Gig bag for my Epiphone?

papaschtroumpf

• Members

I now own an Epiphone Nighthawk. It came in the Epiphone cardboard box, no case or hardshell.

I'm reluctant to spend 1/3 the value of the guitar on the suitable Epiphone hard shell case (which happens to be the SG case). So I called shops around to see if anyone had something used or cheaper, and several recommended a gig bag.Over the phone Guitar Center recommended their $40 RoadRunner bag.

Now I read all over the internet that Gibson = stay away from gig bags because of the slanted headstock, but severak shops dismissed it as being lore. Saying that a shock that will break the headstock in a gig bag will likely do the same in the hard shell. I find that hard to believe.

What is the opinion here? Anyone uses bags with slanted headstocks, e.g. Epiphones?

I'm not flying with the guitar or anything, just carrying around to practice in my trunk, etc... is a gig bag sufficient? are there any goo but cheap recommended options?

I also see that Musican's Gear makes an SG case for $60, but it doesn't look like anyone stocks it to give it a try.

Another thing to note is that the Nighthawk is pretty small (the lower bout matches the SG's) and also pretty thin, much thinner than an LP

• Members

Anyone uses bags with slanted headstocks, e.g. Epiphones?

Probably a few hundred thousand people worldwide use gigbags with their guitars that have an angled headstock. So, you'd certainly be safe with a good padded gigbag.

I also see that Musican's Gear makes an SG case for $60, but it doesn't look like anyone stocks it to give it a try.

You can also use a Musician's Gear Les Paul case.

I now own an Epiphone Nighthawk. It came in the Epiphone cardboard box, no case or hardshell.

You could go cheap and simply attach a handle to that cardboard box. :D

• Members

Probably a few hundred thousand people worldwide use gigbags with their guitars that have an angled headstock. So, you'd certainly be safe with a good padded gigbag. . . .

Yeah, my "good" acoustic lives in a gig bag and has an angled headstock. No problems in the 10+ years I've had it. Same with my bass and a couple of lower priced acoustics. Truth is, the only guitar I have with a straight headstock is my Strat and the majority are in gig bags. Anyway, congratulations on the Nighthawk. Happy New Guitar Day.

Archived