John Fogerty gets the prize

wankdeplank

• Members

Saw John Fogerty last night at the Pearl at the Palms (LV). Guy has a crack band (three guitar players, keyboards, bass and drummer), told an amusing story about following the Dead at Woodstock, and is a great performer (hard to believe he's 69). Great show I'd say, but I've honestly never been to a show where a guitarist changed guitars so often (back and forth and almost every song). I counted at least 11 guitars that he went through - at least three Les Pauls, at least two Telecasters, at least two acoustics, a PRS, an Ibanez, a Music Man and a special built baseball bat guitar. Most I'd seen before that was maybe Keith Richards with five or six.

• Members
He still does have it. I think Dire Straits had the most changes I have seen.

Really? I thought Mark Knopfler was known to stay with his faithful Strat. Oh and by the way, Fogerty seemed to favor his Goldtop with P90s over anything else. He went back to that one for several songs.

I do know that Credence was known to turn down a whole step on certain songs but that still doesn't explain eleven guitars and nine electrics. He also played a solo on most everything so I doubt very much he had any in open tunings. Probably just in D and E I imagine.

• Members
He still can deliver the goods !!!!

Yep, reminded me a bit of Mick Jagger running around that stage. Course Mick ain't usually sporting a guitar around his neck. I think the thing that impressed me the most was how strong his voice was and his ability to remember all those lyrics.

• Members
Maybe he switches guitars so often to make sure he can write them off for taxes? Did it slow down the show much? Why use a crescent wrench when you've got a socket set....

Nope, not a bit. He had a guy in the wings ready with the next guitar he was going to use.

I think you're right with the socket analogy. A Tele definitely has a different vibe than an LP for sure.

Tall wrote: "It was a while ago but Mark played some custom guitars (Pensa, I think) a couple of strats and a few LPs, and Dobro"

I've got a video of him on the album with Emmy Lou Harris and he's playing slide on a Danelectro. Dude's a hell of a slide player to boot. Really dig his playing a lot.

Can't say that Fogerty is in his class as a player. Obviously a great song writer, singer and all around musician though. One of the things I could have done without in the show was his harmonica playing (did a solo with the drummer). He and Neil Young should stick with what they're good at.

• Members

^Wow that was really cool. I didn't realize they'd ever collaborated on anything. Knopfler's sound is so iconic, you can always pick him out in a crowd.

6down wrote: "No Ric and Kustom SS amp for Suzy Q?"

Nope, not for John anyway. I think he's done with those Kustom amps, but I agree he got a great sound out of em on record. He was running through a Dr Z. As for the Ric, he didn't play one but his son and the other guitar player were passing one around, between LPs and acoustics.

• Members

^Wow that was really cool. I didn't realize they'd ever collaborated on anything. Knopfler's sound is so iconic, you can always pick him out in a crowd.

6down wrote: "No Ric and Kustom SS amp for Suzy Q?"

Nope, not for John anyway. I think he's done with those Kustom amps, but I agree he got a great sound out of em on record. He was running through a Dr Z. As for the Ric, he didn't play one but his son and the other guitar player were passing one around, between LPs and acoustics.

Forgot to mention that Suzy Q was one serious omission, along with Graveyard Train, I put a Spell on You and Tombstone Shadow. At least that's what me and a couple of buddies thought.

• Members
Forgot to mention that Suzy Q was one serious omission, along with Graveyard Train, I put a Spell on You and Tombstone Shadow. At least that's what me and a couple of buddies thought.

You know you've got some great songs when you can do a show and leave those ones out.

btw The blatantly 'Sultans' style guitar in "Nobody's Here Anymore" (left channel) is Fogarty and the subtle strat fills (right channel) is Knopfler.

• Members

You know you've got some great songs when you can do a show and leave those ones out.

btw The blatantly 'Sultans' style guitar in "Nobody's Here Anymore" (left channel) is Fogarty and the subtle strat fills (right channel) is Knopfler.

Really? Wow, never would have guessed that. Might have to run down a copy of that one to play on a decent stereo system.

Archived