I modded my USA Peavey Predator today

PunkKitty

• Members

I bought this a couple of months ago for much less than the market value. It was in almost new condition. So I had to fix that.

The pickguard is the original pickguard from my other Predator. It's naturally aged. That's PC for stained by cigarette smoke. I used some miscellaneous single coils that I had lying around. The neck is a generic lipstick pickup. The middle is a standard Mighty Mite. The bridge is a Carvin S60A. Surprisingly they sound good together. The Carvin and the Mighty Mite are RWRP so that's an added bonus. It's also surprisingly quiet. I added shielding to the Mighty Mite. The Carvin is sealed but it's not a stack.

I also installed a Wilkinson bridge to get a nice heavy steel block. That really helps sustain.

DSCF0358_zpse1713853.jpg

• Members
Shows what folks can do. I was under the impression only the middle was supposed to be RWRP. I can't see the pic because I'm at work but Happy New Mod Day.

The middle pickup is RWRP to the bridge pickup. So there's no hum when using the middle and bridge pickup.

• Members

Reverse Wound, Reverse Polarity. The two single coils in a humbucker pickup are RWRP so that they cancel out 60-cycle hum.

^ This. AFAIK, the middle pickup on a Strat is typically RPRW with respect to the neck and bridge pickups so you get hum cancelling when they're used together (neck+middle or bridge+middle). That's why I asked about the bridge pickup being RPRW like the middle, which would give them the same polarity and winding, I think, and eliminate the hum cancelling.

• Members
Monica do you have a pic post-lipstick?

And Virg, I don't know that Peavey Predators could rightly be classified as rare. I had one for a couple years and left it stock, but either way there's plenty more out there.

BK,

They are as priceless as an Andy Warhol painting of Popeye.. I am considering a call to the Mod-Police to report this issue.

Archived