Things you used to think were true?

Floyd Rosenbomb

• Members

I used to think I needed a big amp.

Also, that I was going to get my heavy tone from the type of guitar that I owned.

Lessons learned,

You can get a long way with a 5 to 20 watt tube amp.

You can make any type of guitar sound heavy with the right mix of pedals.

Simple stuff for most, but I had to learn it.

You?

• Members
I used to think I needed a big amp.

Also, that I was going to get my heavy tone from the type of guitar that I owned.

Lessons learned,

You can get a long way with a 5 to 20 watt tube amp.

You can make any type of guitar sound heavy with the right mix of pedals.

Simple stuff for most, but I had to learn it.

You?

Can you make a Ric sound like a Les Paul with the right pedals? I can't.

• Members

A long time ago, I used to think I'd be a really good guitarist someday. I'm still waiting. I also thought a guitar that looked good was "better" than a guitar that didn't. A local mom and pop had a cheap Fender, maybe a Bronco, sitting next to a Regal Les Paul copy. I just assumed the Regal was a much better guitar because it was prettier. I also thought some of the (I now realize) cheap guitars I owned were actually good ones.

• Members

Things I learned:

For heavy metal play a heavy metal guitar. Like a steel guitar. A heavy one. Use heavy strings.

For classical music use a classical guitar.

For blues music play a blue guitar.

For jazz music wear a beret or other funky hat.

For country music wear a cowboy hat.

For pop music drink soda pop before you play.

• Members

Old Virg can always manage to get a chuckle out of me.

I used to think that set-neck designs were far superior to bolt-ons and by extension that neck-thru designs had to be the greatest guitars ever built. I used to think that you got exactly what you paid for (more money = better guitar every time in every way). I used to think that there was more standardization to string spacing at the nut and at the bridge and fret size. There's more but I'd probably have to go into regression hypnosis to remember them all.

• Members
Used to think I'd live forever and put many things off till later. Now that later has come, I need to keep getting things done.

"Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun."

• Members
. . . For country music wear a cowboy hat. . . .

Things have changed though. I've seen pics of two of my uncles who were in a band years ago. They wore cowboy hats, Western shirts, boots, the whole nine yards. These days you can get by with a baseball cap with a John Deere logo. Jeans are a must though and preferably boots, although athletic shoes will do in a pinch, especially at a outdoor venue. Oh, yeah, you have to drink beer, whiskey, or cheap wine too. If you're female, big hair is a must.

• Members

I used to think everything I read on Guitar forums was true.

I used to think that the more posts a forum member had, the more knowledgeable he was.

I used to think I could improve as a guitar player by hanging out on guitar forums.

I used to think everyone else on the guitar forums played better than me.

I used to think that Virgman was really Bill Murray.

• Members
I used to think everything I read on Guitar forums was true.

I used to think that the more posts a forum member had, the more knowledgeable he was.

I used to think I could improve as a guitar player by hanging out on guitar forums.

I used to think everyone else on the guitar forums played better than me.

I used to think that Virgman was really Bill Murray.

That about say's it all

• Members

That taking all the strings off when changing strings would make neck look like pretzel.

Had to use some special cleaner for fretboard rather than windex and old towel.

Believed those who did evil would eventually be caught up with

USA was about democracy

• Members

Things have changed though. I've seen pics of two of my uncles who were in a band years ago. They wore cowboy hats, Western shirts, boots, the whole nine yards. These days you can get by with a baseball cap with a John Deere logo. Jeans are a must though and preferably boots, although athletic shoes will do in a pinch, especially at a outdoor venue. Oh, yeah, you have to drink beer, whiskey, or cheap wine too. If you're female, big hair is a must.

:philthumb:

hqdefault.jpg

Archived