Who likes V necks?

billybilly

• Members

I don't, they hurt my thumb when doing barre chords or feel uncomfortable in my palm. I don't understand them at all, I'd rather have a flat U neck than a V neck. I've heard the whole "wrap your thumb over the top" routine but that pointy V is just uncomfortable, get a smaller neck if you want to wrap your thumb over the top FFS.

I've just decided they piss me off, I hate them, the end.

• Members

I prefer them on acoustics, at least a slight vee. Can't really say why, they just feel right. Possibly one reason is that I do play a lot of slide and the vee lets me reference the center of the neck with my thumb. Fwiw, I also like wider, flatter fretboards on my acoustics

My personal jury is still out on electrics - I frankly haven't played that many and when I build my Lester I pretty much copied the vintage profile on the plans. People who have played that guitar say they like the neck so that what I'll do on future electrics.

Sounds like I'm a minority on this one' date=' now I hate myself![/quote']

Not at all... everyone has their own personal preferences insofar as neck sizes and shapes, and you have nothing to apologize for. :)

I think the thing with V shaped neck profiles is that the narrow shoulders make it easier for those who do wrap their thumb around the neck. The point of the V fits into the pocket at the base of your thumb. I have fairly short fingers and because of that I like soft v shaped necks as long as they're not too thick from the point of the v to the center of the fingerboard. IOW, I want the neck to be thin from front to back, whether it's a v shaped profile or a c shaped one. I do like C shaped neck profiles too, but not thicker D or U shaped ones since the shoulders tend to be too thick for the neck to feel comfortable to me when they have a D or U profile. YMMV - and that's fine. You can have all the U and D shaped profiles, and I'll take all the C and soft V shaped ones, deal? ;):D

• Members

Depends on the individual neck. I have an old Epi acoustic that was supposed to be our daughter's. It has a "V" neck and I don't even notice after I've been playing for a few minutes. But last year I played an old Yairi in a Guitar Center and the "V" neck was very pronounced to the point where it didn't feel right.

• Members

I like the soft-V neck profiles on my strat and especially my tele - I like wrapping my thumb over, but I don't like thin necks at all, so a thinner neck is not a solution. My tele has a real baseball bat neck, and that's just the way I like it! ;)

• Members

I too play leads with the Thumb on the center back of the neck. It gives me maximum reach with my fingers.

A Sharp V can be neat for playing root cowboy chords but can be a bit uncomfortable for Bar chords and leads.

A softer V is better for me. It still allows less drag on the sides changing positions yet its thick enough so you don't

have wrist fatigue from a neck that's too shallow. Bends and slide are cool with a V too.

• Members

Depends on playing style. I like a V when playing acoustic finger-style because it puts the thumb in the correct place to support the hand. Don't like it on electric, but that's because it's a different instrument that I play and hold differently.

Choosing a neck shape is like choosing a kitchen utensil. Most people don't use a fork for eating soup, but they do work well for what they were designed for.

• Members

I love them. I have 2 necks from USA Custom Guitars, one is a Strat-style and one is a Tele. Both of them are 1 piece maple and have 22 frets, 1 11/16s nut size, 6000 size frets, and 20 inch radiuses. They are 0.9" thick at the nut, and have a "hard" V. I find the combination of the hard V and fret size makes them feel like a much smaller neck, while the size of the neck gives a stable platform for string bending, and lets me use an 11-56 set that feels a lot lighter, but sounds louder. The V shape is just one part of the total package. Just very comfortable for me, but not for everybody. I spent a lot of time earlier in my life playing classical guitar, and have always liked big necks, but have never felt comfortable with the U or baseball shaped necks. I think you find what works for you and gives you the sounds you want.

Archived