Buzzing sound in Knob/Pot

luis_91_91

• Members

If the connections are ok you won't need to do anything to them, only if one has come adrift will you need to resolder. They usually break if the pot mounting nut has become loose and the constant moving fatigues them.

Just take the back cover off and check for any disconnected wires. If everything looks good and firm try running the pot back and forth fast a few dozen times it could just be a dirty track (especially if it has been standing) and that often cleans them up.

If you decide to replace anything take a nice close up pic of the cavity before you start, that way you can't forget what wires went where.:cool:

I'm assuming you mean mains hum by buzz. If it is a hissy crackly noise it is probably dirty or worn tracks as above.

• Members

Tnx 4 the fast response!

I don't think its dirt because it doesn't sound scratchy (and already moved back and foth the knob). Rather it sounds a constant buzz in middle volumes, as when you touch the cable unpluged-end.

Maybe my best bet is to check for loose cables. Do you think of any other option there is that we're not seeing yet?

• Members

Yeah I know! Seems late there, hehe. Here it's almost 20:00 hrs. Have a nice rest!!!!sm-goodnight

About your "curiosity" smiley-happy... On it's own. It doesn't matter wich pickup you choose. Whenever you chose volume between 2 or 9, it makes a loud buzz sound. The only fix by now is turning all way up to 10 (or 1) and the buzz stops.

PS

When you choose the humbucker or 2 single coils the buzz is a little less noticeable, but still there.

• Members

I think Chordite is right on the money.

If the ground connection has come off the Volume pot then instead of acting as a voltage divider the volume control becomes a series resistor.

With the control turned all the way up the pickup(s) is connected directly to the output of the guitar and there is no series resistance added to the circuit.

As you turn the control down, some resistance is introduced into the circuit reducing the volume but introducing noise because the pot is not grounded.

What model Pacifica do you have? Do you need to remove the strings and pickguard to look at the volume control or does it have a backplate that you can remove.

If all of the connections look solid when you examine them then you may need to replace the volume control as it could be defective.

• Members

Okay, so basically as per working on a strat. You can slacken the strings right down and get the whole works off but there is usually a ground wire through the body to the trem spring compartment which you will need de-solder and re attach after.

You shouldn't need to buy cable, we are probably just re attaching a loose joint

Pot terminals can take max 10 seconds or so to make the joint with no worries. If you haven't quite got your act together after 10 seconds just let it cool down for a minute and try again. It is wise to put a crocodile clip on the lead to any capacitor to dissipate heat before it gets to the component.

You probably won't get that smooth round pro looking joint as a beginner.

There are youtubes on soldering though most of them don't seem to close up on how to solder to pot terminals. However you have all the other connections on the guitar to see what you are aiming for.

• Members
BTW... I have an "EG 112 C"

I recommend you take the strings off your guitar in order to facilitate removing the pickguard.

If you want to use the same strings you can leave them in the bridge but you should get them off the tuning machines.

If you can post a photo of the controls before you start we can advise you on the most efficient way of solving your problem so that you don't do anything unnecessary that may lead to further problems.

• Members

From the description of the problem, more than likely there is a broken or cold solder joint on the back of a pot.

The ground (earth, common) bus wire just needs to be re-sweated across all of the pots and possibly to the output jack and bridge -- but most likely on the pots. Sometimes it takes years for cold solder joints to finally start acting up.

• Members

Hey Guys!

I took the Guitar back to Yamaha, but I'm having trouble with the tech-boy "wanting" to fix this...

Could it be possible that my amplifier causes all the noise and grounding problems? (instead of the guitar and the volume pot issue)

I have a GoldeA GF-10 and it doesn't make any buzzes by itself until the guitar is connected.

Thanks in advance for this!!!

• Members

Pleased you have a result :)

Somewhat bewildered why the amp didn't have the problem when the guitar volume pot was on 10 or zero but of course the guitar earth goes right through the amp so if the earth "chain" is broken anywhere on it's length the effect is similar I guess.

• Members

Good job guys!

Your fast responses stopped me from opening the gutar right away, invalidating my warranty and therefore have more time thinking about this and finding an alternative solution I didn't figured out at first bunches of "tries"!

Impressive that you could help me from across the pond in England!

Archived