around, including: Gibson 500T/bridge, Duncan Jazz/neck with series-parallel switching, new pots and wiring, and Sperzel locking tuners. Also a set of those neck inlay decals, which I had been curious about and are actually quite cool. The guitar sounds and plays great and I use it a lot. Obviously the quality is nowhere near my Gibson Les Paul, but I like it and it is very light in weight.

604b1e61-76a3-40b6-b8e4-8d76a68304ca_zps4027ea73.jpg

Archived