? DeArmond Gold Foil HB pick-ups

profgalen

• Members

Does anyone have any experience/opinions about the DeArmond Gold Foil Humbuckers used in the DeArmond/Guild guitars from the late 90s. These were used in the Jet Star and the Starfire. The YouTube vids make them sound kind of bright. Do they have any depth? Sparkle? Do they sound better on the solid body Jet Star or the semi-hollow Starfire? Do they split?

• Members

I had the red foils on a Silvertone Silhouette and I thought they were some of the coolest sounding pickups around for that hi fi bluesy sound. One of the dumbest things I ever did was letting that little shortscale get away. Oh yeah, they weren't bright at all from my recollection, more scooped mids. I never had the goldfoils - I assumed they were all alike except for color.

• Members

I have a late 90's DeArmond with the Gold Tones, they're lovely. 6Down nails it - more solid bass than a single coil, but without some of the high end lossyness of less-than-impossibly-priced HB's.

Would also add that they have a lot of possibility and range, from switching combinations reflecting some thoughtful voicing in the pairs, to the way that different heights can really bring a lot from them.

Recommended highly.

Archived