Encouragement sought from "Gibson guys" - I think I hate my Les Paul?

Danhedonia

• Members

I'm a confirmed GASaholic, but up until a couple of years ago, had no Gibsons (I am a 'Fender guy,' and no, I'm not looking to dredge up Coke v. Pepsi).

As part of a two-year binge, I wound up grabbing a couple of cheapie Gibsons: an SG Special, and a Les Paul 50's Tribute. I'd never really played a lot of Pauls, though there was no aversion - just was never around them that much; SG's I knew, and I am pleased with the SG. At first I enjoyed the Paul, but now I'm doing a lot of recording and just finding ... that I am "just not that into it." I'm falling out of love, fast.

* The feel seems 'off.' I don't know if it's balance, how the shape fits my body, what, but it doesn't seem to want to sit where I am used to a guitar sitting. Is this nuts?

* After a period of a few months of not playing it, it seems that it's former decent amount of resonance and sustain has left the building. There is no obvious string wear and I constantly have 20-30 guitars around none of which have shown the same issue. WTF? It's a hardtail guitar, shouldn't it be ringing for days?

* Pickups now sound dark / muddy to me. This one really twists my noggin, because it supposedly has the same pickups as the SG (490/498 if memory is correct - and it may not be) and I love, love, love the sound of the SG. I am quite good with guitar set up and height adjustments haven't really done much to address this.

* Neck is just too fat for me. There, I said it.

Here is what I haven't done:

* Tried it with a bunch of different amps. I've only put it through an old Blues Deluxe and my beloved Egnater Rebel 30. I might try sending it through a JC-120 or an old Bassman ... meh.

* Change the strings.

* Try setting it up all over again. Where I live, this is not that much of a stretch, as we have intense desert conditions part of the year, then later we have monsoon / near-daily rain. After three years of drought, the southern Rockies had their wettest July and September in a long, long time.

If I'd bought a nicer version I guess I'd chase results harder, but when you have a dozen guitars literally within reach that you truly love playing, my motivation is low.

Encourage me?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

. . . * The feel seems 'off.' I don't know if it's balance, how the shape fits my body, what, but it doesn't seem to want to sit where I am used to a guitar sitting. Is this nuts? . . .

No. Sounds very reasonable to me.

. . . * Pickups now sound dark / muddy to me. This one really twists my noggin' date=' because it supposedly has the same pickups as the SG (490/498 if memory is correct - and it may not be) and I love, love, love the sound of the SG. . . .[/quote']

Again, not that surprising. The SG ought to be lighter than the Les Paul and I'd think that would affect how it sounds. Beyond that, sorry, I can't help.

• Members

Probably not what you want to hear Dan but all Les Pauls are not created equally. Not trying to disparage yours and it might be as simple as a new set of strings, but Gibson has cut a few corners on some of their less expensive models, and particularly between 2011 and 2013 after millions of dollars of tonewood was confiscated and before a settlement was met. Some of them had up to five piece bodies I understand and had baked maple fretboards. Not saying that any Les Paul that retails for less than two grand is crap, I have a special order Studio Lite from 2000 that is wonderful in every way (Grover tuners, figured rosewood fretboard and one piece back for reals), but I've played a few that weren't all that. I'd say flip it if you're not happy with it.

• Members

I am not trying to sound terrible but I have good taste in instruments (and a very tolerant-but-bemused group of local salespeople to confirm this) on a one-by-one basis and this is really not a bad guitar ... and I also played a Standard at the same time and could have purchased it, but this has a nicer neck. And when more accomplished players drop by, many choose the LP and say nice things about it without solicitation.

The strings are not two years old, but five months. For me, that's really not a long time. Scoff if you will, but I live in a climate where often there is literally next to no moisture, have a light touch, etc. etc. etc. I have bushel baskets of string sets, and I agree that perhaps I should just STFU and restring it. I will soon, and repost here. Per my post above, we HAVE had unusually damp late-summer weather here this year.

After posting before and spending more time tracking today, I realized that it's the shapes that just don't feel natural to me: the frets have a sort of different crown shape; the body is of course a different shape ... it seems that somehow, I've become "Fenderized" in my accustomed feel. Which is odd IMHO, as I have a fondness for a number of FMIC guitars that I wouldn't call similar (Mustang and Jazzmaster and Tele?). And of course there's the slight differences on the fretboard, though again: I play short-scale FMIC's and other guitars that have different scale lengths and radii.

And no, it's not heavy. And with a nice Keeley boost, it sounded good and mean today through the Egnater ...

... but I guess I'm just not a Les Paul guy. I always thought that was just a matter of time and opportunity. Guess not. Huh. Bummer.

• Members

Well, it's the morning, and I have a ton of grading to do (I teach now) and if I have 'music time' today, I have a bunch of vocals and solos to take care of - BUT. I will slap some new strings on there. And lube the nut slots and etc.

Also, I have a spare pair of Burstbuckers laying around that I'd purchased just for this guitar, I should also get the soldering iron out. Then again, I should also do a dozen other projects around the house ....

I should just sell the thing and get another Tele .... LOL. Or a Johnny Marr Jag.

• Members

One thing I do on all the Paul's I've owned is add a second strap pin at the back of the body at the heel of the neck. Its like drilling a hole through a Strat's neck plate and installing a strap pin there. This makes a Paul hang very differently when you wear it and it can be a whole lot more comfortable then wearing it up tight against your body especially when you get into the upper fret registers.

The big problem with the strap pin on the body side is you have to pull your elbow back when you get up high on the neck and this cramps your wrist from flexing. With the pin on the back of the body you can turn the neck outwards or push the body left to get up top. This keeps your arm parallel to your body and keeps your elbow at a right angle to the neck which really makes a difference if you're used to playing a Strat.

I even do this on several of my Strats by using a longer neck plate screw and threading a strap pin through it so I have both options. My belly isn't as thin as it used to be either and having the guitar strapped there makes it hang straight down.

• Members

To be honest...

Les Pauls really aren't for everyone and a lot of good players aren't all that comfortable playing them. I really believe part of the appeal is the fact that some do find them difficult.

If you're right handed you can play most guitars sitting with the saddle on your right leg. A LP you really need to sit on your left leg or you will never balance the big butt.

Many will find the upper fret access difficult on a LP bu you have to think like a violin player and learn to play up there without using your thumb and you'll do fine.

As far as amps go, they seem to really like tubes and there's something about a dimed Marshall and a LP that is just magic.

• Members
Dude' date=' check the intonation. . . .[/quote']

Wrong advice:

. . . I am quite good with guitar set up . . .

Being good with setup includes being able to adjust intonation properly. Plus, poor intonation doesn't account for what the OP is experiencing:

. . . * The feel seems 'off.' I don't know if it's balance, how the shape fits my body, what, but it doesn't seem to want to sit where I am used to a guitar sitting. Is this nuts?

* After a period of a few months of not playing it, it seems that it's former decent amount of resonance and sustain has left the building. There is no obvious string wear and I constantly have 20-30 guitars around none of which have shown the same issue. WTF? It's a hardtail guitar, shouldn't it be ringing for days?

* Pickups now sound dark / muddy to me. This one really twists my noggin, because it supposedly has the same pickups as the SG (490/498 if memory is correct - and it may not be) and I love, love, love the sound of the SG. I am quite good with guitar set up and height adjustments haven't really done much to address this.

* Neck is just too fat for me. . . .

Intonation adjustments won't affect balance, the shape of the guitar, sustain, or overall tone, nor will they affect the size or profile of the neck.

• Members

Personally I really like the sound of my Les Paul Studio with 490/498 pickups through a Fender Blues Deluxe.

I believe it simply comes down to personal preference - which is why there are so many different choices available.

My advice is don't try too hard to like something you don't simply because others like it or because of the hype associated with it.

• Members

I share your problem.I was (am) a strat player and I bought an LP standard. Despite my optimism it just doesn't feel right. Like wearing dads suit.

The strat was designed around the human body and the ergonomics are excellent but I never managed to do the opposite-- shape my body round the Les Paul.

Everything from the lack of "comfort contour" to the sharp "teeth like" bridge and the picnic table feel clumsy.

I often wonder if the fact that Leo was not a guitarist so went out and asked guitarists what they wanted was what made the strat so good. I'm not sure that sustain was so much of an issue in 1954 music or Guess he would have factored that in too.

• Members

I have an Epiphone Les Paul...it's a bolt on custom- probably could be the worse LP ever...to a purist.

I had it set up by a local shop specializing in vintage instruments. I was very sheepish...but they assured me it was a good guitar. They have got it dialed in and it's been my main go to for 8+ years now. She runs great in most any amps and configurations. It's my "tryout" guitar. If it doesn;t sound good with my Epi LP...it likely just doesn't sound good. BUT! you need to put it through a LOT of amps to tell. Certainly the guitar and amp combination is critical!

So take it to a pro. There's no reason for a modern Gibson LP to not get dialed in. Sometimes it takes a DIFFERENT look. I was almost too proud to take it in but best thing I ever did!

It could be the guitar is not for you. Don't be ashamed.

• Members

Rather than a LP, I got the Yamaha SG2000, which lacks some of the LP features that bug some people.

- The strap button is at the back of the neck/body interface, so the guitar hangs nicer than a LP (to me).

- The neck-through construction means they were able to give it much better upper fret access.

But... I also have to admit that since I've had most of my experience with Strat-shaped guitars it still feels a bit like wrestling still.

• Members

I'm also a Fender guy... and I've tried to love Les Paul's for years... Epiphone, Gibson, etc... Just have not found one that spoke to me as much as my Tele or a good Strat. I think you just develop an ear for what you're used to, plus you like the feel of what you're used to. Finally decided that I just needed to stick to what I know. Sold everything else, and just have a Tele and Strat now.

• Members

"~~...I like Burstbusters better than 498/400's (they're more articulate and clear sounding,especially the 1's) "

+100 Burstbuckers are great, to get a live sounding Les Paul that will feel more Fendery to your ears look for an older (not more expensive, medium to light weight one., you can get a good 12 pounderer that will sing but I do not think it will be music to your Fender ears!

• Members

Wrong advice:

Being good with setup includes being able to adjust intonation properly. Plus, poor intonation doesn't account for what the OP is experiencing:

Intonation adjustments won't affect balance, the shape of the guitar, sustain, or overall tone, nor will they affect the size or profile of the neck.

Intonation won't affect overall tone you say? Huh, you must not know what you are talking about.

Also, you don't think intonation will effect body shape??? Really? I thought for sure intonation could change body shape, ...wow that's news to me.

Basically, if someone is complaining about how a guitar over all feels like crap to them, a good thing to check is the intonation because if that is off then no matter what you do the guitar will feel and play like crap. It's like like riding a bike with flat tires, does not matter how nice the bike really is, it will still feel like junk.

Also, the majority of posters here will likely state that they know how to set up a guitar. What is odd is that every time I buy a used guitar the guitar is totally out of set up. I don't think most guitarists know how to set up a guitar, actually. They know how to do what they think of as "Set up" but in reality there is a million miles between their guitar and actual set up.

• Members

No Dan, this post won't be about the intonation.....

The strap pin movement, I wouldn't bother with, since it sounds like when you sit, the guitar doesn't feel right in that regard. As an aging American male, with the ever expanding waistline, certain guitars just DON'T fit. My Paul clone, the Manoman, has moved away from me when I sit, but, I learned to deal with it, since my first real guitar was a 72 custom, and I personally feel that the Paul is the perfection of guitar design.

After your years with the strat, maybe it just isn't for you. I,, while not a strat fan, feel the same way when I hold one. it doesn't "fit" me.

The issues with the neck, well, if feeling brave, take out some sand paper, and get busy.

The tone of the pickups, easy enough fix, try some different ones. And yes, changing your strings should improve the sustain, or lack of.

Archived