Restrining with a Whammy Bar

RDouglas

• Members

I am working on a product that might help individuals like myself, that have Floyd Rose whammys and find at times, restringing is a pain. I am curious if anyone thinks there would be an interest in a product that does not mount to the guitar, yet keeps the whammy in place so as you restring the guitar, it does not pull the whammy forward and you have to deal with tightening and loosening the screws to the springs underneath.

Let me know what you all think. It works for me, I am not trying to sell it on here, but want to get feedback on it before I think about making it as a full blown product

Thanks

Rob

• Members

I change all my strings at the same time on my floyd guitars but even then I wouldn't pay for anything. I simply install the bar and use it to level the trem while I install the strings. Works like a charm.

I know others will just use a stack of picks or a 9V battery to block the trem at level position while they do the string change.

Sorry....but I don't see much of a market for it.

• Members

I use a toothbrush under the whammy to keep it level if I have to change all the strings. I usually just change one at a time. I don't think you could make any money from this even if you built it as there are not enough FR guitars out there in the first place.

• Members

Yep, I just use a small stack of coins and do one at a time and up to tune.

Using my own technique even setting up a floyd from scratch is a walk in the park

1 Stack coins under the bridge to level

2 Screw the spring tension up 2 or 3 turns

3 Restring and tune

4 Slowly back off the spring tension until the coins 'just' drop out and you are about home and dry :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've used a sturdy spatula when I've done full restrings on Floyds. the one string at a time is great but every once in awhile I like to have them all off for a good fretboard cleaning, and cleaning the hardware, around pickups, etc. I had that of something that was simply rigid but soft plastic and L or U shaped would do the trick.

• Members

That's one area where Steinberger bridges beats the Floyds. They have a little latch at the tail you can flip up to lock the tremolo. Change strings, tune to pitch like you would a hard tail. Then when you release the lock, you have a knob tucked away next to the latch which adjusts the spring tension, and you adjust the spring tension to match the string tuning to the locked tail. This way the guitar is in tune weather the tail is locked or not.

Cool concept and it works great. If you happen to snap a string you can always lock the tail and your other strings will be in tune.

The only drawback is the guitars designed for double ball strings but you can get around that by buying the locking adaptor that fits on the headstock and works like a locking nut. You can then use any strings you like and just use the Allen screws to lock them down on that end.

• Members
Yep, I just use a small stack of coins and do one at a time and up to tune.

Using my own technique even setting up a floyd from scratch is a walk in the park

1 Stack coins under the bridge to level

2 Screw the spring tension up 2 or 3 turns

3 Restring and tune

4 Slowly back off the spring tension until the coins 'just' drop out and you are about home and dry :)

That's what I do, but I have one of these installed on my guitars with Floyds and two-point trems

225bca0af8aae3869f7479b84d207c7b.gif.6b671f256555381e4121971e394fb053.gif

• Members

Too late...there's already a tool out there. But most Floyders know simple household items will do just fine.

I have an old plastic bic-type lighter that's flat---slips right under the back.

I already know about the product and never recommend it. Yours would be no different. Sorry.

• Members

Okay let's try it this way.

If you have a product that would hold the trem in place, no coins or spatulas, or need to tighten or loosen screws, would that not make sense? I am thinking about the trem moving forward, not backwards, and this would hold it perfectly in place, not scratch the guitar in any way, and be priced at about 10.99 max.

I understand the trem moving backwards, I am talking about it moving forwards as you tune the strings, not sure if that makes any sense or not. You could put it in place, take off all the strings, clean the guitar thoroughly, then put new stings on and not have to mess with the springs at all. Secondly, it would not mount to the guitar like the tremelo no.

Thanks

• Members

Why are people messing with the springs when re-stringing? I've been using Floyds for over 20 years and have never once touched the springs when simply re-stringing. I just put an eraser, 9 volt, or something under the trem to keep it level. Or, as was mentioned, just use the bar to keep it level while installing strings.

• Members
Why are people messing with the springs when re-stringing? I've been using Floyds for over 20 years and have never once touched the springs when simply re-stringing. I just put an eraser' date=' 9 volt, or something under the trem to keep it level. Or, as was mentioned, just use the bar to keep it level while installing strings. [/quote']

There is no reason to do anything with springs. Might be some typos going on maybe?

There aren't any screws to mess with besides the locking nut and saddle string locks.

There's also very little reason to worry about the trem moving FORWARD. *ANY* restringing- whether it's one at a time or complete fretboard cleaning with all six strings off...results in the trem moving backward. I wouldn't use coins back there, but if you put something that fits firmly behind the trem before you start- whatever backwards movement is nullified and the guitar restrings nearly perfectly.

If you are going to retune- say from C or Eb to E Standard....then the trem will pull forward and that's a whole nother ballgame.

OP>..it's almost like you have no clue how a Floyd actually works. But you seem set on doing the project so just do it.

• Members

While it's an interesting area to try to make easier, it's not something I would likely send money on. As people have said, I also change them one string at a time for many string changes. Even when I take them all off to oil the fretboard and polish the frets, I just use my whammy bar to pull the bridge to a level position so my wrench can tighten the clamps. Having some apparatus around to make this one minute activity easier seems like more hassle. Just finding it and setting it up somehow would probably take longer than what I already do.

• Members

My first response is get a hardtail. However, I made a gizmo from a bolt and a T-nut to block the trem on my Strat. It's cheap and easy to make and has the advantage of being adjustable. Seems like it would work in this instance. I'm thinking of calling it a Strat-a-Gem. Any thoughts?

• Members

Deepend....your first response is not a very good one. There's actually no real complaint going on here. That said...there are MANY things you can do with a Floyd that you can't do with a hardtail...or even Fender trem.

One of the things that I like with the Floyd is the very large platfrom for my palm. I can roll my palm back and forth. Not so easy on my vintage Tele.

There are 3 scenarios if you have issues:

1) Floyd is set up wrong

2) you don't understand a Floyd

3) it's not for you

I like the Wilkensen system...works really great. But...it still can't do what Floyds do. But...you have to want it and understand it.

• Members
Deepend....your first response is not a very good one. There's actually no real complaint going on here. . . .

. . . There are 3 scenarios if you have issues: . . .

. . . 3) it's not for you . . .

Or maybe you just don't get it. My "first response" was tongue-in-cheek. Anyway, a hardtail doesn't have restringing issues. There are no gymnastics involved to keep it in tune. That said, I'll choose #3. A guitar with a trem--any trem--is simply not for me. Anyway, there's clearly no point in trying to give a constructive response. This isn't the thread for that.

• Members

A floyd doesn't have restringing issues either...if you know what you are doing. no gymnastics involved. In fact...I bet that I can restring a broken string faster with a floyd than you can do with any other bridge.

LOL>..just try me.

Loosen the nut...loosen the block.....pull the borken piece out...put the new part of the string in. Tighten block. Tune. Tighten nut. Tune.

Don't even need a new string...LOL!

That is...if your guitar is so BAD it breaks strings in the first place.

Archived