Help me 'design' my strat... (or at least help me with the colours for a few mods)

Narcosynthesis

• Members

I have an old start copy, which I love playing, but the time has come for a bit of upgrading and fidgeting for it, but being awkward and cash strapped I have a few limits on parts and colours, so figured I would canvas some opinions on the best way to work with what I have and get the nicest looking guitar overall...

I could waffle on about plans and theories, but to try and keep it simple:

The guitar at the moment is a black strat, HSS with white pickups and pearloid pickguard.

I have a humbucker for the bridge in cream/black (cream towards the bridge, black to the neck), and two single coils that I believe I should be able to get generic covers to alter the look of fairly easily, and for a change in look will probably swap out the pickguard for something a bit different (maybe a red/brown tortoiseshell?).

That is where I am at the moment, what would you guys do in my situation? Put a cream pickup in the neck to match the bridge and a black middle one to 'hide' it? Make them all cream with a black pickguard to hide the black coil of the humbucker?

I figure you guys will have the most experience with different guitars and what combinations are likely to work or not, so any opinions/thoughts?

• Members

When I replaced the pickguard on my black Strat copy, I bought a tortoise guard. The white pickup covers had aged/discolored so that they were cream and cream looks good with tortoise IMHO. Personally I'd go with cream covers for both neck and middle pickups.

Archived