Pedal info

gardo

• Members

Since watching the Robin Trower video I dug out an old chorus pedal that's been packed away and realized that I really don't know much about it. Its an Ibanez Super Stereo Chorus SC10 made in Taiwan probbaly from the 80's. I bought it used about twenty years ago tried it out once or twice and forgot about it. It has the normal in and out plugs but also one marked INV / OUT ,What is this for ?fetch?id=31269479

• Members
"Inverted stereo": http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ibanez/10/sc10. Apparently stereo with one channel reversed in phase(?) This used to be a technique for removing vocals from stereo recordings. Centered audio (stuff common to both channels like vocals) got cancelled out. What it might be used for here is anybody's guess.

Thanks. I followed the link and it seems that if I use two amps I can play in stereo . I'll be in the basement for a while tying this out..

• Members

Thanks. I followed the link and it seems that if I use two amps I can play in stereo . I'll be in the basement for a while tying this out..

Cool. :philthumb: Keep us posted. There was a rousing discussion about stereo amps over in the Amps Forum not long ago. It'll be interesting to get your take on the results.

• Members

I had some fun playing around with everything. I used two very different amps a Gemini 1 and a Mustang 1 .I found some decent sounds blending them and trying differnt settings on the mustang. Because the gemini's 2 channels are in phase I also played around usingj them instead of the mustang. I would use all bass on channel 1 and all treble on channel 2. or add reverb on one channel . I think there are some things i can do with the pedal. At the end of the evening I unplugged everything and just played one channel of the gemini clean with reverb and still prefer that sound. Plus it's a lot less messing around not having tobalance things and changie settings , just plug and play.

• Members

"It has the normal in and out plugs but also one marked INV / OUT ,What is this for ?"

A chorus effect blends the unaffected sound with a delayed sound while using a low frequency oscillator to slightly vary the delay time.

The Roland Stereo Chorus used in the JC-120 puts the straight sound in one speaker and the modulated delayed sound in the other adding another dimension to the sound. When collpsed to mono the chorus effect is still audible.

Another form of Stereo Chorus mixes the straight sound with the delay in phase on one side and the straight sound with the delay out of phase on the other side. With this type of chorus, if you send both outputs to a mono amplifier you would hear no chorus at all but it sounds very spacious and wide when amplified in stereo.

The INV/OUT is the one with the chorus blended out of phase.

• Members
Apparently stereo with one channel reversed in phase(?)

The inverted audio output channel is *likely* not out-of-phase in relation to the main output channel.

The low frequency oscillator waveform (usually sawtooth) that modulates the chorus' delay is instead out-of-phase on the alternate channel. In other words, when the delay on the main channel is trending shorter, the delay is trending longer on the alternate channel. The effect you get is a smooth ping-ponging movement between the two audio channels that almost has a 3-D quality about it.

If the two audio channels were simply out-of-phase, the stereo image you would get would be static -- no movement between channels as described earlier.

• Members

Radar Love has it right. The LFOs runs at the same frequency on both outputs, but the two LFO waveforms are ”out of phase” with each other, creating stereo movement. The dry signal is in phase, just the effect is inverted. If the wave is set to 180 the LFO outputs are 180 degrees apart, so that when one LFO reaches its peak, the other is at its minimum. This is a typical of many chorus pedals because its very inexpensive to accomplish. Some of your better chorus units let you change the speed of the two LFO's, and still others have the ability to auto pan the dry signal too.

Yup - the last two posts have it right. :philthumb:

If you want to run in stereo, use the second output to feed the second amplifier (or mixing board channel if you're going direct - pan the two channels hard left / right) and you'll hear stereo chorusing.

I had a SC10 years ago - it's a good sounding analog chorus pedal. Its main weakness IMHO ia the PCB mounted jacks, which can lead to cracked solder joints and intermittent contact over time as stress on the jacks fatigues things. It's a very common problem with the 10 and L series Ibanez pedals. Just use caution and care when connecting / disconnecting your cables and try not to put any stress on the jacks and you should be okay for quite a while... and if it ever starts giving you problems, those solder joints are the first thing to check / touch up.

• Members

I used to have one of these...

mxr_stereo_chorus_vintage.jpg

I used it with a Fender Twin and a home made footswitch that I used to send the guitar signal to one channel or the other of the amp.

I also used the footswitch to effectively turn off the chorus by combining the two Outs from the pedal. The direct sound from the two outputs added together and the chorus sound was completely cancelled out.

The same thing happens with the Boss CE-3...

2311155.jpg

... when the Stereo Mode is set to D+E and D-E

This may not be the case for all Stereo Chorus pedals but, looking at the schematic, it appears to me that it is indeed the case for the SC-10 as well.

fetch?id=31270072

Archived