Uni solution

Tedis1111

• Members

I'm heading off to uni soon and I'm looking for a way to keep playing electric guitar without making everyone hate me.

I currently only own a guitar and an amp (which I really dont want to lug up to uni with me)

I was looking into something like guitar rig 5 but i know almost nothing about it (such as what type of audio interface to use) and whether or not it'll sound like {censored} through my £40 headphones.

I'm sure people have been in similar situations and might have some solutions

also sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this.

• Members

There are lots of headset adapters tuned to sound like specific amps. The Vox AC30 one is decent. Many mini amps (1W) available too. Mostly it depends on what you play and whether an amp is enough or you need pedals, etc... I have a Danelectro mini amp I paid $12 and I like for playing blues. All those miniamps will take a headset and many run on battery.

• Members

Keep playing!, nothing like music to relax between study session!

Google mini-amp for lots of options from cheap the Danelectro HoneyTone (I got mine for $12), to something like the Orange Micro Crush Pix or even a Mustang mini which is larger but has a number of cab emulation and presets that give you a range of tone (I've never used the Mini but I own both a Mustang I and Mustang III)

One feature to look at for is line-in ability if you ever play along with music or jam tracks.

As far as effects, my kid bought a cheap iRig interface to use with the Amplitube app on his iPod, but effects sounded pretty bad. your mileage may vary. If you want/need effects, I suggest looking at cheap multieffect pedals, like a line6 pod or Zoom G3, or an even cheaper DigiTech unit like the RP55 (which I have never tried, so can't speak to quality).

Not gigging quality, but enough to keep you mad skills up, and maybe jam with a few friends.

As I said above, it all depends on your budget

• Members

The Vox AmPlug has already been mentioned. Another option is a small amp with a headphone jack. My 25 Watt Roland amp was cheap from a pawn shop and it has a very welcome headphone jack. I don't know what kind of guitar you have but a hollowbody or semi hollow like an Epiphone Dot might also be a decent solution. Here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscar-Schmidt-OE30-Semi-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar-Black-FAST-SHIPPING-/161272195723?pt=Guitar&hash=item258c926a8b

• Members

I have a Vox bass amplug, I don't really like it. It has hissy background noise and isn't versatile at all. I'm one of those people that MUST have reverb on my guitar, even moreso with headphones. So I would suggest some type of POD unit (about $130 - $200 US) as they are made for exactly this purpose. Lots of built-in amp models and effects... A small amp with a headphone jack as previously mentioned ^^^ would be a good choice too. Roland SoundCube or Fender Mustang. They are basically a POD device with a small amp and speaker.

And whatever you do, complete your Uni studies and GET THAT DEGREE. Take from a college flunk out, life is harder without that degree.

• Members

I have a cigarette amp and a mini marshal that's plenty loud enough for practice. I'd still prefer my little 15W Marshall valvestate with the master turned down however. Its only got an 8" speaker and can be loud enough to jam with, but its got two preamp knobs you can crank to get a Marshall tone at low volume. I leave mine next to my easy chair so I can practice licks, while watching the tube.

Archived