Anyone have a perfect guitar?

Floyd Rosenbomb

• Members

My cheap copy fatstrat. It does everything I want and feels good.

The main indicator is that the LP, Matsumoku, Peavey and 335 have languished for the 2 years since I got it

On the other hand you'd probably hate it but for my "funk-jazz" rhythm based stuff ain't nothin' else like it

(okay the Les Paul eats it on sustain, I'm not above admitting that :D )

• Members

I'm inclined to doubt there is such a thing but I'm keeping an open mind. I certainly haven't played one yet. Then again, it would vary from one player to another. For example, my "perfect" guitar would be a lightweight hardtail. Yours might not.

• Members
My #1 is like that. I've never played it and not been really happy with the way it sounds and plays. 11 years and counting. :)

You're a lucky man, rare indeed to find an axe like that.

My Strat and my Martin are close... The Strat is a very full and lush sounding strat but can lack bass definition (feels and plays perfect) . My Martin sounds amazing but the neck is a little thin.

Keep in mind I've been through around 40 guitars to come down to these two.

• Members

I've a Melody Maker with 2 p90s. Perfect for an imperfect player. Not quite intonated; not perfect action. The resonance of the imperfections ring on like my out of tune piano. I grab it instead of the acoustic when plucking on the couch. The acoustic, couch, wife, and son aren't perfect either. The dog is close.

• Members

This one.... perfect neck profile, perfect control placement, perfect pickups, perfect weight, perfect ergonomics, and it makes all the sounds I want it to.... It is my main go-to guitar. If I were to design and build the perfect guitar for me, this would be it.

....Wait a minute, I DID design and build it (with more than just a little influence from PRS).

IMG_2527_zps63f28e8d.jpg

IMG_2528_zps412ffc0b.jpg

• Members

I have several that fit in this category. Some inexpensive, some mid.

My '81 AS200 Ibanez semihollow. A work of art. Plays and sounds amazing and looks almost new.

My '06 dlx strat is stellar.

On the cheap end, but just as good in many ways are my '86 RG440's(roadstar). Black and blue. Sound and play great...a perfect superstrat. They have a more strat style neck which I like way more than the wizards. I play them more than any and I have a total of 250 invested in the two.

Also, my '85 LS-150 Tokai Love Rock (LP replica) is a beautiful flame top '59 take and is all the LP anyone could hope for.

Lucky guy.

• Members

This may seem a bit trite or cliche', but I'd say my most astonishingly good sounding guitar is my Gibson Custom Shop '59 Reissue LP VOS. It does everything you'd want from a Les Paul. It's got the depth of tone, sustain, vibe, chime and really sweet-ass tones. The neck doesn't sound muddy, the bridge doesn't sound too hard, sharp or bright, everything just works. When I bought mine, they were $6.000 MAP and I bargained mine down to $4,500. My only point by bringing up the cost, is that it is indeed a pricey cost of admission, but the quality of tone is indeed there. I always remember once being in a very small ma 'n pa guitar store many years ago, and the owner saying "With Gibson, just get the most expensive level you can afford, because they just keep getting better and better. I've found that to be true. But, don't get me wrong, because i don't think that's were you need to be. I spend the majority of my time playing and enjoying more mid-priced guitars, i.e. $400 to $1,200. That's where my comfort level is. When I pick up that '59 RI though, I've never had a day when it didn't sound great out of the case. Most guitars you work to figure out where they excel, the '59 just tells you.

• Members
This one.... perfect neck profile, perfect control placement, perfect pickups, perfect weight, perfect ergonomics, and it makes all the sounds I want it to.... It is my main go-to guitar. If I were to design and build the perfect guitar for me, this would be it.

....Wait a minute, I DID design and build it (with more than just a little influence from PRS).

IMG_2527_zps63f28e8d.jpg

IMG_2528_zps412ffc0b.jpg

Nope not from an aesthetic standpoint, not if I have to compare them to this^.

I mean my present guitars are the ones that made the cut so let me see if I can separate the superstars from the role players. Left to right:

Carlo Robelli 335 copy - newest addition, only mod was replace the nut with tusq. Sound excellent, playability excellent. Best bargain guitar ever made IMO. -Superstar Washburn P290 - Kept it over a US Washburn C.S. P4, only mod was replace the nut with graphite. Sound really good, playability good, not quite on the same level as my US Hamers or Gibson (sounds great for slide though). -Role player Gibson Studio Lite (2000 special order) only mod was changed bridge pickup. This one came with Grover tuners with excellent tuning stability. Tone excellent, playability excellent. Never played a Les Paul I liked better. -Superstar Hamer HB Special (93) repaced lubritrac nut with graphite. Brazilian Rosewood fretboard. Sound excellent, playability excellent -Superstar Hamer Mirage II (98) replaced lubritrac nut with tusq. Sound excellent, playability excellent. -Superstar Two Fender Squier Series Strats (MIM 93 & 98) changed out pickups with alnicos, changed out trem blocks and nuts. Sounds excellent, plays excellent -Superstars Aria Pro II RS Bobcat (MIJ 83) changed two pickups, replaced nut with graphite. Sounds excellent, plays excellent -Superstar Fender American Standard (89) replaced nut with tusq and replaced two noiseless pickups with more organic singles. Sounds excellent, plays excellent though it's close to needing a fret dress. -Superstar Harmony H19 (1960s) souped up with pickups, bigsby, tusq nut and Schaller roller bridge. Sounds excellent, playability very good considering. Poor man's Ric, sounds dynamic, used mostly for slide. -Role Player Washburn Bantam Bass Stays in tune, plays good, sounds good. I'm not much of a Bass player but perfect for my needs. -Role Player

e2acf9f90486761ecccd433bb5d96cf8.thumb.jpg.199ba33f63c55a56d7fe56238ea561bb.jpg

Archived