Strat in all of its glory.

Floyd Rosenbomb

• Members

I always think of Pink Floyd as having two distinct chapters - almost as if they were two different bands.

There is the pre Dark Side band in this video then the post Dark Side big commercial entrprise.

Interesting enough this is the band that recorded Dark Side - not the bigger group that plays the album live these days.

• Members

I just love the simple black and white strat, single ply guard and vintage trem, looks amazing to me.

And Gilmour, omg gilmour, I'm rediscovering that at about 10 years old all I ever wanted to do in life was record in a way that was reminiscent of Dark Side.

Anyway, Gilmore says just enough, the tracks are not over loaded with notes and there is lots of S P A C E between phrases. I think his playing and tone are perfect. When he speaks it means something and it's for a reason, no BS. We can all learn something from that approach.

Dark Side was a high water mark, no doubt. You get that close to perfection and ...well, good luck ever getting that close again.

7cPFh_YAm6E

• Members

From what I understand, Gilmour was a reluctant lead guitarist. He originally played rhythm but had to step up when Syd Barrett could no longer perform.

His minimalist approach to lead guitar was in stark contrast to the flashy British guitar heros of the day who wanted to show off.

It's as if he wanted to get the job done with the least amount of notes possible. An inspiration to us all.

Like Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour "composes" his guitar solos and they both stick pretty close to recorded versions when they play live.

• Members

"Dark Side of the Moon" was recorded by Alan Parsons who was the tape operator for the Beatles rooftop concert and an assistant engineer for their "Abbey Road" album.

Listen to "Sun King" from "Abbey Road" and imagine it without the vocal. It's very 'Floyd' (specifically Dark Side)in its texture.

• Members
From what I understand, Gilmour was a reluctant lead guitarist. He originally played rhythm but had to step up when Syd Barrett could no longer perform.

His minimalist approach to lead guitar was in stark contrast to the flashy British guitar heros of the day who wanted to show off.

It's as if he wanted to get the job done with the least amount of notes possible. An inspiration to us all.

Considering that he's written/recorded two of the greatest solos in rock music in a single song (the first "happy" solo in "Comfortably Numb" and the brilliant "angry" solo later in the same tune), he's definitely a lead guitarist. He's just (along with Knopfler and May) an incredibly tasteful lead player.

Probably the greatest performance of the song; watch the body movements of the audience near the end: they're frickin' hypnotized.

[video=youtube;vi7cuAjArRs]

Archived