looking for a new overdrive pedal

mistersully

• Members

DOD 250.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...KHwaArhj8P8HAQ

Years ago I bought one from Analogman that was a clone of the original. I've never not liked it. It is very transparent, goes from very subtle to all out. It is also terrific infront of a distortion pedal. I'm not really a fan of sweetwater's video demo on the page I linked to as I think that guitar is adding a lot of color to the sound, but anyway, great price on a classic pedal.

• Members

There is also the joyo stuff, which is much cheaper price wise. Just hit Amazon up and search Joyo overdrive and you'll see a bunch of options with great reviews. I've been pretty happy with their JF-02 Ultimate Drive Overdrive. It is not nearly as transparent as the DOD 250; the joyo is much more in your face, but never the less a good overdrive. I have to put more work into that pedal to arrive at a tone I want to use, but the tones are in there.

• Members

Believe it or not, the Vox Satchurator is a pretty awesome all around dirt box. Once you get past the JS part, it goes from fairly thick and chunky to over-the-top gain. Tone knob really helps. Works really well with picking dynamics, etc. And they're only $99 all day long.

• Members

Are you still using your Kemper? For me, I've used overdrive pedals in conjunction with a clean amp to get an overdriven amp sound. I know some guys use them to tweak their amp's overdrive tone. One can tweak the amp's profile in the Kemper. With the Kemper, I don't need/use pedals, except what's onboard.

• Members
Are you still using your Kemper? For me' date=' I've used overdrive pedals in conjunction with a clean amp to get an overdriven amp sound. I know some guys use them to tweak their amp's overdrive tone. One can tweak the amp's profile in the Kemper. With the Kemper, I don't need/use pedals, except what's onboard.[/quote']

hello mate... long time no see

yep, still using the kemper (thinking of picking up a princeton reverb at some stage just as a plug and play amp though)... i actually really like using pedals with the kemper... i know it has cool on board stuff, but i love using say a fuzz pedal with it and rolling back the volume a little on the guitar

i find using pedals with the kemper really adds something to it... livens it up or something... right now i'm stuck on using a trainwreck profile with my pedals

• Members

what do you already have, or what have you already tried? and what are you really after?

i have a stock TS-9 reissue i'm not wanting to miss, paired with a lpb-1 booster, its all i need.

somehow i don't like the bad monkey i also have, hmm it lacks a bit of gain, and imho having two tone knobs is not an advantage for me.

i have at least 10 other dirt boxes which on and off board from time to time, the ts9 is the only one which stays always there...

• Members

I've got a few I really like, depending on the situation.

I've been playing around with the MXR Classic Overdrive quite a bit lately. I think I paid $30 for it brand new on some GC closeout. It's actually 2 pedals in one, a GT-OD and a Zack Wilde OD. There's an internal dip-switch that toggles between the two. Not super transparent, but has some cool character in either setting, and is easy to pull good tones from. I read somewhere that it is similar in design to an old Boss Super OD.

One of my go-to pedals is the SIB Varidrive. It has a 12au7 in it (switchable to a 12a-whatever), which runs at full plate voltage and warms up anything it's put in front of. The EQ on it is amazing and very musical. It works especially well in front of Fenders and solid-state amps.

My bassist recently bought and is letting me borrow a Frantone Brooklyn OD. Very versatile OD with plenty of gain on tap. Fairly transparent, or not, if you don't want it to be.

Xotic BB Preamp - I'm borrowing this from my best friend to try out and I really like it. It's got kind of a dark character to it. I know you said nothing muddy, so I guess it depends on the rest of your set-up as to whether this one would work for you. I get great tones with it finding it gets along well with my AC30 clone and my single coil guitars.

MXR Distortion + (AnalogMan modded), technically not an OD, I guess, but it is pretty close to the DOD 250 in design, I believe. I use it more as an OD for light, gritty tones and to goose the front of my amp a bit.

Archived