Just bought a broken guitar.

Maiham

• Members

It's a left-handed Ibanez GRX20 with half the bridge missing and some dings. I play anything ranging from indie rock to punk, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for bringing it back to good shape. This'll be my first project guitar and my first real experience taking a guitar apart.

• Members

Keep all parts in a container you can close

Take photos of wiring before you desolder anything

Mark each pickup

Use the right size screwdriver (usually looks larger than you think), particularly on the neck screws.

Do things in sensible order and be especially careful if you decide to adjust the truss rod

I would suggest fit a replacement bridge first string it up and do an analysis before deciding to strip it right down.

Are you R or L handed.?

• Members

If you're right handed you're going tom at least make a new nut for it. Getting a right handed bridge is optional depending on weather it will even fit. Probably cant do much about the controls being on the wrong side, but you can rewire then to spin in the right hand direction clockwise to turn them up. (Lefties wire their pots backwards so they turn up with the left hand counter clockwise)

You may also want to get right handed tuners. Again this is optional and how screwed up it feels to use tuners that work backwards.

• Members

Inspect, clean, and adjust. Then go nuts. Personally, I like to install threaded brass inserts and machine screws for the neck bolts, but that's just me. Fret level and dress if necessary. Should be a decent modding platform, and cheap enough to replace just about everything on it.

I'd probably look to steam out some of the smaller dents, and cover up anything that can't be steamed out with inlay.

Archived